UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Marcus Davis: Fighting has shortened my lifespan

3/21/13 7:05 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1032 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Marcus "The Irish Handgrenade" Davis recently appeared on MMAJunkie Radio for a wide-ranging interview, that included the dangers of 20 years of professional fighting in boxing, kickboxing, and MMA.

"If you think all those fights haven't shortened my life span ... I'm a realist," said Davis. "But it's no different than somebody's choice to pick up a cigarette and smoke, or pick up a beer and drink and kill some brain cells.

"My choice was that I am on this earth to fight. I chose MMA to be the business that I was involved in. That's how I cared for my family. I accept the fact that this is what I've done, and I don't want to change a damn thing about it."

"I don't believe I'm a guy that's something different or special. I just believe that the doors have been laid in front of me, whether you believe in God or not, and I've walked through the doors and made some good decisions on doing some things, and I enjoy doing them."

Read entire article...

3/21/13 10:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
used2wrestle
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think a lot of people (like me) are going to read this and get a bit of a sinking feeling... considering that I've had like 10 concussions and the last time I wrestled I had a headache and dizziness for 8 months...
3/21/13 10:35 PM
KnowKontrol
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The cost is great but so are the rewards? Phone Post
3/21/13 11:07 PM
luffy
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He fights for the unparalleled thrill that is fighting, the focus of anticipation, the soul cleansing scrap, and giddy post fight joy.

Damn the consequences!
3/21/13 11:12 PM
Kingofny23
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Marcus was retiring after TUF 2... Phone Post
3/21/13 11:13 PM
BiggRiggWreckedGQ
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And he just decreased Spiritwolf's ability to have kids in return Phone Post
3/21/13 11:16 PM
charliedelta1000
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So fucking stupid

-From a big fan
3/21/13 11:19 PM
Fedors Jim Jams
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

luffy - He fights for the unparalleled thrill that is fighting, the focus of anticipation, the soul cleansing scrap, and giddy post fight joy.

Damn the consequences!

i prefer banging broads. just wear a rubber
3/22/13 11:15 AM
XcessiveZ
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

john_d1974 - "My choice was that I am on this earth to fight"

jeez, it could have at least been something your good at.
Davis is a great fighter, have some respect. Phone Post
3/22/13 11:19 AM
Kirik
1597 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor
john_d1974 - "My choice was that I am on this earth to fight"

Please tell me that this is an example of humor not coming across as intended on the Internets?

3/22/13 11:26 AM
FloridaStriker

KnowKontrol -  The cost is great but so are the rewards? Phone Post

Exactly. I mean whats taking a few years off of your life for the ego boost of punching another grown man in the face so that people might acknowledge your existence on TV for 5 minutes
3/22/13 11:31 AM
ShakeR_

Fight - and you may die. Run - and you'll live. But on your death bed, when that time has come, would you not be willing to give all those days back for FREEDOM (to fight)!!!

- Braveheart (paraphrased / modified) Phone Post
3/22/13 11:50 AM
Herman Munster

Edited: 03/22/13 11:51 AM

Hopefully GSP will know what it's like to have that perspective after his career.   It's all about being a warrrrior in the moment man.  Fuck the rest of your life man.  The fans rip the PPV off the Internet for free, some even pay $50 PPV, they are entitled to seeing you end up with brain damage one day damn it.  "Just Bleed"

3/22/13 12:36 PM
Jaybrone
328 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 

Please tell me that this is an example of humor not coming across as intended on the Internets?

Sadly I think it is just an example of a jackass proliferating the UG.

3/22/13 12:43 PM
The Last Emperor

Edited: 03/22/13 12:43 PM
I've had one serious concussion in my life after I flipped an ATV and my head hit a tree, and I still have random dizzy spells and headaches because of it. I can't imagine what MMA fighters go through for their sacrifices. Props to Marcus Davis and ALL mixed martial artists for doing what they do.
3/22/13 12:49 PM
iPullMount

Kirik - 

I was gonna respond to the comment, but Kirik said it better then I could. Davis a one hell of a fighter, and the reason I got into MMA. His fight with Lytle was the first MMA fight I ever saw and I fell in love with the sport.
3/22/13 1:00 PM
chaplinshouse
704 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i guess that's why your fellow scottsman are ill represented in mma?  stick to sheep bangin! 

3/22/13 1:11 PM
SonnendbySilva
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chaplinshouse -

i guess that's why your fellow scottsman are ill represented in mma?  stick to sheep bangin! 

It's welsh people that shag sheep. (Apparently)

But seriously I hope this was a joke. Real arsehole thing to say. A guy puts his body on the line in every fight he has and some knob cheese disrespects him like this? How many awards have u received in your job/hobby? Phone Post
3/22/13 1:21 PM
JOB
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Marcus is a good guy, and in amazing shape for his age. He's almost 40! He's battle scarred for sure.
3/22/13 1:50 PM
bignightmare
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Marcus Davis is the man. He is living his dream and destiny and anyone that says he isnt good at this is an idiot that has never trained. This is a tough sport and it is even tougher as a living. He has made it.

I appreciate he takes a responsible outlook and takes accountability. Anyone that has been around knows that this is not a road but a toll road.
3/22/13 2:21 PM
TuLegit

It's good to see a bad dude like him have no regrets about fighting. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.