UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Hector Lombard: DFW has no regrets

3/20/13 6:00 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Hector Lombard had one of the great runs in MMA history, going 28 fights without a loss. However, when he was signed by the UFC for more money that Bellator was willing to match, he won one of the next three, most recently a loss to Yushin Okami at the recent UFC on Fuel TV 8 on March 3 in Japan.

Lombard suffered an injury in the loss, and is reportedly out for four to six weeks.

MMA fans can unfortunately be as fickle as a butterfly, and many felt that signing Lombard was a mistake. However, UFC president Dana White has no regrets.

"No, you can't ever look at a guy as a mistake," said White at the 158 post-fight press conference. "If a guy gets to a certain level, you bring him in.

"It's like when people try to compare these other shows to the UFC. You might be great in all these other shows, but when you fight here, you never know how great or not great a guy is going to be."

So what do you think UG? Was Hector Lombard's signing a mistake? Or was it something the world's dominant MMA league had to do?

3/20/13 6:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OneGloveJimmerson
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It'd be ridiculous to say that signing him was a mistake. He was making money for the competition and had potential to be big vs the top tier fighters as well. Bringing him in hurts Bellator, gets a name thats been built up on the competitions dime. If he comes in and is exposed as not top level, then you can always say "hey other people's champs can't even crack our top 5!".

Regretting how much you pay for this individual is always a possibility though..
3/20/13 6:06 PM
8flat
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It was a good offensive move.
3/20/13 6:06 PM
Condit's Face Broke My Hand
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You could say it was a mistake to pay him so much, but it makes Bellator look bad if Lombard never does much in the UFC so I wouldn't regret it if I'm Dana Phone Post
3/20/13 6:07 PM
man meets fate
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He made the company money, how was he a mistake?
3/20/13 6:11 PM
JLTECH

If he doesnt start to put some wibs togetherit makes bellator look bad and m and makes the ufc fighters look way ahead Phone Post
3/20/13 6:17 PM
Wrinkle
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The guy is exciting to watch, not a high percentage of fighters signed get me pumped when I see their name on a card. Lombard has that it factor where some shit could go down in any of his fights and that alone makes him worth every cent. Keep the guys who bring it.
3/20/13 6:18 PM
DoomFarmer
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll buy ppvs to watch Lombard. The guys who beat him couldn't sell me shit.

He should have gotten the nod in Boat-ch fight.

Made Palhares look like a can.

Had Okami dead on his feet in the 3rd but couldn't finish.

No shame. Phone Post
3/20/13 6:19 PM
Brian J DSouza

The signing of Hector Lombard should open up fighters & fans to the reality that there's a lot more money on the table than anyone realizes.

3/20/13 6:20 PM
kinson

Just reinforces that the ufc is the most competitive promotion out there. Phone Post
3/20/13 6:21 PM
mchase126
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No way it was a mistake. Lombard is a high level middleweight, just not likely to ever win a UFC belt. Phone Post
3/20/13 6:31 PM
3rdLion
235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana might regret it if he increases the amount of drug testing like he says. Phone Post
3/20/13 6:31 PM
MagSlim

Shouldn't the headline be DFW: No regrets on Lombard ?

Unless Lombard said Dana didn't have any regrets, cause that's what it sounds like, but not what happened.
3/20/13 6:32 PM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku

They don't regret bringing him in. They absolutely regret paying him so much. Phone Post
3/20/13 6:33 PM
PrestigeWorldwide
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It wasn't a mistake bc now ZUFFA knows going forward not to dish out that kind of bread to fighters who haven't proven themselves in the UFC. Phone Post
3/20/13 6:36 PM
Masakyst
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Signing him can not be considered a mistake. The price they paid for him, that's a different story.
SupesUp
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The best guys should always end up in the ufc and get their shot.
I love the bellator format just hate that the guys get locked up there and can't come to the big show sometimes. Phone Post
PrestigeWorldwide
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RampageFitsLikeAGlove -
MagSlim - Shouldn't the headline be DFW: No regrets on Lombard ?

Unless Lombard said Dana didn't have any regrets, cause that's what it sounds like, but not what happened.

Yes... LOL.. it reads like Lombard is telling us Dana has no regrets.

I read it the same way but its one of those "you know what I meant" moments. Phone Post
3/20/13 6:44 PM
shaqitup
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He may not make them money, but he will take money away from their biggest competition.

3/20/13 6:50 PM
Saltyballs
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Look at it like this...

We all know how Lombard would do in the UFC, but we will never know how Fedor would've done.

I would rather see a guy get a shot than always wonder "what if".

Not a mistake, imo. Phone Post
3/20/13 6:53 PM
mmavixen
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I still think we haven't seen the best of Hector in the UFC. Hopefully, he's got more of those vicious KO's in store for us.

3/20/13 6:54 PM
puddin1414

All I'm can say is I like watching the guy fight, okami blanketed him, boetsch got a win he didn't deserve, and I look forward to seeing him fight again Phone Post
3/20/13 6:55 PM
deadlyonetwo3
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really enjoy watching Hector Lombard fight... The guy is a beast, dangerous in all areas. He's had some tough matchups and come up a bit short, but he's not out of these fights and he certainly had the ability to win the fights he lost. Phone Post
3/20/13 6:56 PM
ChaosOverkill
519 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hector struggling, not signing Fitch to test askren with a former tire contender those are thing bellator will regret
3/20/13 6:57 PM
puddin1414

And, after reading all you guys comments, maybe the UFC should come up with a new format on signing guys. Maybe a decent 1 fight contract against a competitor on their skill level, see what they really got before dishing out a shit ton of money Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.