UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Crossfit's "Thrusters" question/advice

3/21/13 5:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DarthChoke
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry I can't post vids at the moment. Recently saw some vids on Thrusters.

I KNOW Crossfit is not popular in here (bad form, philosophy, cultish, etc...) I just want to know if the vast majority of the vids show decent, proper technique.

I like the look of it for a strength, endurance, vomit inducing workout. I'd like to give them a try but don't want to have bad form.

Some vids show a hop at the end or at least the heels come off the ground. Obviously for a squat that is a huge no-no.

Again, I'm sorry I don't have vids to post. I'll get some links to make it a little easier. Phone Post
3/21/13 6:02 AM
DarthChoke
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVBgKB4Gnsw Phone Post
3/21/13 6:07 AM
DarthChoke

http://athletics.wikia.com/wiki/Thrusters#Modal

Click on the video demo. Phone Post
3/21/13 10:02 AM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"vomit inducing workout." Not good!
3/21/13 10:15 AM
vermonter
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For what you want out of it, i see no reason not to go up on your toes or to jump at the end.
3/21/13 6:21 PM
DarthChoke

JamesDean57 - "vomit inducing workout." Not good!
I'm exaggerating. Hyperbole. Phone Post
3/21/13 6:27 PM
DarthChoke

So my question is.... What is good form??

For the press part, should you be usin whole body momentum? Coming up on your toes? Should you keep planted just like the perfect squat with your heels digging in?

I could watch videos but I dot want to watch bad advice videos.

Why not just do a bunch of Olymipc lifts? Well, they can be quite complicated, and to do right I probably need an experienced person to actually watch me.

This movement/exercise is a full body, tiring, sweat inducing movement. I think I could get the hang of it easier than complex Olympic lifts.

I just don't want to learn the technique with bad advice. Phone Post
3/22/13 11:26 AM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DarthChoke - 

That's cool! It's just that a lot of people think if a work out destroys you and leaves you in the corner puking that it is a good work out, and that's just crazy.
3/22/13 11:30 AM
Nick Diaz is the KingGoAT
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub for later, wanna see the vid Phone Post
3/22/13 11:38 AM
Shanle929
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love Crossfit. It's fun. But for your question it depends if you're just doing the movement for exercise or competing in Fran or something. If going for fast times or not the raising up in toes or a small kimonos fine. Helps with the explosiveness at the top of the movement. Thing push press. But the squatting motion is still heels down like in a front squat. But if you're just doing the movement for the benefits of that movement no need for the hop or going up on toes. You can make it as strict as you like. Phone Post
3/22/13 11:39 AM
Shanle929

Jump not kimonos... No idea how that happened. Hahaha Phone Post
3/22/13 7:17 PM
Wiggy
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Generally as it pertains to anything Xfit, my recommendation is to listen to what Xfit says...then do the opposite.

As far as Thrusters go, they're a good exercise.  If you're just doing them for a conditioning effect, keep the weight light and try to keep form decent enough as you can.  (Chances are, if you're new, you'll have lousy front squat form - esp with the rack...I know mine blows.)  Don't do excess reps whilst overly fatigued or anything else like that.  Essentially, make sure where your own personal intersection of weight, reps, fatigue, and volume occurs at isn't a point that will end up jacking you up too bad.

If you're after any kind of real power improvements, then drop the Thruster and just squat heavy, jump, and do pushpresses.  If you have an affinity to learn the O-lifts, then do that.

Or you could skip the Thrusters completely, doing DB C&P, DB Snatch, Burpees, Swings, etc.

Wiggy - http://workingclassfitness.com/newsletter

3/23/13 2:51 AM
DarthChoke

Actually I was planning on using DBs for this. Not extremely heavy at all. Just as a conditioning, cardio, endurance, sweat enduring movement... Combined with exercises similar. BWE too. Phone Post
3/25/13 3:20 PM
kcbjj
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Always good advice from Wiggy
3/27/13 11:26 AM
dc1000
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yes definitely come on to your toes. if you're not, you aren't generating enough hip power for the over head part.

i hate thrusters

i can push press far more and front squat far more than I can thruster. hate it
3/30/13 10:57 AM
JamesDean57

newbornbabynoob - 
DarthChoke - 

I've never understood this. I've never felt like I was going to barf during a workout. When i push things hard I've felt several times like my organs were shutting down, just this weird numb feeling that comes over my body, and many times I've had to stop a workout before I shit my pants, but I've never felt like barfing.

Yeah that sounds like a good time to stop.
3/30/13 2:45 PM
gusto

newbornbabynoob - 
DarthChoke - 

I've never understood this. I've never felt like I was going to barf during a workout. When i push things hard I've felt several times like my organs were shutting down, just this weird numb feeling that comes over my body, and many times I've had to stop a workout before I shit my pants, but I've never felt like barfing.

ive felt bad after over doing squats and romanian dlifts once or twice.
3/31/13 7:19 AM
joemasepoos
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like thruster's , both DB and BB thrusters , super fast or slow , light or heavy , it's a great exercise , of course as with everything you must use perfect form which is best done with a personal trainer / coach helping you .
4/1/13 11:20 AM
DarthChoke

arnanderson - Barbell thrusters are a garbage movement
Huh? Make you sweat, make you breath heavy, provide a full body movement with additional weight.

Not everyone has the same goal. Phone Post
4/1/13 12:05 PM
JamesDean57

"Not everyone has the same goal."

/\ This, and that's all there is to it

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.