UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Thigh Injury, WTF?

3/22/13 2:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jaytrainwreck
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

While sparring last saturday ( training for my first amatuer mma fight) I sustained injury on my right thigh.  From what I can recollect, I threw a right leg body kick at my sparring partner and my thigh, somehow, collided with his elbow or forearm while he attempted to block it.  Furthermore, almost immeadiatley after the collision I felt a swelling-type feeling in my thigh, however, I continued on for about two more rounds.  When practice ended, intially, I did not  have any trouble walking or using stairs despite the tense feelng in my thigh, so I kind of ignored it as I drove home.  Unfortunatly, when I arrived home I began to feel a decent amount of pain as I walking, and due to time constraints because I had to get to work in a hour and a half, I did not use the Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation (RICE) procedure.  In addition, about seven hours later, I was limping like a mofo and could barely get in and out of my car and my thigh had balloned in size I was basically immobile for next couple days. Furthermore, during this time I did some googling of thigh injuries and read about how contusions to the quadricep muscles cause some the symptoms I had experianced.  Though, on Tuesday I felt the symptoms of my inury were alleviated enough as to allow to go my BJJ and Muay Thai classes.  I soon found I was wrong when I attempted to roll, and two days later, I feared that exacerbated my injury.

I wrote this wondering if anyone on the UG has experianced a situation similar to mine, and if so how long was the recovery period.   Moreover, as forementioned I have only trained once this week and have not been able to do any cardio, so I have been reluctantly contemplating pulling out my first ammy fight in May.  So, what says the UG?

3/22/13 2:49 PM
deadlysyn
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had a similar injury from eating some serious leg kicks from a heavyweight. Do u have a lot of bruising? Most of my leg eventually turn purple all the way up to my groin. I could almost not walk at all for the first day and it took almost a month to heal. Part of me thinks the injury was to the bone and not just the muscle and I may have gotten some sort of infection from it and it was sensitive for months. Icing it for 15 minutes several times a day helped with the pain. Phone Post
3/22/13 2:54 PM
JerodR
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best to get it checked out if you can. If you have any kind of a tear, the last thing you want to do is make it worse.
3/22/13 3:58 PM
ingsoc
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Where is your pain? Do you have any numbness or weakness in your foot?

The worst possible explanation for unrelenting pain/swelling is a compartment syndrome, which involves muscle swelling so severe that it cuts off blood flow, causing irreparable muscle and nerve damage. This diagnosis buys you emergent surgery, but is relatively rate. a compartment syndrome is not likely to result from blunt force trauma sustained during a fight. The energy is not high enough.

The most likely explanation is a hematoma in the thigh muscles. A quad hematoma is very common, very painful. It can actually cause loss of knee flexion, leg function if not properly treated. Treatment for a hematoma is quad stretches, RICE.

Bottom line is, if you had or are having nerve issues in your leg, be evaluated in an ED. If it's just thigh pain, see an orthopedist. Phone Post
3/22/13 4:07 PM
jaytrainwreck
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/22/13 4:08 PM
ingsoc -  Where is your pain? Do you have any numbness or weakness in your foot?

The worst possible explanation for unrelenting pain/swelling is a compartment syndrome, which involves muscle swelling so severe that it cuts off blood flow, causing irreparable muscle and nerve damage. This diagnosis buys you emergent surgery, but is relatively rate. a compartment syndrome is not likely to result from blunt force trauma sustained during a fight. The energy is not high enough.

The most likely explanation is a hematoma in the thigh muscles. A quad hematoma is very common, very painful. It can actually cause loss of knee flexion, leg function if not properly treated. Treatment for a hematoma is quad stretches, RICE.

Bottom line is, if you had or are having nerve issues in your leg, be evaluated in an ED. If it's just thigh pain, see an orthopedist. Phone Post

The pain is coming from the outside part of my thigh, I made doctor's appointment, haven't had any numbness in the foot. thanks

3/22/13 4:20 PM
jaytrainwreck

deadlysyn -  I had a similar injury from eating some serious leg kicks from a heavyweight. Do u have a lot of bruising? Most of my leg eventually turn purple all the way up to my groin. I could almost not walk at all for the first day and it took almost a month to heal. Part of me thinks the injury was to the bone and not just the muscle and I may have gotten some sort of infection from it and it was sensitive for months. Icing it for 15 minutes several times a day helped with the pain. Phone Post

No discoloration, going to the store to buy an ice pack.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.