UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Recommendations for bumper plates?

3/19/13 1:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
None So Blind
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone have any recs (or negative feedback) on specific brands of bumper plates?

I'm pretty likely to buy a set in a couple weeks, and I've looked at several brands. I had initially considered the Rogue Hi-Temps, but am put off by many reviews that noted (A) they smell to high heaven and (B) often ship with a ton of some kind of greasy substance on them.

On the flip side, I'd prefer not to spend $3000 on a set of Eleikos :-P Some Pendlay models look nice and are relatively inexpensive, though...
3/19/13 3:15 PM
paw
1344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You might want to look at Again Faster

also give Elite FTS a call

3/19/13 3:48 PM
None So Blind
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Much obliged, paw, will check Elite as I've heard good things about them.
3/19/13 4:11 PM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I got mine about 8 or 9 years ago, I called around to rubber manufacturers. What I ended up finding out was that RBRubber made a few of the main brands bumper plates, and then they slapped on their trademarking. I got a set directly from rbrubber for really short change. I think it was $300 with freight. The set consisted of 2 x 10kg, 15kg, 20kg, 25kg. You could get pounds too. I just opted for metric.

RB's website is: http://www.rbrubber.com/

Keep in mind this was 8+ years ago, so RB may not be in the game anymore. I'm sure somebody is though.
3/19/13 8:05 PM
surf2live
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Check out Fringe sports. Got some of mine from them and they were reasonable even with shipping to HAwaii

Get the Troy VTX ones, great econ bumpers, I really like mine.
3/19/13 8:11 PM
joemama1034
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cant beat rogue. They dont smell and they dont come greased. Free shipping and awesome customer service. Phone Post
3/28/13 6:09 AM
OiKing

I got VTX troy bumpers from rogue at a great price. Since I live in Columbus I was able to pick them up and skip on the shipping charges as well. They work great so far, no issues with multiple drops. I will say this though they smell awful and did come with grease on them. Many people at my gym complain about the smell. I added one of those air freshener things that shoots out the mist every 15 minutes right by the damn things and it still stinks so bad I get complaints.

I have tried wiping them down, wiping them with chalk (not sure what I thought that might accomplish but I tried it all the same) and a few other things but still no luck. I am hoping it wears off in time.

And I second that rogue has awesome customer service.
3/28/13 6:49 AM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are they mostly rubber, OiKing? The first pairs of bumpers I got, I mistakenly ordered VTX (looooong before Rogue was ever in business). They sucked. They are essentially iron plates the side of regular 45's with a thin layer of plastic/rubber wrapped around them. I keep them in my truck now for prowler sled weight since they won't rust at least.
3/28/13 9:20 AM
None So Blind

Thanks for all the help, guys.

I was leaning hard to the VTX color bumpers until the feedback from OiKing - this is a home gym in a 25x25 or so garage, so if they smell bad, being in a small room with them is liable to suck ;-) Next up for serious consideration are Rogue HG and and the Yorks from EliteFTS.

Rogue is much cheaper (free shipping), but is sold out currently :-O

I was mildly interested in the set from Dick's Sporting Goods, but cannot find any reviews on them, so it would seem wise to avoid them just to err on the side of caution...
3/28/13 9:28 AM
Adventure Runner

^ Just looked at the VTX bumpers on Rogue's site. They look exactly like the VTX ones I got years ago. Be sure that is what you want. I'm not a fan at all. I don't even consider them real bumpers. If you drop those on your garage floor and then drop legit bumpers on your garage floor, you'll notice a big difference. I'd make a video for you to demonstrate, but my garage is currently in winter condition.

To each their own of course. Some people may like them. I'd just be certain you want that bumper before making a purchase.
3/28/13 11:15 AM
None So Blind

Edited: 03/28/13 11:35 AM
Yeah, VTX is out now - the Rogue HG are different, and I've read some positive reviews of those.

People on Rippetoe's forum have torn the Troy company (and the VTX plates) to shreds:

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=35381&pagenumber=

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=37021&pagenumber=

3/28/13 6:13 PM
Shanle929

I like Rogues also Phone Post 3.0
3/29/13 9:24 AM
OiKing

I couldn't tell you if they are all rubber or not. I will say that while I was at Rogues I was able to check out their training facility for employees and saw a bunch of the rogue HG bumpers and they seemed to feel just like the troy vtx I purchased but did not smell bad.

I have no had an issue with their performance at all, but I haven't had them for long. Most of the people who train at my gym are bodybuilders or powerlifters so they do not get a lot of use like they would at say a crossfit box or a place that specializes in weightlifting.

I would say on hindsight I would go with the Rogue HG which are only a little bit more expensive for the lack of odor alone. It sounds really fickle but in the middle of some heavy ass squats getting that oily smell is disorienting. If I buy anymore for the gym I will definitely be with the HG.
3/29/13 10:36 AM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You might try rubbing them down with arm & hammer baking soda, it soaks up odor pretty good.
3/29/13 8:55 PM
surf2live

Try degreaser for the oil. My 45's had that issue and that worked fine for me. No smell on them now whatsoever.

Also be sure you are getting true bumper plates not the rubber coated metal plates.

I like my VTX plates. Granted I have a matted area that I do oly lifts on so I don't drop them straight into concrete and mine have held up over the last 15 months great

Also be sure to get plates with a steel insert. Copper ones will bend and deform after a while. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.