UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> Editorial issues at DC?

3/20/13 7:30 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
paw
1304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/20/235086/

I understand that Joshua Hale Fialkov has walked off both Green Lantern books he was due to begin writing, “Green Lantern Corps” and “Red Lanterns”.

We first reported that Fialkov was taking over those two comics last month, and DC later confirmed the news. But before his first issues are published I understand that he has chosen to curtail his run.

Just as yesterday, we told you that Andy Diggle had walked off Action Comics and today that’s been confirmed

Both incidents seem to involve repeated editorial changes to already-approved directions that have not been welcomed by the writers.

How many issues will ship with Josh’s name on them is not yet known. But as we discovered today with Supergirl, sometimes the change isn’t even reflected on the cover and the insides come as a complete surprise…

As ever, neither Josh nor DC Comics chose to reply to emails.

3/20/13 7:54 PM
Hercules Rockerfeller
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What the fuck are they doing over there?

3/20/13 7:58 PM
YVEL MACHIDA
346 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hercules Rockerfeller -

Seems like if your name is Snyder, Johns or Morrison you get fucked Phone Post
3/20/13 8:22 PM
YVEL MACHIDA
346 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YVEL MACHIDA -
Hercules Rockerfeller -

Seems like if your name is Snyder, Johns or Morrison you get fucked Phone Post
Name isnt* Phone Post
3/21/13 12:36 PM
paw
1304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/21/fialkov-left-dc-comics-over-plans-to-kill-off-john-stewart-dcs-black-green-lantern/

Yesterday, Bleeding Cool ran the news that Joshua Hale Fialkov was walking off his two Green Lantern books before a single issue had been published. It was soon confirmed by Fialkov and DC Comics representatives. What wasn’t addressed is exactly why.

Fialkov did post;

There were editorial decisions about the direction of the book that conflicted with the story I was hired to tell, and I felt that it was better to let DC tell their story the way they want. I’m grateful for the opportunity and I’ll miss working with the entire Green Lantern team.This was not an easy decision to make emotionally or financially, but, I’m sure it was the right decision for both me, and for the Green Lantern books. The outpouring of support, your kind words and well wishes means so much to me and my family.

I understand that both the editorial input for both Fialkov’s books, and fellow walker-outer Andy Diggle‘s Action Comics, were in direct contradiction of the promises made at the DC Creative Summit by Dan DiDio, backed by Diane Nelson, that once an overview of an arc had been greenlit by editorial, it wouldn’t be changed by editorial. One creator told me that the promised lasted four days.

But for Fialkov it seemed it wasn’t so much that there were editorial changed, but what they meant.

I have been told by a number of high profile industry sources that Fialkov was asked change his upcoming story to instead kill off Green Lantern John Stewart, DC Comics’ most prominent black character. And that is why he quit.

3/21/13 1:35 PM
paw

Great Ceasar's Ghost.  It's been confirmed!!!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=44405

It's been a week of exits for DC Comics. Not only did yesterday bring the news that Andy Diggle had left his assignment writing "Action Comics", but also that Joshua Hale Fialkov had resigned from "Green Lantern Corps" and "Red Lanterns." While both writers citied professional differences as the reason for their departure, new information on Fialkov's exit has come to light.

CBR has independently confirmed that, as reported on Bleeding Cool, Joshua Fialkov's resignation from his Green Lantern titles was due in large part to an editorial edict to kill off John Stewart.

Stewart is one of DC's most recognizable African-American characters, which makes it somewhat surprising that he be marked for death in light of the steps the publisher has taken to diversify its line with the New 52, adding Cyborg to the Justice League, creating a gay Alan Scott in "Earth 2" and launching the New 52 with several titles starring black characters. Stewart is also arguably the character most associated with the Green Lantern franchise among the non-comics reading public, having been the face of the Corps for the popular Justice League cartoons. He's so associated with the franchise, in fact, that when Ryan Reynolds was announced as the lead in Warner Bros. live action film, many people wondered why a white actor had been cast as a character who they thought of as black.

After Fialkov's announcement as "Green Lantern Corps" and "Red Lanterns" writer, he indicated in an interview with Comic Book Resources his eagerness to put his spin on the Green Lantern corner of the DCU.

"For me, the attraction was that I wanted to tell a crime story on a galactic level. That was my pitch to DC," he said. "Geoff [Johns] and all of the other guys have done such an amazing job, prior to us, of telling those big, giant space operas. Now it's time to narrow it down. Let's do stories that almost fall into a different genre while still being in the Green Lantern universe."

DC Comics latest creative shake-ups come as a surprise, though they aren't without recent precedent. After announcing Jim Zub as incoming writer for "Birds of Prey," DC announced he was off the book before any issues were even published. A similar situation occured with Robert Venditti and "Constantine," though both Venditti and editorial stated he just had too much on his plate to take on another assignment, likely the main "Green Lantern" title.

When approached by CBR News for this story, DC Comics had no comment.

3/21/13 1:43 PM
Daredevil73
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The comics industry is chock full of faggots.
3/21/13 3:17 PM
paw

IF this is true, I don't want to hear another word from the-powers-that-be at DC about how they understand fans desire for minority characters.

3/21/13 3:26 PM
Daredevil73
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is there a huge desire for minority characters?

I mean, I really don't give a shit. The comics industry this past year has felt like sitting through some awful mandatory diversity training at work.
3/21/13 3:46 PM
paw

Daredevil73 - Is there a huge desire for minority characters?

I mean, I really don't give a shit. The comics industry this past year has felt like sitting through some awful mandatory diversity training at work.

I suppose it depends on who you ask and how.  I'm more upset about the-powers-that-be at DC when they spew rubbish about how they are introducing minority characters, because:

Cassandra Cain still doesn't exist in the DCU, and creators (like Gail Simone) have gone on record that the-powers-that-be forbid using her.

DC makes a big deal about introducing an Iranian woman character (Kahina) who was killed the first issue she was introduced.

Now the rumor is John Stewart is history.

"I’ve always wanted to diversify the DCU, but usually when I do it, James Robinson comes along and kills them all. [Laughs] But certainly we try. To me, I look out the window and see all kinds of people walking down the street, and I want to see that reflected in the superhero community. I’m sure a lot of readers would like to see themselves represented as well. It’s always been a focus of mine to widen the scope of DC’s characters internationally and ethnically.”

---- Grant Morrison, 2010

3/21/13 3:49 PM
Daredevil73

That may be what Grant Morrison wants to do, but the comics fanbase is nerdy white guys.

I mean, is there really this big outcry?

I'll put this another way, is diversifying characters going to boost sales and help the industry in any meaningful way?

Look at the whole gay green lantern and the Northstar weddding, did this cause a new influx of gay fans to comics? No. It comes off like the pandering bullshit that it is.
3/21/13 4:40 PM
paw

Daredevil73 - That may be what Grant Morrison wants to do, but the comics fanbase is nerdy white guys.

I'll put this another way, is diversifying characters going to boost sales and help the industry in any meaningful way?

Look at the whole gay green lantern and the Northstar weddding, did this cause a new influx of gay fans to comics? No. It comes off like the pandering bullshit that it is.

Honestly, I don't know how big the outcry is, but I do know it exists, certainly for specific characters.

Would diversifying boost sales and help the industry?  I'm inclined to say "yes".  I cannot comment on if the sales would be "meaningful".  For example, I know that someone is buying Sailor Moon manga in the US.  I suspect those same people are not buying comics from the big two, but probably would if there was a title that appealed to them.  Now are those enough people to sustain a monthly comic?  No idea.

As to northstar and GL, I can't speak to GL...but my understanding is that there was an influx of fans for Northstar's wedding.  I don't know how significant the numbers were, or if they stayed for future issues.  I also think Marvel handled that better as Northstar had long been known to be gay so it wasn't a "WTF did the comic book company do to my favorite character" and more of a celebration.  Of course, YMMV.

My disconnect is that DC kills a minority character (like Kahina or John Stewart) or (and I do think this is the appropriate word) guts a character like Cassandra Cain and then acts surprised that fans get upset.  DC publishes books like Catwoman or Red Hood and the Outlaws #1, and then is "shocked" when fans say DC is msyogenistic.  What did they think was going to happen.

Now I don't what to suggest Marvel is "better", although I'm a biased x-fan who's used to reading a comic book series where there were minority characters - but my perception is Marvel is better at minority characters but not so much on the treatment of women characters.

As an uncle, I'm not sure there's a monthly comic book I would recommend to my neices, but I'm always looking for one.

3/21/13 10:34 PM
paw

DC flip/flops?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/21/john-stewart-he-lives/

Earlier today, we ran the story that Josh Fialkov had walked from his two Green Lantern books because he’d been told to kill off John Stewart.

Later, CBR reported the same, further confirming the story. And everyone has taken that opportunity to pile on.

Traffic peaked at Bleeding Cool to what I believe is an all-time record for the site, as John Stewart story managed to nudge out the already massive Angela/Guardians Of The Galaxy post.

Since that initial article there has been considerable hubbub in 1700 Broadway.

And I’m now being told be sources that as a result of the reaction – your reaction – that this particular plot has been nixed. Maybe it will now be a fake out, maybe it won’t happen at all. But John Stewart, DC’s most prominent black superhero, is not being killed off.

That’s the the thing about DC Comics, and it’s an aspect that frustrated creatives and even led to this very situation, they do now turn on a sixpence. Certainly in the light of the Orson Scott Card situation.

So Bleeding Cool forums, CBR forums, Reddit, Twitter, Change.org, where ever. If true, this one is down to you.

So hopefully this sort of thing from Tumblr won’t be necessary…

3/22/13 12:06 AM
Kneeblock
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Daredevil73 - That may be what Grant Morrison wants to do, but the comics fanbase is nerdy white guys.

If characters are introduced as flat tokens then no, there is not outcry, there is no influx and it is just pandering. 

But if characters are multi-dimensional and very interesting and just happen to look like my friends and family, then yes, I want to read it and will evangelize it to all and sundry.

Stewart started out in the former category and migrated to the latter. I would hate to see him go, but keeping him around because he's black is almost worse than killing off the main black guy.

3/22/13 4:49 AM
Leigh
715 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol @ claiming they are cancelling the plot line because of fan ire. Its because they still think killing a character is shocking and cool - except when it gets leaked months in advance and nobody cares when it finally happens. Phone Post
3/22/13 8:24 AM
Daredevil73

Those are interesting points all. I could see Kneeblock's point if that were the case, and it rarely seems to be. Instead it usually looks to me like it's a bunch of old dudes trying to figure out how to stay hip.

Also, I think the ire about killing of John Stewart is ridiculous. Dying in comics world is like catching a cold. We all know he'll come back eventually, and it usually boosts a character's popularity and sales.

BTW, did anyone catch that GL episode on CN where Hal ran into Guy Gardner and saw he'd been promoted? He asked Guy who the GL on earth was now and he said John Stewart, and Hal goes, "The fake news guy?"
3/22/13 8:36 AM
Leigh
715 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't see that one but have been enjoying the GL cartoon Phone Post
3/22/13 11:00 AM
BigWilliam
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Killing John would be a moronic move on DC's part. Why kill off a strong, established black character when you are struggling to get others going? It makes no sense.
3/22/13 11:07 AM
Daredevil73

BigWilliam - Killing John would be a moronic move on DC's part. Why kill off a strong, established black character when you are struggling to get others going? It makes no sense.

As I said above, to bring him back would be my guess.
3/22/13 11:17 AM
paw

Leigh -  Lol @ claiming they are cancelling the plot line because of fan ire. Its because they still think killing a character is shocking and cool - except when it gets leaked months in advance and nobody cares when it finally happens. Phone Post

It could be fan ire.  Maybe.  I mean Gail Simone was fired from Batgirl and then re-hired because of fan outcry in the space of a week or two.

Nah....you're probably right.  The-powers-that-be are all butthurt that someone spoiled the storyline.

3/23/13 8:54 AM
paw

DC responds....Bleedingcool stands by the story

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/22/when-dc-tweets-about-john-stewart/

Okay, this is a proper “final post of the night”. Off to bed for me. But first, it seems that people have been on Twitter. Regarding a certain killing off of Mr John Stewart, the Green Lantern.

Alex may have seen many unverified reports. And he’s right, there were plenty, from many sites, just repeated what they’d read on Bleeding Cool.

But he knows that the Bleeding Cool initial report and the CBR confirmatory report were most definitely verified. As, by the way, was our subsequent report.

And while Robert Venditti and Van Jensen may not have contemplated killing John Stewart, well no. That job was given to Joshua Hale Fialkov. And that’s why he walked. Since then, things have changed. As Bleeding Cool reported yesterday as well.

This is a fine example of saying things that suggest one thing but mean another. It seems to dismiss rumours as being false, but it doesn’t actually do that at all. It says that the creators have plans for John. Well yes, they do. It doesn’t mean that Josh wasn’t told to kill him off. And it seems to dismiss all reports are unverified, but it doesn’t do that either. In advertising, these are known as “weasel words”, when you say something that suggests one thing but never actually claims it.

John Stewart lives. But only because Fialkov did what he did… and you all did what you all did.

3/28/13 5:34 PM
I_Bungalo_Baboo_Babies
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

paw -

DC flip/flops?

Earlier today, we ran the story that Josh Fialkov had walked from his two Green Lantern books because he’d been told to kill off John Stewart.

Later, CBR reported the same, further confirming the story. And everyone has taken that opportunity to pile on.

Traffic peaked at Bleeding Cool to what I believe is an all-time record for the site, as John Stewart story managed to nudge out the already massive Angela/Guardians Of The Galaxy post.

And I’m now being told be sources that as a result of the reaction – your reaction – that this particular plot has been nixed. Maybe it will now be a fake out, maybe it won’t happen at all. But John Stewart, DC’s most prominent black superhero, is not being killed off.

That’s the the thing about DC Comics, and it’s an aspect that frustrated creatives and even led to this very situation, they do now turn on a sixpence. Certainly in the light of the Orson Scott Card situation.

So Bleeding Cool forums, CBR forums, Reddit, Twitter, Change.org, where ever. If true, this one is down to you.

What OSC situation he's one of my favorite novel writers Phone Post
3/28/13 5:52 PM
paw

I_Bungalo_Baboo_Babies - 
paw -

DC flip/flops?

Re: Orson Scott Card

OSC was initially signed on to write "Adventures of Superman", a new monthly that DC was launching.  However, Allout.org [I looked up their name from wikipedia...couldn't remember it] called for a boycott because of Card's views about homosexuality.  DC responded with a press statement along the lines of "Card has free speech and his views are his own.  We're paying him to write Superman, not promote his personal viewpoint."  But, the boycott spread with individual comic book stores claiming they would not buy "Adventures with Superman" if Card wrote it.  Finally, the artist involved with "Adventures of Superman" dropped out (presumably he did not want to be associated with the bad publicity) and that has delayed the book's launch.

3/28/13 7:01 PM
GrandInquisitor
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

paw - 
I_Bungalo_Baboo_Babies - 
paw -

DC flip/flops?

OSC was initially signed on to write "Adventures of Superman", a new monthly that DC was launching.  However, Allout.org [I looked up their name from wikipedia...couldn't remember it] called for a boycott because of Card's views about homosexuality.  DC responded with a press statement along the lines of "Card has free speech and his views are his own.  We're paying him to write Superman, not promote his personal viewpoint."  But, the boycott spread with individual comic book stores claiming they would not buy "Adventures with Superman" if Card wrote it.  Finally, the artist involved with "Adventures of Superman" dropped out (presumably he did not want to be associated with the bad publicity) and that has delayed the book's launch.

It's good to see that "open and free" crowd still loves to choke off opinions they don't agree with.

3/28/13 7:23 PM
YVEL MACHIDA

paw -
I_Bungalo_Baboo_Babies - 
paw -

DC flip/flops?

Best part about this is that his comments bring referenced are from an article in the early 90s. Interview him now and see what he says Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.