UnderGround Forums

Revgear League BJJGround >> Tips for training at home

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

3/21/13 8:06 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MrTickleBJJ
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've matted out my garage and am about to have a few guys over to try it out.

I'm just wondering whats the best ways to train at home? Is it best to recap the techniques covered in class before rolling, or best to drill your favourite techniques?

Should we just roll? Just drill?

I'm curious to how others have structured their home training...

(this is to supplement the classes I attend every week and not replace anything)

If you wanna look at the space I've created there are pictures on my blog

Http://mrticklebjj.wordpress.com/2013/03/14/grappleready/

Cheers! Phone Post
3/21/13 8:22 AM
allchokedup
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mr. Tickles BJJ sounds like a great place to go for some fun.
I have some mats in the garage and depending who i am training with usually sets the tempo. When I have friends coms over they are usually from a different gym. We usually just roll and I will try old/new techniques. Sometimes they will hit something on me I have not seen and I will ask about it after the roll.
When my wife and I train we usually drill. I teach her a technique and we will drill it over and over. We then roll and I will try to hit things i have been working on.
As for your garage space. Looks good to me. I would however add some floursent lighting. Like a Strip fixture right in the middle of the room. no less that 2 or 3 -4 ft t8 lamps.
Get your tickle on bro
3/21/13 8:28 AM
MrTickleBJJ
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

allchokedup - Mr. Tickles BJJ sounds like a great place to go for some fun.
I have some mats in the garage and depending who i am training with usually sets the tempo. When I have friends coms over they are usually from a different gym. We usually just roll and I will try old/new techniques. Sometimes they will hit something on me I have not seen and I will ask about it after the roll.
When my wife and I train we usually drill. I teach her a technique and we will drill it over and over. We then roll and I will try to hit things i have been working on.
As for your garage space. Looks good to me. I would however add some floursent lighting. Like a Strip fixture right in the middle of the room. no less that 2 or 3 -4 ft t8 lamps.
Get your tickle on bro
Yeah I suppose how I train will depend on who I'm training with!

I would love dome fluorescent lights in there but there's no electricity, so have now added a couple more battery operated LED lights which are decent. Phone Post
3/21/13 8:53 AM
GrahamJ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm in the UK, too: can you tell me about your mat setup?
Is it carpet underlay, then some thin jigsaw mats?
If so, where did you get it/them from, and how much did you pay?
3/21/13 8:58 AM
MrTickleBJJ

GrahamJ - I'm in the UK, too: can you tell me about your mat setup?
It's a layer of cardboard, covered with 2.5ch high density sheet foam and 12mm cheap jigsaw mats.

I had most of the sheet foam given to me by a friend and the mats come to £50 from ebay Phone Post
3/21/13 8:59 AM
MrTickleBJJ

*2.5cm Phone Post
3/21/13 10:00 AM
aed333
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if your training is to supplement class, I suggest you work on what you're lacking in regular classes

for example, I get tons of rolling and instruction in the classes I attend, so when I have people over to train, it's to drill drill drill, which we don't get to do enough in class, IMO

Also, since we only have timed rounds, I like to roll to the finish when I train at home, to work submissions (offence and defence) and rolling endurance

have fun with the new 'play room'!
3/21/13 5:15 PM
MrTickleBJJ

aed333 - if your training is to supplement class, I suggest you work on what you're lacking in regular classes

for example, I get tons of rolling and instruction in the classes I attend, so when I have people over to train, it's to drill drill drill, which we don't get to do enough in class, IMO

Also, since we only have timed rounds, I like to roll to the finish when I train at home, to work submissions (offence and defence) and rolling endurance

have fun with the new 'play room'!

We ended up just rolling for 1.5 hours as we have competitions coming up and felt the need for endurance.

We did timed rounds but I tried to keep the intensity high and not rest for too long between rounds.

My mats held up well but I definitely need more padding on the walls!

Having a play room is awesome!!
3/21/13 6:17 PM
GrahamJ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MrTickleBJJ - 
It's a layer of cardboard, covered with 2.5ch high density sheet foam and 12mm cheap jigsaw mats.

I had most of the sheet foam given to me by a friend and the mats come to £50 from ebay Phone Post

Cool: I was looking for something soft, thick, and cheap to make mats with; this seems perfect.

Is the garage part of your house - or do you rent it?
3/22/13 5:24 AM
MrTickleBJJ

GrahamJ -
MrTickleBJJ - 

Cool: I was looking for something soft, thick, and cheap to make mats with; this seems perfect.

Is the garage part of your house - or do you rent it?
yea the garage is part of my house, the mats are fine for rolling but I wouldn't do any takedowns on them :) Phone Post
3/22/13 9:03 AM
MountainMedic
1013 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I had a mat room, mostly we would work on a certain thing that I wouldn't have enough time to focus on in class. This would always devolve into rolling tho, lol... but then I would spend most of my live time in the next class working to hit whatever my current fixation was (top triangle, for example). It really helped my learning curve. Phone Post

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.