UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> Editorial issues at DC?

3/29/13 9:55 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YVEL MACHIDA - 
paw -
I_Bungalo_Baboo_Babies - 
paw -

DC flip/flops?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/21/john-stewart-he-lives/

Earlier today, we ran the story that Josh Fialkov had walked from his two Green Lantern books because he’d been told to kill off John Stewart.

Later, CBR reported the same, further confirming the story. And everyone has taken that opportunity to pile on.

Traffic peaked at Bleeding Cool to what I believe is an all-time record for the site, as John Stewart story managed to nudge out the already massive Angela/Guardians Of The Galaxy post.

Since that initial article there has been considerable hubbub in 1700 Broadway.

And I’m now being told be sources that as a result of the reaction – your reaction – that this particular plot has been nixed. Maybe it will now be a fake out, maybe it won’t happen at all. But John Stewart, DC’s most prominent black superhero, is not being killed off.

That’s the the thing about DC Comics, and it’s an aspect that frustrated creatives and even led to this very situation, they do now turn on a sixpence. Certainly in the light of the Orson Scott Card situation.

So Bleeding Cool forums, CBR forums, Reddit, Twitter, Change.org, where ever. If true, this one is down to you.

So hopefully this sort of thing from Tumblr won’t be necessary…

What OSC situation he's one of my favorite novel writers Phone Post

Re: Orson Scott Card

OSC was initially signed on to write "Adventures of Superman", a new monthly that DC was launching.  However, Allout.org [I looked up their name from wikipedia...couldn't remember it] called for a boycott because of Card's views about homosexuality.  DC responded with a press statement along the lines of "Card has free speech and his views are his own.  We're paying him to write Superman, not promote his personal viewpoint."  But, the boycott spread with individual comic book stores claiming they would not buy "Adventures with Superman" if Card wrote it.  Finally, the artist involved with "Adventures of Superman" dropped out (presumably he did not want to be associated with the bad publicity) and that has delayed the book's launch.

Best part about this is that his comments bring referenced are from an article in the early 90s. Interview him now and see what he says Phone Post

Sorry, but you're wrong. He's actively campaigning against gay marriage. I love his books, but I can get why people are mad.
3/29/13 10:15 AM
YVEL MACHIDA
542 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lymond -
YVEL MACHIDA - 
paw -
I_Bungalo_Baboo_Babies - 
paw -

DC flip/flops?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/21/john-stewart-he-lives/

Earlier today, we ran the story that Josh Fialkov had walked from his two Green Lantern books because he’d been told to kill off John Stewart.

Later, CBR reported the same, further confirming the story. And everyone has taken that opportunity to pile on.

Traffic peaked at Bleeding Cool to what I believe is an all-time record for the site, as John Stewart story managed to nudge out the already massive Angela/Guardians Of The Galaxy post.

Since that initial article there has been considerable hubbub in 1700 Broadway.

And I’m now being told be sources that as a result of the reaction – your reaction – that this particular plot has been nixed. Maybe it will now be a fake out, maybe it won’t happen at all. But John Stewart, DC’s most prominent black superhero, is not being killed off.

That’s the the thing about DC Comics, and it’s an aspect that frustrated creatives and even led to this very situation, they do now turn on a sixpence. Certainly in the light of the Orson Scott Card situation.

So Bleeding Cool forums, CBR forums, Reddit, Twitter, Change.org, where ever. If true, this one is down to you.

So hopefully this sort of thing from Tumblr won’t be necessary…

What OSC situation he's one of my favorite novel writers Phone Post

Re: Orson Scott Card

OSC was initially signed on to write "Adventures of Superman", a new monthly that DC was launching.  However, Allout.org [I looked up their name from wikipedia...couldn't remember it] called for a boycott because of Card's views about homosexuality.  DC responded with a press statement along the lines of "Card has free speech and his views are his own.  We're paying him to write Superman, not promote his personal viewpoint."  But, the boycott spread with individual comic book stores claiming they would not buy "Adventures with Superman" if Card wrote it.  Finally, the artist involved with "Adventures of Superman" dropped out (presumably he did not want to be associated with the bad publicity) and that has delayed the book's launch.

Best part about this is that his comments bring referenced are from an article in the early 90s. Interview him now and see what he says Phone Post

Sorry, but you're wrong. He's actively campaigning against gay marriage. I love his books, but I can get why people are mad.
I see now that he is on a board opposing gay marriage. A Few articles I read only referenced the 90s comments Phone Post
3/29/13 10:56 AM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^Yeah, he also wrote an op-ed and I think other stuff. Really wish he had kept his views to himself. He's an excellent author, hate to see him lambasted like this, even if I completely disagree with him.
3/29/13 11:58 AM
YVEL MACHIDA
542 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lymond - ^Yeah, he also wrote an op-ed and I think other stuff. Really wish he had kept his views to himself. He's an excellent author, hate to see him lambasted like this, even if I completely disagree with him.
The issue with this country is therr is no form of healthy disagreement.

So many people are willing to write off a whole body of work on one opinion Phone Post
3/29/13 2:22 PM
SamboMMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lymond - ^Yeah, he also wrote an op-ed and I think other stuff. Really wish he had kept his views to himself. He's an excellent author, hate to see him lambasted like this, even if I completely disagree with him.

Why should he have to keep his views to himself? Why should one side have to keep their views to themselves?
3/29/13 4:01 PM
Lymond

Edited: 03/29/13 4:03 PM
edit: no need for GG to become OG

^Reread my post and see if you understand.
3/29/13 5:25 PM
SamboMMA

Lymond - edit: no need for GG to become OG

Again. Why should he keep his views to himself while other writers [re. Liberals] can express their views openly in interviews and in the comics they write?
3/29/13 5:35 PM
Lymond

SamboMMA - 

Again. Why should he keep his views to himself while other writers [re. Liberals] can express their views openly in interviews and in the comics they write?

DERP

My point was I like him, and don't like seeing the criticism, ergo, I wish he had said nothing at all. I never said he had to keep his views to himself, that's you projecting. Now figure out a different way to generate some faux outrage, prick.

FTR what he has done is much different than expressing an opinion in interviews or comics but make your own thread (which I'll ignore) if you want to discuss that.
3/29/13 5:51 PM
SamboMMA

Lymond - 
SamboMMA - 

DERP

My point was I like him, and don't like seeing the criticism, ergo, I wish he had said nothing at all. I never said he had to keep his views to himself, that's you projecting. Now figure out a different way to generate some faux outrage, prick.

FTR what he has done is much different than expressing an opinion in interviews or comics but make your own thread (which I'll ignore) if you want to discuss that.

No faux outrage at all. Don't care about gay marriage but I'm tired of hearing about how one side should keep their views to themselves while the other side can promote theirs all the want.

Now are done being a faux outraged prick as well?
3/29/13 5:56 PM
Lymond

SamboMMA - 
Lymond - 
SamboMMA - 

DERP

No faux outrage at all. Don't care about gay marriage but I'm tired of hearing about how one side should keep their views to themselves while the other side can promote theirs all the want.

Now are done being a faux outraged prick as well?

I'm not the one that wouldn't let something go based upon my own misunderstanding of a post. All you were trying to do is pick a fight for no fucking reason, in an area of the OG that is lighthearted and fun.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.