UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Kenny Florian....

3/20/13 8:43 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Pride Wanderlei
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

According his interview with open mat radio he received his purple belt after 1.5 years of training?? That seems really quick. Phone Post
3/20/13 10:17 AM
Jjmac1235
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This was back in 1999 before the culture of cherry picking-hold back promotions-so you can be a world champion at a blue belt levelwhen you should really be a brown belt.

Kenny is undoubtably at a bb level and received all his belts from Roberto Maia who is the shit.
3/20/13 10:30 AM
Pride Wanderlei

Jjmac1235 - This was back in 1999 before the culture of cherry picking-hold back promotions-so you can be a world champion at a blue belt levelwhen you should really be a brown belt.

Kenny is undoubtably at a bb level and received all his belts from Roberto Maia who is the shit.
Oh yeah not saying Kenny isnt BB level, I just thought that a purple in 1.5 years was insanely fast? Phone Post
3/20/13 11:07 AM
gusto

that is actually really fast for 1999 overall in the united states. but if kenny was training seriously with a blackbelt, seems legit to me. most guys did not have the luxury of training directly under a black belt in 1999. especially in new england
3/20/13 11:28 AM
mrgoodarmbar
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I train under Roberto, but I honestly don't know what the actual timeline for his belts were. He medaled at purple and brown in pan ams. However, as a school in general a few guys will compete, but there isn't a culture or focus on competitions so there's no pressure to get a belt quickly or sandbag. You got your belt when he gave you your belt... and not only did they have a black belt to teach them in Roberto, but Roberto already had other BBs like Pat Barbieri and Jon Frankl and there were guys like Leo V. and Roger who would come by and you had Keith/Kenny training each other in the academy and at home....

Not to get off topic, but one of the funniest stories is that the pans or something was in florida and a bunch of the guys went down there and Leo V traveled and stayed with the at the hotel and was hanging out with them for the weekend. They didn't really know just who Leo was, but he'd just casually go out there when he name was called and totally destroy whoever he was going against.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.