UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Karma in BJJ

3/20/13 4:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hywel Teague
193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/20/13 4:56 PM
BJJ Hacks, free Arte Suave videos, Direct from Rio

I got some Dustin 'Clean' Denes to drop some wisdom bombs for BJJ Hacks. There are just way too many great quotes to fit into one post, it's easier if you just watch the video

Enjoy. Would love to hear any comments, feedback or whatever.

Next month's BJJ Hacks video looks like it could be interesting too. I'm trying to keep things varied here so let me know if you like what you're seeing so far.
3/20/13 4:58 PM
Hywel Teague
193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Click this link for iPhone
3/20/13 5:51 PM
allchokedup
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I enjoyed it, thanks
3/20/13 5:55 PM
mrgoodarmbar
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT
3/20/13 6:28 PM
T-Ham
257 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good stuff.

3/20/13 6:40 PM
Hunter V
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

great stuff as always! Quality !
3/20/13 6:59 PM
omoplautistic
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Tapping is medicine. Medicine makes me better" Phone Post
3/20/13 7:32 PM
shen
499 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's his ethnic background?
3/20/13 7:41 PM
Bojangles
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - What's his ethnic background?

^^^ Floridian

Clean is an excellent instructor and motivator - the enemy is training!
3/20/13 7:42 PM
Hugh Jaynus
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - What's his ethnic background?

He's American but has spent a lot of time in and is currently living in Brazil. I've noticed in his videos that he develops an accent when he's been spending a lot of time around Brazilians, and/or speaking Portuguese.
3/20/13 7:55 PM
Hywel Teague

His accent is kind of strange, he's fluent in Portuguese and has been living here on and off since '99, I've seen this with other gringos here in Brazil who have had the same thing happen, it kind of messes up your native language a little
3/20/13 10:29 PM
demandango
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
3/20/13 11:54 PM
John Frankl
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool interview.

Accent is a weird version of the broken English spoken by dudes with Japanese and Korean instructors. Perhaps they mistake the packaging for the content.

I've been in Korea for 15 years. I teach Koreans in Korean. I have no problem with my English.
3/20/13 11:57 PM
JRockwell
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No disrespect to Dustin, as he is an awesome competitor and instructor from all accounts.  That said, it looks like he dyed his hair and tried to "go native" with the accent for this video.  Not sure why, I'm sure he gets more respect speaking in Portuguese and adopting Brazilian mannerisms when teaching in Brazil.  Maybe he just forgot to turn it off?

Here he is in a 2011 video repping ATT.  He almost sounds like Nick Diaz on adderal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7huarV7BIgY

I mean, I've lived in Texas for four years now.  I do say "y'all" every now and then, but that's about it.

3/21/13 12:02 AM
gusto
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dustin has had that accent since 2000

i thought it was kind of weird back then but i can see how it might happen
3/21/13 12:02 AM
JRockwell
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

John Frankl - Cool interview.

Accent is a weird version of the broken English spoken by dudes with Japanese and Korean instructors. Perhaps they mistake the packaging for the content.

I've been in Korea for 15 years. I teach Koreans in Korean. I have no problem with my English.

It's actually kinda trippy to watch your youtube instructionals and watch you flow back and forth between Korean and English so easily.

There was a karate instructor who used to teach kids classes before our BJJ classes years ago in Virginia.  It would always trip me out because he would teach and discipline the kids in strange, broken English.  "You...again!  No, no, no...wrong.  Again, watch me!  Like this!  No, no, very bad!"

It was seriously like he was imitating his own instructor, who I'm assuming English was a second language to.  This guy was white, probably mid 50's with a toupee...hard to take seriously on a number of levels.

3/21/13 12:05 AM
JRockwell

gusto - dustin has had that accent since 2000

Maybe, but then he has been forcing a whole different accent when he's made all those videos in the past few years.

3/21/13 12:08 AM
gusto

JRockwell - 

Maybe, but then he has been forcing a whole different accent when he's made all those videos in the past few years.

when i saw him in 2000 he just came back up to FL from brasil

accent might fade after he has been in the states for a while.

I think it is weird too, i just dont think it is an act
3/21/13 12:10 AM
htownbjj
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/21/13 12:12 AM
Great video, in this one he sounds like the most reasonable guy in the world. In other videos (like the one JRockwell posted), he comes across as a bit, shall we say, eccentric.
3/21/13 12:14 AM
JRockwell

gusto - 
JRockwell - 

when i saw him in 2000 he just came back up to FL from brasil

accent might fade after he has been in the states for a while.

I think it is weird too, i just dont think it is an act

Good point, and it's all good to me, it was just a little distracting at first.  Kinda like hearing an interview with an Australian actor when you've only seen the movies they've done for an American audience, if that makes sense.

Anyway, he does have a lot of great quotes and a lot of my lineage comes from De La Riva so I have tons of respect.  Love all of BJJ Hacks videos and this is another great one.

3/21/13 12:15 AM
htownbjj
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can kind of relate to the speaking issue. I spend a lot of time talking to non-native English speakers. Some of them I've known for years and we've created our own simplified, weird version of English. If I talk to them a lot, I find some of those strange phrases creeping into my everyday speech.
3/21/13 1:12 AM
kying418
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

htownbjj - Great video, in this one he sounds like the most reasonable guy in the world. In other videos (like the one JRockwell posted), he comes across as a bit, shall we say, eccentric.

Agreed- I thought it was ironic for a grappler who hasnt won BB Mundials or ADCC to always talk about how winning was everything.
3/21/13 1:30 AM
jmoney81

His videos are somewhat motivating and really weird at the same time.
3/21/13 6:24 AM
Daniel/CGJJ
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great video!!!

Dustin Denes is the closest you can get to an American version of Wallid Ismael.
3/21/13 7:56 AM
John Frankl
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love Wallid. But one of him in this world is probably enough:)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.