UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> The GSP advantage people don't think of

3/18/13 8:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
D241
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

his financial dedication to his craft.

Now this is definitely an advantage, whether it's an unfair one may be up for debate. Personally, I think he's earned this right.

Having earned his way to the top of the UFC WW mountain, along with being the champ, comes some big paydays. And Since GSP just wins wins wins, gets big fights, his money grows along with his W's in his win column.

He's not the only champion to have money, but as far as what's publicized, GSP seems to have no problems using his hard earned money to pay for top of the line training in all areas of fighting.

Think about it-

-Boxing he hires arguably the greatest boxing coach of all time in Freddie Roach(and I'm sure GSP spars/trains with some legit named boxers.

-In terms of takedowns and takedown defense, he works with the Canadian Olympic wrestling team. Not NCAA div one all Americans, not NCAA div 1 champions, OLYMPIC level wrestlers on a regular basis

-In the grappling area he's trained with Jeff Danaher, Braulio Estima, Roger Gracie, Renzo Gracie, along with many others

-Strength and conditioning he works with olympic level training facilities and olympic level gymnast trainers to help him work on his flexability-how many fighters think of training this aspect?

-He pays for publicist to handle his image and has a team to take care of all the small jobs he doesn't have time to focus on, so he can keep his focus and training on fighting.

What are the chances that up and comers who don't have the experience, don't have the athleticism, don't have the resources to match his level of training, what are the chances that an up and comer dethrones GSP before GSP's age starts playing a factor?

GSP turns 32 next month which for him and his career, I'd say is the end of his prime. I know this varies, but taking into account his whole career and who he's had to face, I think he's peaked in terms of athleticism.

3/18/13 8:29 PM
Letibleu
1665 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had a conversation with someone Saturday about this. The hunger to get to the top should counter this. The king of the mountain always had the advantage.

I think we might be seeing the end of GSP in his prime. Hard to say as a layman though.
3/18/13 8:36 PM
Jambo888
509 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

definitely helps to have more than enough funding

3/18/13 8:38 PM
Trane

You've been on a GSP tear as of late what gives?
3/18/13 8:40 PM
Trane

Anderson has Segal which is more valuable than GSP money.
3/18/13 8:42 PM
ufc98newb
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Letibleu - I had a conversation with someone Saturday about this. The hunger to get to the top should counter this. The king of the mountain always had the advantage.

I think we might be seeing the end of GSP in his prime. Hard to say as a layman though.

agreed .this is one part of it. also, gsp has been around forever. his game has pretty much evolved to what it is gonna be. any opponent can watch mountains of tape on the guy, figure out his tendencies, and be prepared for exactly what he may do. Yet, he still beats every opponent handily. Guys coming up through the ranks always have the advantage of unpredictably. Their greatest skills haven't all been uncovered, and maybe more importantly, any weaknesses may have yet to be uncovered in their short time. That alone trumps a lot in mma. It is why guys like Sokoudju and Houston alexander look so great for awhile. It is also ONE of the reasons I think Weidman will be a huge threat to Anderson. 

There is a reason it seems to be harder to defend championships than to attain them sometimes. A guy in GSP's position would be foolish not to use every resource possible to stay at the top. 

3/18/13 9:01 PM
D241

Edited: 03/18/13 9:01 PM
Trane - You've been on a GSP tear as of late what gives?

lol @ your 2nd comment.

Here are 8 threads I have created in the last day or have been made prior and posted on in the last 24hrs. None of them have anything to do with GSP. 

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2083712

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2138232

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2092011

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/ns/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2146717

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2143348

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2149149

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2148885

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2149158

I get the feeling that simply asking open ended GSP questions that I'm being labeled as a GSP hater. Before Saturday night I was at 230 something votes. I know expressing an opinion soon after a fight is asking for vote downs, but I'd rather voice my opinion. It's just sad that so many people have a hard time when someone disagrees with them.

3/18/13 9:04 PM
Raezor19

D241 - 

lol @ your 2nd comment.

Here are 8 threads I have created in the last day or have been made prior and posted on in the last 24hrs. None of them have anything to do with GSP. 

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2083712

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2138232

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2092011

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/ns/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2146717

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2143348

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2149149

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2148885

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2149158

I get the feeling that simply asking open ended GSP questions that I'm being labeled as a GSP hater. Before Saturday night I was at 230 something votes. I know expressing an opinion soon after a fight is asking for vote downs, but I'd rather voice my opinion. It's just sad that so many people have a hard time when someone disagrees with them.

Dude, with your shit, you were getting vd's way before saturday night....you been bashing almost as hard as pete northhammer.....don't use the last 2 days of butt kissing to say you weren't....

3/18/13 9:10 PM
D241

Come down dude. What I said was accurate. Before the fights on saturday night, I had 230 something vote ups.

Why are you so angry?  "With your shit", "2 days of butt kissing".

May be ironic coming from me, but I think you need a time out from the internet broseph. I'll toss you a vote up just to lighten things up. 

3/18/13 9:13 PM
Raezor19

D241 - 

Come down dude. What I said was accurate. Before the fights on saturday night, I had 230 something vote ups.

May be ironic coming from me, but I think you need a time out from the internet broseph. I'll toss you a vote up just to lighten things up. 

Just the way I talk ya know.....no hard feelings.....It's the fucking internet....cheers...

3/18/13 9:20 PM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's a massive advantage, yes. It's the advantage that everyone else is fighting to earn.
3/18/13 9:23 PM
Trane

Edited: 03/18/13 9:31 PM
3/18/13 9:23 PM
D241

Raezor19 - 
D241 - 

Just the way I talk ya know.....no hard feelings.....It's the fucking internet....cheers...

Do you have any thoughts on this non confrontational thread?

BTW Henderson is my favorite fighter.

3/18/13 9:24 PM
le

Didn't read mother fucker, didn't read. Phone Post
3/18/13 9:25 PM
Trane

On a serious note, GSP started from rags so you can say that he's earned it. Some of other fighters came from rich families that could afford them great training partners from an early age.
3/18/13 9:25 PM
MahatmaPetey
362 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doctor NPD -

GSP turned down his sexual advances.
Or he accepted but couldn't finish him off? Phone Post
3/18/13 9:31 PM
D241

Trane - On a serious note, GSP started from rags so you can say that he's earned it. Some of other fighters came from rich families that could afford them great training partners from an early age.

Oh for sure he's earned it.

But to me, something that I feel seperates GSP from other champions, is what he put his money towards.

I wouldn't fault him at all if he bought houses, cars, clothes, fun stuff. And I'm sure he has his fair share of those, but GSP really seems to be dedicated to being the best.

Then again, Anderson somehow got Steven Seagal to train him secret techniques, so I guess there's a few exceptions.

3/18/13 9:51 PM
Trane

Edited: 03/18/13 10:30 PM
Keep in mind that GSP has always had this mentality even before he became rich. Earlier in his career he sought out help from lesser-profiled BJJers, trained with the Canadian Olympic wrestling team, trained with former Canadian Boxers like the Grant brothers. Not that these were low quality partners but they were cheap and he sought out the best training possible for what he could afford. I'll bet many of these were dirt-cheap or even free including his training with the Olympic wrestlers but he was willing to go these lengths and leverage whatever status he had while most aren't. He also traveled to different cities to random BJJ/MMA clubs to get in as much valuable training as possible and to learn. It's because of this type of dedication which sets him apart even when he didn't have the finances. From what I've seen he has made incremental upgrades throughout his career, like a brilliant investor or real-estate mongel that started off with little. Not to beat a dead horse but In formula one racing, you start your career off with the shitty teams and once you've proven yourself, go to the mid-tier teams and eventually you might get a chance to drive a BMW, Ferrari etc. So naturally GSP has upgraded his training camp but it wasn't after a long time that he could afford the Freddie Roaches, Danahers, Greg Jacksons and high-profile stable training partners.

Playing devil's advocate other fighters have had the luxary as well to bring in expensive camps but do not capitalize on the benefits. Didn't Rampage once spend hundreds of thousands on his camp only to lose? Same with Tito.

So what I'm trying to get at is that GSP's success is not primarily due to his financial abilities but moreso to his mentality, motivation and ability to absorb information and apply techniques learned from his resources. Not everyone can do this but GSP is able to make the most of it. He made the most of his resources at a lower level and now is doing it at the highest level.
3/18/13 9:55 PM
D241

For sure I would agree that GSP's success has to do a lot more with his mentality and training and athleticism, but I do feel he has a FAIR advantage when it comes to training.

Go figure, I make this thread and the person with the most insight on this is "Trane"

3/18/13 10:06 PM
Trane

D241 - 

For sure I would agree that GSP's success has to do a lot more with his mentality and training and athleticism, but I do feel he has a FAIR advantage when it comes to training.

Go figure, I make this thread and the person with the most insight on this is "Trane"

Lol, I'm no expert on anything just giving an opinion much like yourself :) From what I've seen throughout the years of GSP, he has a remarkable ability to grasp and apply what he's learned, I do agree that it makes him a much better fighter now that he has the ability to learn from the very best!

3/18/13 10:08 PM
Brabatross

K enough GSP and Nick Diaz already, let's save some for when they both fight again.
3/18/13 10:23 PM
BigSleep
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are also downsides to being as successful as GSP. More demands on your time and more distractions. You also have more to lose. Someone else touched on this, he had this mentality before he became champ and that is why he is so successful.

Look at someone like Tyson, how much of an advantage was his fame and fortune? It was his undoing obviously. It's all about the way you handle it and your mental toughness.
3/18/13 10:51 PM
Johnny D
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This whole GSP thing has become pretty aggravating, I know, then I should just shut the fuck up and move on.

So I will, but I'm going to say this first, we can all continue to point out the good and the not so good about GSP, the bottom line is the guy is afraid to take his dick out his pants and let it flap in the wind.

Condit whips it out and let's it flap

Hendricks whips it out and let's it flap

Diaz whips it out and let's it flap.

Ellenberger whips it out and let's it flap.

GSP needs to whip that thing out and smack the shit out people with it. He's got it, time to use it to its full potential. Phone Post
3/18/13 11:08 PM
Gomrad
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trane - Anderson has Segal which is more valuable than GSP money.
Pure Gold Phone Post
3/18/13 11:10 PM
IHangFromBJsBallSack

D241 -

Your pathetic obsession with machida supposedly not engaging enough cause he beat Dan Henderson, you're 35 go get a fucking life man. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.