UnderGround Forums

What if ... >> Most overrated *rising star* in MMA history?

3/20/13 3:26 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
knicksfan3232
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Has to be Grispi. That dude had so much hype when he joined the UFC and has done nothing, but stink up the joint.
3/20/13 3:33 AM
AndersonSilvasMoney
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Definitely agree with Houston Alexander. I remember after he came in and brutalized Jardine, everyone thought he was going to be this KO machine and start wrecking house.
3/20/13 3:44 AM
Large Intestine
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DeviLDog10 - Houston Alexander for sure Phone Post
Excellent choice.

I nominate Kiril "Baby Fedor" Sidelnikov. Phone Post
3/20/13 3:45 AM
UGCTT_Stu0411
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CREason good fighters lose - Josh Grispi, from being scheduled to fight Aldo to risking his #1 contender status and losing 4 straight.
This Phone Post
3/20/13 3:46 AM
UGCTT_Stu0411
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Condit's Face Broke My Hand -
MMAforMONEY - Tarec, Kampmann, Condit, Phil Davis, Bendo

Not saying that these guys are not good fighters. I just think that the general MMA fan truly believes that these fighters currently are, and/or are going to be, better than they actually are. Phone Post
Lol @ Benson. He can't be better than champion Phone Post
This too Phone Post
3/20/13 4:01 AM
Gunter Vogler

Out of the realistic and applicable names I've seen in this thread I'll go with Sokoudjou by a mile.

The overrated hype and predictions with him were ridiculous but in large part because the Pride fanboys were still in full force at the time.

Brandon Vera is a good example of the mma equivalent of a "bust", but I remember he had a lot of detractors right from the get-go. Vera himself was the one overhyping himself with his "I'll win the HW and LHW titles at the same time" nonsense. Lots of people were sneering and snickering at him at the time and didn't believe in "The Truth".

And Houston Alexander...lmao...c'mon, there was some huge contingent of mma fans who thought he was gonna roll and own the LHW division? No!

Hector Lombard...no....because this is a different era where people now mostly understand that racking up dominating wins in the minors won't often lead to domination of the majors (except maybe for those who believed in and were in denial over the Tin Man Overeem). Lombard already had lots of detractors and people not buying into him prior to his unimpressive UFC debut.

Sokoudjou by far....
3/20/13 4:05 AM
myrites
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Terrell Phone Post
3/20/13 4:06 AM
Bucephalus

Edited: 03/20/13 4:06 AM
OregonChaelClosedDueToBandWagonCrash - 
Bucephalus - Rory Macdonald.

Never beat a top ten fighter.. yet is currently ranked #3.

Gradually climbed the top ten rankings the past couple of months... from #10 to #7 to #5 to #3... without even fighting during that time.

The only top ten fighter he fought finished him in brutal fashion.

His biggest wins were over two non-top ten LIGHTWEIGHTS.. Nate Diaz and BJ Penn.. both of whom he was unable to finish.

BJ is that you ? Phone Post

"Ares" is that you?
3/20/13 5:02 AM
Zeph
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Luiz Cane
3/20/13 5:08 AM
mattb425

All the Pride guys that came over and couldn't cut it in America without the crutches that came with a Japanese promotion.
3/20/13 5:35 AM
PutYourChubbyInMyCubby
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jake O'Brien i think by a long way Phone Post
3/20/13 5:44 AM
mikemalc
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CREason good fighters lose - Josh Grispi, from being scheduled to fight Aldo to risking his #1 contender status and losing 4 straight.
Can you imagine what Aldo would've done to him?! Phone Post
3/20/13 6:25 AM
scaredy cat
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bisping?

c'mon, someone had to say it.
3/20/13 6:26 AM
BobSherob
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Waffler742 -

Brandon Vera

Thos Phone Post
3/20/13 6:28 AM
UGCTT_Shope
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

David Terrell. Phone Post
3/20/13 6:31 AM
whoabro

UGCTT_Shope - David Terrell. Phone Post
The classic example Phone Post
3/20/13 6:41 AM
Flint Sparkle
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The marathon runner Kalib Starnes Phone Post
3/20/13 6:47 AM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not saying that these guys are not good fighters. I just think that the general MMA fan truly believes that these fighters currently are, and/or are going to be, better than they actually are. Phone Post
That comment made no sense what so ever.
Please elaborate. Phone Post
3/20/13 6:48 AM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bucephalus - Rory Macdonald.

Never beat a top ten fighter.. yet is currently ranked #3.

Gradually climbed the top ten rankings the past couple of months... from #10 to #7 to #5 to #3... without even fighting during that time.

The only top ten fighter he fought finished him in brutal fashion.

His biggest wins were over two non-top ten LIGHTWEIGHTS.. Nate Diaz and BJ Penn.. both of whom he was unable to finish.
Dont agree completely but your reasoning is prety sound.

Rory needs a big scalp. Let him fight Nick and see if he got what it takes. Phone Post
3/20/13 6:55 AM
fightharder

Up and coming Nover and Grispi.

I always though Lawler was overrated as well but guess he proved me wrong.

Alexander and Soko in the little more established section. Phone Post
3/20/13 7:23 AM
thesalfordmongoose
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jake 'shady' Shields Phone Post
3/20/13 7:32 AM
Culinary Union Delegate
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gegard Mousassi had all the hype of Vera, and managed a draw with a massively concussed version of Jardine. 

The UG had him pegged as Fedor's successor a few years back.

Gonzaga after the Cro Cop KO was, and will always be the most overrated fighter in the history of the UG. He lost to a 90 year old LHW in his next fight.

3/20/13 7:35 AM
DanEzra
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sokoudjou was supposed to be a world-beater, then just fizzled and disappeared.

3/20/13 7:45 AM
Bootsy Collins
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Terrell wasn't exactly over-rated-it's not fair to say that considering his issue was injury after injury
3/20/13 7:48 AM
MachidasBrew

Lol douche Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.