UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Looking for somewhere to train jj in Illinois.

3/19/13 11:06 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
roscoegrinders
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just moved from NY to Rockford Il. I was in the army for around four years, hurt my shoulder pretty bad in Iraq, had four surgeries and really just ended up being lazy and gaimed around 30 pounds. I went to the doctor in november and realized I was up to 226, since than. Have begun working out eating better ect, and am down to 205,I have always wanted to take JJ classes, can someone recommend a good basic beginner type gym? I am not in the best shape but am lgetting better. I was told by multiple people on the ug to post on this forum as someone here would know. Thanks. I have no idea what to look for and don't wan to join a a shady one like the loyd guy had.
3/19/13 12:26 PM
TristanESP
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My quick google-fu reveals one place in Rockford http://coremma.tv/. I do not know anything about this place, but it looks like they took the Lloyd Irvin school of web design and provide very little info on their school, including affiliation and instructor rank.

If you're willing to make a drive out to the Chicago burbs, the closest legit place to you would be Jeff Curran's in Crystal Lake or Flow MMA. Both a little over an hour away.
3/19/13 12:33 PM
TristanESP
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Going to Add: Coremma's instructor has a vid up on youtube from 2011. He was a blue belt and is wearing a Curran patch. If this is your only option because of distance, he's at least affiliated with a legit team and possibly a purple belt now. If you're just beginning there's nothing wrong with having a purple belt instructor. You might even be able to make the Trek to Curren's when the instructor goes.

In any case, go and check it out.
3/19/13 1:43 PM
mikecimm
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i currently have a student that drives from rockford to flo.  its def a long drive.  like tristan said, try classes at a couple different places and see what you like the best.

at flo i teach mon, tues, wed and sat.  i have a blue belt (E6 in the army) that teaches fundamentals on thursdays.  we do open mats on friday nights.

personally i drove 35+ miles for 7 years and passed maybe 4-5 different gyms on the way.  once you find a place you can call home the distance doesn't really matter too much.

let me know if you plan on coming out.  good luck in your search

3/19/13 1:53 PM
roscoegrinders

TristanESP - Going to Add: Coremma's instructor has a vid up on youtube from 2011. He was a blue belt and is wearing a Curran patch. If this is your only option because of distance, he's at least affiliated with a legit team and possibly a purple belt now. If you're just beginning there's nothing wrong with having a purple belt instructor. You might even be able to make the Trek to Curren's when the instructor goes.

In any case, go and check it out.

Thanks, I think I will try that one out. I can't drive ona regular basis more than a hour because my wife works long hours.
3/19/13 1:56 PM
dalexan242
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/19/13 1:57 PM
My family has a farm in Dixon and I go out there every summer. I looked around the area between Dixon and Rockford and it seemed like there was one MMA gym that got mediocre reviews and then a university club (NIU?). Neither one really looked worth driving 45-60 minutes since I was only there for a week. The uni club had an active FB page, you might want to check with them to see if they know of any schools around the area.<br /><br />If you do find someplace, please post it here. The farm is a nice place to bring the family during the summer but I'd love to be able to get some training in while I'm there.
3/20/13 6:27 PM
dpro2716
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You have Comprido in Bloomingdale. You can't get more legit than that. Nobody in that area even comes close. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.