UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Matt Brown Discusses His Chances Against GSP

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

3/21/13 1:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LevickMMA
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Speaking of GSP he is coming off another successful title defense this past Saturday night over Nick Diaz. Brown offered up his assessment of the fight and whether or not he has what it takes to be the man to wrestle the belt from GSP’s vice like grip.

“Same old GSP, he does the same thing to everybody,” offered Brown. “They all know what he is going to do, but they still can’t stop it. I think I can do what he does better and totally stifle his game. I know that sounds kind of crazy especially considering most of my losses have been by submission and I’m not a big credentialed wrestler. I understand that people will laugh when I say that, but it doesn’t bother me, I train with higher level wrestlers than he trains with. I’m honest with myself and I know where I’m at and I know what I can accomplish. I know that I can get there and I can beat him.”

“For me it’s not just about confidence, I truly know it. I can tell you right now, GSP can’t strike with me. When it comes down to it, he’s going to take you down, maybe punch you a couple of times and keep you down there. When guys like Matt Hughes or Josh Koscheck weren’t able to stop that, then Matt Brown comes along and says he’s going to stop his takedowns, it sounds kind of crazy. It’s just a matter of me performing at the best of my abilities. If I do that I’ll end up beating him.”

To read the full interview click here:

3/21/13 1:25 PM
Willin
399 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/21/13 1:26 PM

Hmmm - but it's a matter of performing it under the highest pressure imaginable in enemy territory. Easier said than done. Who does Brown have next?

3/21/13 1:30 PM
MTH
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Uhh . . . no.

But, this does give us--again--a little insight into part of what it takes to be a successful pro fighter.  Brown believes he can beat any welterweight in the world.  He really, truly believes it. 

No matter how crazy the match up seems on paper, no matter how much his own record undermines his claim, he really, truly believes he can beat GSP or any other welterweight.  It's all just a matter of performing to the "best of his abilities."  You see, when he doesn't win, it's not because he was outclassed in any area, but, rather, that he just didn't perform at his best.  If only he had performed at his best, he would've won.

The irony is that even if that's in FACT not true, if you don't at least BELIEVE that it is, then you'll never really achieve as much as you could in any athletic competition. 

3/21/13 1:35 PM
Willin
399 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MTH - 

Uhh . . . no.

But, this does give us--again--a little insight into part of what it takes to be a successful pro fighter.  Brown believes he can beat any welterweight in the world.  He really, truly believes it. 

No matter how crazy the match up seems on paper, no matter how much his own record undermines his claim, he really, truly believes he can beat GSP or any other welterweight.  It's all just a matter of performing to the "best of his abilities."  You see, when he doesn't win, it's not because he was outclassed in any area, but, rather, that he just didn't perform at his best.  If only he had performed at his best, he would've won.

The irony is that even if that's in FACT not true, if you don't at least BELIEVE that it is, then you'll never really achieve as much as you could in any athletic competition. 

...or anything, for that matter.

3/21/13 1:35 PM
Right Hand JO Power
1884 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's like me saying I could beat Peter North in a shootout. Not happening! Phone Post
3/21/13 1:39 PM
WhoShotYushinOkami
408 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MTH - 

Uhh . . . no.

Great post and spot on.

3/21/13 1:48 PM
subwrassler
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good attitude actually
3/21/13 1:53 PM
Smellde Gluve
652 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3/21/13 1:54 PM
Willin

Right Hand JO Power - That's like me saying I could beat Peter North in a shootout. Not happening! Phone Post
Hahahaha Phone Post
3/21/13 2:06 PM
JOESONDO
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/21/13 2:08 PM
The odds of them ever fighting is next to nil, so he will never have to back up his statement.
3/21/13 2:11 PM
NorthFromHere
327 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
Rick Story or Mike Pierce would be a good test for Brown after Hardy
3/21/13 2:15 PM
Evzey
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NorthFromHere - Rick Story or Mike Pierce would be a good test for Brown after Hardy
I think Hardy beats Brown Phone Post
3/21/13 2:15 PM
stevekt
1012 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If there are welterweights on the UFC roster that do not have a similar belief then they should submit their resignation. Phone Post
3/21/13 2:24 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
931 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stevekt -  If there are welterweights on the UFC roster that do not have a similar belief then they should submit their resignation. Phone Post

This. He even said people will laugh at him for saying what he said, which I'm not entirely surprised if people come in here and bash him for his confidence.

3/21/13 2:26 PM
Lobo8
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol
3/21/13 2:34 PM
orcus

Matt could be aggressive off his back and -- unlike Nick -- I think he will pour it on to the best of his ability for the entire fight -- but he is not stopping the takedowns. He couldn't even stop Swick's iirc.

GSP doesn't even attempt subs anymore so it could at least be a more exciting fight than many of his title defenses. Not ever going to happen unless Matt can get at least one big name, top 10 win after beating Hardy.

3/21/13 2:51 PM
cheesesteak
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brown trains with wrestlers that are better than the Canadian Olympic team?
3/21/13 3:26 PM
Left kick cemetery
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's a great attitude shows the mentality that you need if wanna be a fighter at that level. But lets be real I don't think he could beat Jordan Mein much less GSP.
3/21/13 3:31 PM
stevekt
1012 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Animal Mother -
stevekt - If there are welterweights on the UFC roster that do not have a similar belief then they should submit their resignation. Phone Post
I agree, but that said, Brown has gone full retard. Phone Post
LOL. People that get punched in the face for a living aren't all there to begin with. Phone Post
3/21/13 3:35 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
931 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Left kick cemetery - That's a great attitude shows the mentality that you need if wanna be a fighter at that level. But lets be real I don't think he could beat Jordan Mein much less GSP.

Sounds like a good fight. I'd like to see that.

3/21/13 3:40 PM
Wasa-B
372 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Everyone's gotta shoot at the champ...nothing to see here really
3/21/13 4:02 PM
MMAfan1million

Brown is delusional. He said most fans would laugh, and that's the only thing he was correct about. Phone Post
3/21/13 4:02 PM
Forest Whitakers Lazy Eye
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Respect. True warrior spirit Phone Post
3/21/13 4:10 PM
jmb73
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Forest Whitakers Lazy Eye - Respect. True warrior spirit Phone Post
. Phone Post
3/22/13 1:57 AM
NorthFromHere
327 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
Hardy is out. Jordan Mein is in.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.