UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> What is it that you like/love about training?

3/21/13 4:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tilla
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fire away..
3/21/13 4:23 PM
jeremy hamilton
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At this point I have no idea why I do what I do.

At first I am sure it had a lot to do with ego and looking cool, but what it has morphed into is nothing like how it started. At this point it is more of how I define myself as a person, this is what I do. I am a lifter first, then everything else comes second.

Or I just like getting stronger...
3/21/13 4:24 PM
jeremy hamilton
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh and good topic btw, I expect a lot of different answers.
3/21/13 4:41 PM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/21/13 5:40 PM
Cool topic.

For me, I just like to see what I'm capable of doing. I go through phases where I focus on different attributes and activities, and I love the process where you end up doing things that you thought were way beyond your ability when you started.

Edit: And I really love the outdoors too. I love going out for hours and just blasting my lungs and legs in the mountains.
3/21/13 5:26 PM
Tilla

Cheers guys ;-)

When I have a tough session, and I feel like I'm going to pass out halfway through, I think to myself "Why THE FUCK are you doing this nonsense for? You must be a lunatic!" and it's the little things that I love like that (the doubt) and overcoming it. The thought of pushing your body to its limits is another as well.

3/21/13 5:37 PM
TwoCanVanneDamne
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not sure really. I started when I was 14 out of vanity and now I'm 28 that has nothing to do with it. I think I just do it because I love it. I enjoy every minute I'm in the gym.
That's about it at this point Phone Post
3/21/13 10:22 PM
DaddyO4
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love the feeling I get from pushing myself during workouts and the sensation of euphoria that follows the workout...

I love learning and applying that knowledge ....

I love the process of structuring the different aspects of training leading up to a competition, sort of like I am my own project or mound of clay to sculpt,or my own business to develop....

What I sometimes don't like is the amount of time MMA does take,sometimes I wish I had a less demanding,time consuming
hobby..................nah!

I also hate warming up,wish I could just show up to practice warmed up.Warming up is the toughest part of practice as you get older.
3/21/13 11:48 PM
rpribyl

I lift because... I dont know how else to say it.... But I like being a monster. I don't have any other physically competitive outlet right now. And it's something I miss, i grew up playing multiple competetive sports, so lifting is my competition .... With myself. Phone Post
3/22/13 8:07 AM
Wiggy
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I saw this thread last night and didn't have an immediate answer...mostly b/c the answer was too complex.  I stewed on it overnight, got up early, and cranked out the below as a blog post in response.  

FRAT warning.

What’s up, guys?

So, I was on the Underground Strength & Conditioning forum last night.  Saw a very simple thread title:

“What is it that you like/love about training?”

Seems like a simple question, doesn’t it?  I mean, basically, it’s asking why is it that you like to work out?

But as I thought about it, I realized my answer wasn’t quite so simple.  Nor was there only one answer to be had.

I mean, why is it that I do like working out?  Why do I like hitting the gym?  What is it that makes me wanna continue to get stronger?  To get faster?  To improve my cardio and get in better shape?

Why do I like grunting under heavy weight?  What is it that makes me enjoy the fact that I can do more Chins than ever?  Why is it that, just as I happened to post on Facebook yesterday, “I’m one of those weird dudes that actually *likes* doing Tempo Intervals”?  Why do I like drowning in a pool of my own sweat when I leave the gym?

Because let’s face it – all of this stuff is hard work, right?  None of it is surely easy.  And it all flies in the face of conventional thinking.  Most “normal” people don’t like working this hard.  Not on purpose, anyway.

So why do I like it?

Part of it, I’m not ashamed to admit, is an ego thing.  I might not always be the biggest guy in a room.  Or the strongest.  Or the fastest.  Or have the best cardio.  But it’s a safe bet that I’m pretty much always in the top 3.  And you can be for damn sure that when you combine all those together, you’re hard pressed finding some other “regular guy” who does ‘em all like I do.

I like knowing that when people need to move, I’m the first one on their speed dial.  Not because I enjoy moving…I actually can’t stand it.  But because I like the fact that people know…when push comes to shove and shit has to get done…forget about the Ghostbusters.  Wiggy is “who you gonna call”.

Part of it is simple drive.  I don’t like, agree with, condone, identify with, or in any way “get” this mentality most people have today of not wanting to better themselves.  Of not always trying to improve.  Of settling for mediocrity.  Of having no goals nor striving to be more.

Every single day, I want to better.  In every way.  Mentally.  Spiritually.  Emotionally.  Physically.

My goal is that when I lay my head down at night, I want to be a better man than I was when I got up.

It’s like I tell people – especially those I’ve not seen in a long time – I’m the best version of myself I’ve ever been.  I’m better today than I was yesterday, and even more than I was the day before that.  But it doesn’t hold a candle to what I’m becoming tomorrow.

As thought about all these things, and why they motivate me to hit the gym each day, I realized that they were all centrally focused.  All internal.  All about me.

When the truth is, one of the biggest reasons…one of the most satisfying…and the one I’m the most grateful for…is for the sake of others.

(cont)
3/22/13 8:07 AM
Wiggy
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

See, when I go to the gym, I work.  I bust my ass.  I learn.  I experiment.  I grow.

This allows me to take what I’ve learned what I’ve gleaned…what I’ve developed…and spread it to others, so that they might grow as well.

When I get home from the gym, sweaty, tired, yet satisfied – even though I was tired as hell – my daughter learns the value of work ethic and determination. (Which is one of the reasons why, as my pals on Facebook know, “Mini-Wiggy” – as she’s come to be known – is such a tough and cool kid.)

When I continually bust my ass in the gym, I get the guy a couple weeks ago telling me when he sees me working hard, it motivates him.  I get the girl who asks me what I’ve been doing different, because she can tell I’m leaning out and looking better, and she wants to know if there’s any of it she can do.  I get the grandma – at least in her 50s-60s – who takes me to one side to tell me I’m her “inspiration”, because she always sees me working my ass off, and it inspires her to make sure she comes in and works hard, too.

When I continually experiment with new forms of training, I get to discover methods that work and pass them onto others.  This helps them dramatically improve their own lives.

Because then, I get the email from Aaron, telling me my workouts helped him win his 2nd Championship MMA belt and sign a pro contract.

Ronnie’s female bootcamp class that uses my workouts.

Because then, I get the email from James, telling me that for the first time in years, he’s not just big and strong, but fast, has great cardio, and most importantly, injury-free and finally healthy.

Because then, I get the email from Sammy, telling me he’s lost 45lbs and has the kids at his gym asking him if he’s military special forces…when he’s really 46 years old.

Because then, I get the email from Ronnie, who uses my workouts with an entire class of female bootcampers who regularly burn 1000+ calories in a workout.

Because then, I get the email from Peggie asking to help her train and prepare for the RKC, and is going to set aside time this weekend to catch up on all my new youtube videos…because I’m (in her words) “one smart fucker”.

Because then, I get the email from Tom, telling me that he’s recently had a massive heart attack.  That he should have died.  That doctors and nurses tell him most guys would be dead right now.  That it was him being in seriously good shape that let him not even lose consciousness.  That it was my workouts that literally saved his life.

So why do I work out?  And why do I work out so hard?

Because I wanna be the best damn version of me I could ever be.  And I wanna help as many others as I can do the same damn thing.

3/22/13 9:20 AM
Dogfight
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What an awesome post, Wiggy.

Should end the thread, but I'm gonna echo one thought...

One of the biggest sources of deep, real, satisfaction in life is feeling like I am at least a little better today than I was yesterday, and tomorrow I'm going to be a bit better than today.
3/22/13 12:27 PM
5pointer

to me its become theraputic. im 34 and started at 12 or so to be stronger for sports. for the past 5 or 6 yrs its simply a time set aside - 90 minutes or so 3x a week to be alone and to just lift. no stress, no pressure, no life worries during that time. i have nvr really like working out with another person. stick me in a gym by myself and let me go and leave me alone for an hour and half.
3/22/13 2:22 PM
Taku
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/22/13 7:51 PM

WOW...That was an awesome post Wiggy. And may I say (while it's fresh in my mind) it's really great to have you back here on the S&C forum as such a strong, consistent presence.

I feel thay my answer to this question really mimics many of those above. I think I started because I wanted to look and feel better. I then (at some point) made the connection with performace enhancement for my chosen sport of the time.

My personal focus has swung back and forth from improving performance in athletics to pure æsthetics. Now, after all these years, it's primarily focussed on health and function. Deep down inside I still want to perfrom well and see just what I can do as the clock ticks ever onword...

I've stuck with this stuff longer than anything else in my life, so clearly it means something to me.

TAKU

3/22/13 3:34 PM
JBryan

Been at it for over 50 years. I feel training builds Discipline and Character .
3/22/13 3:59 PM
Wiggy

JBryan - Been at it for over 50 years. I feel training builds Discipline and Character .

50 years? Pretty new join date. (Seeming) last name of Bryan...

This wouldn't be the infamous Grandpab, would it!?!?!
3/22/13 4:33 PM
Taku
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/22/13 4:34 PM

Hey Wiggy,

Nope it's not Grandpab. JBryan, is the real deal. He has been there, and done it. He is a real athlete, a real strength coach,  a real Martial arts enthusiast, and practitioner, and a real stand-up guy.

TAKU

3/22/13 4:39 PM
Wiggy

Oh - sorry for the mix-up.
3/22/13 11:19 PM
shootfighterbull

Great posts guys. I work out and lift to better myself, not just physically, but mentally too. Phone Post
3/23/13 5:49 AM
factchecker

One of the great things about lifting is that it is a lot safer than other sports and it can make you freakishly strong.
3/23/13 11:39 AM
Tilla

@ Wiggy - You the man! That was an AWESOME post, bro. VTFU! ;-)

I love the part about it being hard work and that you do it in purpose! It's like WE KNOW that it SUCKS but WE LOVE it! Pretty weird, huh? Haha. There isn't many better feelings than pushing your body to its limits, and your mind also.
3/26/13 6:30 PM
shadallion
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I do it 100% for the results:

Look better
Better self-confidence
More attractive to women
Better in a fight

I get NO enjoyment from the physical work itself. It is painful, time-consuming, expensive and sweaty. I want results.
3/27/13 11:22 AM
CMX
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like improving whether its more weight, more reps, new lifts whatever, pushing thru when your tired and you want to stop but you get thru, you get stronger mentally and physically and of course its a great outlet for anger and saves the idiots i work with from my wrath Phone Post
3/27/13 11:50 PM
Dean Demuro
340 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's gone all over the spectrum for me...pure strength, athletic performance, vanity, health...the one thing that has been consistent throughout this process for me?

It sedates me. If I have to miss a week for whatever reason I'm grumpy, and admittedly lousy to be around.

I don't like that feeling. Phone Post
3/29/13 7:35 AM
LordSeano
199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good thread topic.

I was super skinny as a kid and a late developer so when i first started it was about confidence. Like 5ft 8 140lbs at about 15

But bizarrely i was embarrassed about it. I was terrified about other kids finding out about it as i knew it would give them something to give me shit about.

Then i started thai boxing at 16 and gpt in with a lot of the local meatheads/bouncers who kind of took me under their wing and got me into some decent training habits.

Then i went to university and it became about looks /girls and stayed that way for years. Nowadays its about health but also about a sense of self satisfaction /ego which im not afraid to admit.

My growth phase was really from 18-19 and whilst i am not lifting anything like some of the guys on here, i like knowing that at 33 i am in significantly better shape than most of my peers - bigger, stronger, fitter.

Im 6ft 2 and 210 now which is as light as ive been for a long while after training for tough mudder but i see guys my age that look 10 yrs older than me Phone Post
3/30/13 12:31 AM
HERTSWENIP
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/30/13 12:31 AM
I enjoy it lifting for the sake of lifting- it feels good to my body, relieves stress, clears my head, as a non-religious guy, it is my "religion."

I would still lift even if they made a prescribed myostatin inhibitor injection.

It's also prevented fights/confrontations, saved my life (pedestrian car accident), increased my luck with women, and increased my athletic ability tremendously.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.