UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Josh Gross does not rank Rory in top 10 WW

3/19/13 9:33 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BrattMamley
1038 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://espn.go.com/mma/rankingspicks/_/class/welterweight/date/20130318

We all know rankings mean nothing but is he serious? The only guy NOT to have Rory in the top 10. No disrespect to Josh but are you kidding? I understand his resume is missing some big name wins but if you can't see the talent and potential in this kid then you are crazy. I agree most with Brett Okamoto's list. What do you guys think?

3/19/13 9:39 AM
Lobo8
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol at putting askeren in instead of putting Rory.
3/19/13 9:39 AM
Lobo8

Lol at putting askeren in instead of putting Rory.
3/19/13 9:53 AM
TheMessiah

Ben does deserve to be top ten but so does Rory. Phone Post
3/19/13 9:56 AM
Lasko
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To be fair, rankings are based on what they've done and who they've beaten, not necessarily their potential. At the same time a win over bj in that fashion should put you in the top 10, not to 5 though as others put him. Phone Post
3/19/13 10:04 AM
Condit's Face Broke My Hand
549 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who cares? Phone Post
3/19/13 10:12 AM
HandyDarsh
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheMessiah - Ben does deserve to be top ten but so does Rory. Phone Post
This, rory should be right near the bottom though Phone Post
3/19/13 10:18 AM
Daverr

makes more sense than him at #3?

thats criminal

1.GSP
2.Hendricks
3.Condit
4.Diaz
5.Maia
6.Ellenberger
7.Kampmann
8.Mcdonald
9.Safedine
10.LAwler

something like that
3/19/13 10:20 AM
Standup29

While there are a lot of top guys at WW, I'm really surprised that he out Tarec in and not Rory. Askren I can understand but Tarec hasn't done enough IMO to be in there. Granted he was the SF WW champ but after Diaz left, who did he beat that would put him above any of the other 10? Gross at times comes across as a MMA hipster and I struggle to support him. I don't read his articles because he comes across as bitter. Sucks because he is one of the original journalists in MMA. Phone Post
3/19/13 10:24 AM
Tom O'BJPenn=Legend
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Josh Gross is a fucking idiot. Who gives a rats ass what he thinks? Phone Post
3/19/13 10:25 AM
BrattMamley
1038 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Standup29 -  While there are a lot of top guys at WW, I'm really surprised that he out Tarec in and not Rory. Askren I can understand but Tarec hasn't done enough IMO to be in there. Granted he was the SF WW champ but after Diaz left, who did he beat that would put him above any of the other 10? Gross at times comes across as a MMA hipster and I struggle to support him. I don't read his articles because he comes across as bitter. Sucks because he is one of the original journalists in MMA. Phone Post

My thoughts exactly. Well said. VTFU.

3/19/13 10:40 AM
549 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never Paid Wolf Ticket Taxes -
Condit's Face Broke My Hand -  Who cares? Phone Post

This. Rory got enough votes to be where he's at.

It's not like the number Gross writes next to his head is going to make him win or lose any fights either Phone Post
3/19/13 10:44 AM
Barbalos

No way should Diaz be in the top 5. 1-2 in the last two years, that shit is ridiculous.
3/19/13 11:09 AM
Standup29

BrattMamley -
Standup29 -  While there are a lot of top guys at WW, I'm really surprised that he out Tarec in and not Rory. Askren I can understand but Tarec hasn't done enough IMO to be in there. Granted he was the SF WW champ but after Diaz left, who did he beat that would put him above any of the other 10? Gross at times comes across as a MMA hipster and I struggle to support him. I don't read his articles because he comes across as bitter. Sucks because he is one of the original journalists in MMA. Phone Post

My thoughts exactly. Well said. VTFU.

Danke Phone Post
3/19/13 11:14 AM
Standup29

Condit's Face Broke My Hand -

It's not like the number Gross writes next to his head is going to make him win or lose any fights either Phone Post
True. Plus the UFC has proven that rankings don't mean shit in terms of title shots Phone Post
I don't entirely agree. The #1 guy may npt always get the shot before anyone ranked below him. Timing plays a lot in who fights who.

When did someone not ranked in the top 10 get a title fight? Sure some move a weight class and gets a shot but that is how combat sports works. Top ranked guys will change weight classes to get a title shot. They are still top 10 ranked and are thereby ranked and worthy. That does not mean someone isn't more deserving. Phone Post
3/19/13 11:28 AM
Jo'donnell-Davies
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Askeren hasn't beat anyone that could warrant him a spot in the top ten Phone Post
3/19/13 12:12 PM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BrattMamley -

http://espn.go.com/mma/rankingspicks/_/class/welterweight/date/20130318

We all know rankings mean nothing but is he serious? The only guy NOT to have Rory in the top 10. No disrespect to Josh but are you kidding? I understand his resume is missing some big name wins but if you can't see the talent and potential in this kid then you are crazy. I agree most with Brett Okamoto's list. What do you guys think?

Its more about disrespecting BJ then Rory. Gross just focused on the records. Rory has not had a lot really big wins as of yet.

But Gross probably also constantly rated Lombard quit highly when he was fighting lesser opposition in Bellator and look where he ended up.

I personally think Rory deserves to be top ten at least. Unfortunately so does Askren ( would rate him, with pain in my heart, above my boy from Belgium). Phone Post
3/19/13 12:50 PM
ShocknAwe
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't put Josh Gross in the top 10 for MMA journalists
3/19/13 1:28 PM

Standup29 -
Condit's Face Broke My Hand -

True. Plus the UFC has proven that rankings don't mean shit in terms of title shots Phone Post
I don't entirely agree. The #1 guy may npt always get the shot before anyone ranked below him. Timing plays a lot in who fights who.

When did someone not ranked in the top 10 get a title fight? Sure some move a weight class and gets a shot but that is how combat sports works. Top ranked guys will change weight classes to get a title shot. They are still top 10 ranked and are thereby ranked and worthy. That does not mean someone isn't more deserving. Phone Post
The title shot they're getting has nothing to do with the rankings though. It's just yeah if you're good enough to get a title shot you're probably good enough to be "top 10," which is subjective in its own right. I just don't see any purpose to rankings in mma. Phone Post
3/19/13 1:28 PM
guardbr8kr

Neither has Nick Diaz but he's still ranked?
3/19/13 2:39 PM
ShowtimeWreckedMyLeever
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Daverr -
makes more sense than him at #3?

thats criminal

1.GSP
2.Hendricks
3.Condit
4.Diaz
5.Maia
6.Ellenberger
7.Kampmann
8.Mcdonald
9.Safedine
10.LAwler

something like that
To be fair, Rory has the same big win tgat Diaz has, and he had an extremely close fight with Condit as well... Phone Post
3/19/13 2:53 PM
Wasa-B
292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wouldnt the MMA hipster be all over Rory?

Remember, Rory lost to Condit and BJ is a LW. He's no doubt the next one but hasnt exactly racked up a solid top list of wins at this point yet.
3/19/13 2:59 PM
epic hero

He beat Marquardt, that's enough
3/19/13 3:01 PM
caseharts
406 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another reason I don't listen to anything gross puts out. Phone Post
3/19/13 3:08 PM
Standup29

Wasa-B -

Wouldnt the MMA hipster be all over Rory?

Remember, Rory lost to Condit and BJ is a LW. He's no doubt the next one but hasnt exactly racked up a solid top list of wins at this point yet.
I don't think so. It was more like he had to include Tarec because he was the SF Champion. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.