UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Why can't punching power be learned?

3/20/13 12:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kanotoa
175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Almost everyone I have talked to told me thqt punching power is something you are born with. Why is this so? Is it some fast twitch muscles that you have like a baseball pitchers?

I have seen some fighters improve their power with a lot of training but most of their power seems to come with timing and countering their opponent, also luck.

Do you think a pillow puncher could become a one punch fighter with enough training? Phone Post
3/20/13 1:05 PM
Freddie Gavaria
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well didn't Freddie Roach just say that Shogun hit like a girl, but now that he has shown him how to punch properly hes got real power in his hands? 

3/20/13 1:10 PM
bknumber1
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can teach someone to hit harder but some people just know how to lay the hammer down fight time. Anyone can look like a champ on the pads/heavy bag, it's a whole different thing to do it in a fight. Phone Post
3/20/13 1:11 PM
T Bag
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Of course it can be developed.
Anderson and Hendo have gotten a lot more powerful in their late 30s
3/20/13 1:12 PM
Steve4192
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It absolutely can be learned, but each person has different limits. You can't learn the kind of soul-crushing power that guys like Johnny Hendricks or Dan Henderson have, but you can learn to greatly improve whatever power you naturally possess.
3/20/13 1:15 PM
I_Bungalo_Baboo_Babies
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To a point it's learned, bone density and natural mass distribution play a large role Phone Post
3/20/13 1:22 PM
SamboSlim187
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can certainly learn to punch harder and increase your chances of landing a KO. You aren't going to go from punching like a 6 year old school girl to a prime Mike Tyson, but you can learn the proper technique and timing that will increase your power and increase your chances of landing a KO.

The "born with" thing is hyperbole. Yes, some people do naturally punch harder than other people, just like some people naturally run faster than other people. That doesn't mean you can't train your body to run faster than someone who naturally runs faster than you. Again, you can't morph into Mike Tyson, but you can definitely increase power. Phone Post
3/20/13 1:24 PM
fryingarmbar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BadMon -

Floyd Mayeather has been doing nothing but punch since he came out of the womb.  

He can fully dive his entire body into a punch and land right on his opponents AS THEY ARE THROWING, yet still not phasing them 1 bit.   Same with Paulie.  Same with Tim Bradley.

Then you have guys like Lucas Mathysse and Keith Thurman.

Thx for the dope gifs.

I won't say "VTFU when I get to a computer later!" because that's seriously gay. Phone Post
3/20/13 1:24 PM
SuperMannyFraker
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BernardHopkins - id compare punching to any other explosive movements.

vertical leap is one. most guys in the NBA train and practice together, doing the same stuff day in and out. Some have amazing verticals and others have average. you can increase anything you want with proper training, but some people start out much higher naturally than others, and of course everyone has limits.

First off I would like to say thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to post on this forum, champ. Big win the other week, you shocked the world again.

Second, great analogy.
3/20/13 1:25 PM
Seats Taken
193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

T Bag - Of course it can be developed.
Anderson and Hendo have gotten a lot more powerful in their late 30s
Late 30's you gain dad strength. Totally different. Phone Post
3/20/13 1:47 PM
stevekt
688 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I always assumed knockouts were more about shot placement than power. Phone Post
3/20/13 1:53 PM
HandyDarsh
196 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fryingarmbar -
BadMon -

He can fully dive his entire body into a punch and land right on his opponents AS THEY ARE THROWING, yet still not phasing them 1 bit.   Same with Paulie.  Same with Tim Bradley.

Thx for the dope gifs.

I won't say "VTFU when I get to a computer later!" because that's seriously gay. Phone Post
VTFU when I get to a computer! Phone Post
3/20/13 1:55 PM
fryingarmbar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HandyDarsh -
fryingarmbar -
BadMon -

Thx for the dope gifs.

VTFU when I get to a computer! Phone Post
The only correct response. Phone Post
3/20/13 1:57 PM
Mas Tisu
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BernardHopkins - id compare punching to any other explosive movements.

vertical leap is one. most guys in the NBA train and practice together, doing the same stuff day in and out. Some have amazing verticals and others have average. you can increase anything you want with proper training, but some people start out much higher naturally than others, and of course everyone has limits.

Just in case, I'd like to be able to say that I once quoted the "Executioner" in a thread....

3/20/13 2:00 PM
caseharts
498 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BernardHopkins - id compare punching to any other explosive movements.

What's his green name guys! Let's get him one Phone Post
3/20/13 2:21 PM
A.W.Ashford
442 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IN Phone Post
3/20/13 2:24 PM
dahosse
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think some of it has to do with how your tendons attach. There is a definite genetic component. Phone Post
3/20/13 2:26 PM
BigWilliam
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can definitely learn to punch harder and improve from where you start. But there are some guys that just have a natural talent and that can be incredibly hard to replicate even with hard work.
3/20/13 2:47 PM
Steve4192
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BadMon - 
Clown Baby -  My opinion is worthless, but I think it all comes down to timing and perception.
The velocity of your fist when throwing a punch isn't constant throughout the strike, and I think knockout artists have a particular knack for reaching their opponents chin when their fist is at its peak velocity. Couple that with an inherent understanding of angles/good technique and you have a KO. Phone Post

there's nobody better at the precision/angles/technique game than Floyd Mayweather.

To be fair to Floyd, he has the power to knock people out. He racked up KOs pretty regularly when he was competing at super-featherweight and lightweight. It wasn't until he started competing at welterweight and light-middleweight that his power disappeared.
3/20/13 2:59 PM
Smellde Gluve
613 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Freddie Gavaria -

Well didn't Freddie Roach just say that Shogun hit like a girl, but now that he has shown him how to punch properly hes got real power in his hands? 

Came in to say this. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.