UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Official Rankings Update: 3.18.13

3/19/13 12:00 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1261 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

After each major event, the UFC now polls a group of over forty members of the mixed martial arts media to come up with their official rankings for each division. With each event usually having only a handful of bouts that effect the rankings, it's unusual to see too much movement. At UFC 158 however, six of the world top ranked welterweights all fought, and here we take a look at how the rankings changed:

1     Johny Hendricks
2     Carlos Condit
3     Rory MacDonald +1
4     Jake Ellenberger +2
5     Demian Maia
6     Nick Diaz -3
7     Martin Kampmann
8     Tarec Saffiedine
9     Robbie Lawler
10     Josh Koscheck

With a win over Carlos Condit, Johny Hendricks maintains his number one ranking and according to UFC President Dana White, is definitely next in line for a title shot against Georges St-Pierre. Rory Macdonald moved up one spot without fighting, and Jake Ellenberger  moved up two places after securing a big knockout win over Nate Marquadt. Nick Diaz was the biggest drop in the rankings, moving down three places with his loss to the champion.

I personally ranked the welterweights slightly different. It's undeniable that Hendricks would remain in the top spot, but in my opinion Condit should not be ranked as high, this being his second loss in a row, albeit two close loses top tier opponents. Jake Ellenberger earned an impressive win against Marquardt, and has won eight of his last nine bouts, making him in my opinion the next in line after Hendricks. I did agree that Diaz should have dropped a couple notches, but couldn't justify putting him below Demian Main, who is 3-0 in the division, but hasn't faced a top ten opponent yet. Below is how I ordered the welterweight division:

1     Johny Hendricks
2     Jake Ellenberger
3     Rory MacDonald
4     Nick Diaz
5     Carlos Condit
6     Demian Maia
7     Martin Kampmann
8     Tyron Woodley
9     Robbie Lawler
10     Josh Koscheck

view all official rankings...

I'm interested to know what the Underground thinks? Do you agree with the collective MMA media or did you think my decisions were justified? Or am I an idiot?

3/19/13 12:06 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LayzieTheSavage
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

www.middleeasy.com, Videographer
Wtf? Phone Post
3/19/13 12:08 AM
Chris
390 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, COO

He's currently riding a 4-0 win streak and his last loss was to the number #2 guy in a fight he might have won had he been a bit smarter at the end of the fight.

3/19/13 12:09 AM
defendbrooklyn
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Condit below diaz? I guess that makes sense..... Phone Post
3/19/13 12:23 AM
Donald Rice Cerrone

Tarec has no buisness on the list IMO. I thought he did well against Nate but to say he's untested is an understatement
3/19/13 12:24 AM
orcus

Never Paid Wolf Ticket Taxes - 
Anderson Emelianenko GOAT - lol@rory being #3 without a single top 10 win, why arent people so upset like they were with Bisping?

Cause Rory's never been KO'd and cause Rory is the real deal

Not that being KO'd has anything to do with rankings, but he was still stopped by strikes.

3/19/13 12:25 AM
FanToFighter
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jake should not be #2 IMO. He KO'd Nate who just came off loss and wasn't even top 10. Phone Post
3/19/13 12:26 AM
Figure4LegLock

LoL! What a joke having Rory so high on the list. Never, ever beat a top 10 WW...EVER! Penn has been washed up for a while and he was fighting at a higher weight class then he should have been. Nate is also a LW not WW. Pyle is a good fighter but not a world beater. Did Rory threaten the peeps who vote on this with eternal burial in a crawl space if he wasn't rated Top 5?
PathFinder21

How can you rank Nick Diaz above Carlos Condit when he is also coming off two loses one of which is to Condit? Phone Post
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How is Tarec on that list? And how is Rory ranked so high? I like both those guys but that doesn't make sense.
3/19/13 12:28 AM
Fangas
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PathFinder21 - How can you rank Nick Diaz above Carlos Condit when he is also coming off two loses one of which is to Condit? Phone Post
. Phone Post
3/19/13 12:29 AM
Figure4LegLock

Also, to the OP, you are an idiot and not just for the Rory ranking. Maia hasn't faced a Top 10 guy yet? Really? Fitch? Hello, McFly, anyone home?
3/19/13 12:29 AM
stonepony

defendbrooklyn -  Condit below diaz? I guess that makes sense..... Phone Post

^^^
3/19/13 12:30 AM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
412 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Am I the only one that noticed that the article said Demian Maia hasn't beat anyone in the top 10?
He just beat Fitch lol, who was ranked like 6 or 7 when he fought Maia.
Come on. Phone Post
3/19/13 12:30 AM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
412 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Figure4LegLock - Also, to the OP, you are an idiot and not just for the Rory ranking. Maia hasn't faced a Top 10 guy yet? Really? Fitch? Hello, McFly, anyone home?
This! Phone Post
3/19/13 12:31 AM
yellow wrkahlc

defendbrooklyn -  Condit below diaz? I guess that makes sense..... Phone Post

About as much sense as me sticking my dick in the toaster for learning purposes

...again.

3/19/13 12:33 AM
I LOVE GSP
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

condit didn't even drop a spot I guess I don't even have a problem with that seeing as he fought a good fight with a top ranked guy, but saying that I'll apply the same reasoning to Diaz.

FUCK dropping Diaz 3 spots for being slightly overmatched by the longtime reigning champ.
3/19/13 12:34 AM
FanToFighter
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Figure4LegLock - Also, to the OP, you are an idiot and not just for the Rory ranking. Maia hasn't faced a Top 10 guy yet? Really? Fitch? Hello, McFly, anyone home?
Hey read the rest besides the ranking tard. It says "UFC" rankings. Fitch isn't UFC. Phone Post
3/19/13 12:35 AM
I LOVE GSP
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

damn! my screen name got changed!! lol.
3/19/13 12:36 AM
FanToFighter

BTW, this is not OP's list. It's the UFC, the blog is just reporting news. Learn to read Phone Post
3/19/13 1:01 AM
StrikeforceSupporter

Maia vs Diaz

Martin Kapmann vs Tarec Saffiedine

McDonald vs Condit

Ellenberger vs Lawler
3/19/13 1:17 AM
FunkMasterJoe
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FanToFighter -
BTW, this is not OP's list. It's the UFC, the blog is just reporting news. Learn to read Phone Post
The 1st list is. However, the 2nd list is not. Phone Post
3/19/13 1:17 AM
I LOVE GSP

StrikeforceSupporter - Maia vs Diaz

McDonald vs Condit

Ellenberger vs Lawler

that's perfect.
3/19/13 1:20 AM
TheMessiah

Both rankings are not that great but it is based on opinions. I for one think Condit should be a head of Diaz since he beat him

This would be my top 10:

GSP
Hendricks
Condit
Ellenberger
Diaz
Rory
Maia
Kampmann
Saffedine
Woodly
Lawler

My top 10 doesn't mean shit either.. Phone Post
3/19/13 1:21 AM
TheMessiah

I LOVE GSP -
StrikeforceSupporter - Maia vs Diaz

McDonald vs Condit

Ellenberger vs Lawler

that's perfect.
Sounds good to me.. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.