UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Ed Herman: I fear none! Ha! Actually...

3/22/13 2:44 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

This is number twenty-four in Jack Brown’s series of interviews with MMA fighters and personalities, and for this particular interview, we’re pleased to feature UFC middleweight, Ed Herman.  Herman is a true veteran of the sport, who has fought a number of the toughest guys over the past decade.  Most fans know him as a finalist from the infamous third season of The Ultimate Fighter, but he has had a long career since the days of Shamrock vs. Ortiz.  Please enjoy our conversation below.

Jack Brown: What was your first experience with martial arts/combat sports and how did it become more than just a hobby for you?

Ed Herman: I started wrestling at the age of five.  I didn't get into MMA until I was twenty-one.  I started training BJJ at Straight Blast Gym in Portland.

JB: Your first professional MMA fight was a win via armbar back in 2003.  What memories stand out most from that submission victory?

EH: My first pro fight was over ten years ago?  Wow!  I remember we were in some little town in Washington and got snowed in after the fight.   We went out for Mexican food, and ran into a huge Mexican family that was celebrating their son’s release from jail.  We traded tequila shots and stories all night.  Good times!

JB: Prior to your long career in the UFC, you were an impressive 13-3 with wins over notable fighters like Brian Ebersole, Glover Teixeira, and Dave Menne.  What do you attribute your early success to?

EH: My early success was due to no fear and a nothing to lose attitude.  All I did was train, with not too many responsibilities.  Not to mention that we had the toughest team in the country at the time - Team Quest!

JB: You have had some legendary training partners at Team Quest.  How did you first get involved with the team and who from the team were the most essential in helping you develop as a fighter?

EH: We had a great squad in Portland back then.  So many guys came through there.  I was training with champions from the beginning of my career.  A friend of mine went and signed up when they opened up to the public.  I followed.  Randy, Robert Follis, and Leben were huge helps, just to name a few.

JB: You entered the UFC via the infamous third season of The Ultimate Fighter.  It was clear at the time, and I have heard you reference in interviews since, that you did not feel particularly lucky to have been part of Team Shamrock.  Nevertheless, what were some of the highlights of the TUF experience for you?

EH: Being on the show was a good experience.  I learned a lot about myself and got a lot of exposure coming into the UFC.  That was both good and bad.  I was a young broke kid who was instantly handed some good money and a little fame.  I went a little crazy for a few years.  LOL!  But those were great life lessons!

JB: You have an above .500 record while under contract for the UFC during the past 6 and 1/2 years. What UFC performances have been your most satisfying and are there any losses that you are particularly interested in avenging?

EH: Well, I'm 9-5, including my wins on the TUF show in the UFC.  The Tim Credeur fight was great for me.  I had been out nearly two years, and to come in and win like that was great for my confidence, man.  I want to avenge all my losses.  I’d love another shot at Belcher.  He's been doing great.

JB: The middleweight division of the UFC continues to be very deep.  Who are some of the fighters that you would like to be matched up with and who are the fighters that you respect the most in your division?

EH: Man, I'd like to fight Larkin, Belcher, Carmont, Bisping, the list goes on.  I respect lots of guys, fear none!  Ha!  LOL!  Actually, there are some scary SOB's out there!

JB: You have been a father for a few years now.  How has that impacted your training and goals as a fighter?

EH: My twins are five now!  It's going fast.  This is a fun age.  They’re at my gym with me all the time.  My son does our kids’ program.  It's great.  He's a natural.  My daughter wants nothing to do with it, for now!  I have the pressure of being responsible for my family now.  I have more to train and fight for than ever!

JB: What do you want to accomplish during the remainder of your fighting career and what are your plans for the future outside of fighting?

EH: Realistically, I want to continue competing at the highest level long-term.  I still want to fight for the title, you know?  I have my gym.  I will always coach and be a part of MMA.  I would like to get into commentating.  I’ve also done a little acting and stunt work.  That would be fun too!  We’ll see!

JB: Last question, Ed, and thank you so much for taking the time to do this.  What does it mean to you to be a fighter and how much do you enjoy it?

EH: It means a lot, especially since I’ve been around before it hit the mainstream.  It has been great to grow with the sport, you know?  It’s an amazing thing to be a part of, and I wouldn't change it.  There are ups and downs, the highest of highs and lowest of lows.  I guess it suits me well.  I’ve always been an adrenaline seeker.

I want to thank my fans!

Thank you so much for reading and please follow @EdHermanufc and @jackjohnbrown on Twitter.

You should also check out more about Ed on ed-herman.com/ and Facebook.com.

And go to on Facebook for links to all of Jack’s past interviews and blogs.

Previous interviews on the UG:
Phil Baroni
Bruce Buffer
Daron Cruickshank
Marcus Davis
Mike DolceDiet

Dan Hardy

Bec Hyatt
Julie Kedzie
Dany Lauzon
Joe Lauzon
Tom Lawlor
Chris Leben
Matt Lindland
War Machine
Rose Namajunas
Vanessa Porto
Joe Proctor
Bobby Razak
Bas Rutten

Tarec Saffiedine
Jimmy Smith
James Thompson

Thank you to @KirikJenness  for @theUG.

3/22/13 3:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hammerfister
422 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who's the best fight for the UFC to give Ed next? Phone Post
3/22/13 3:52 PM
TheMessiah
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would like to see him fight a guy in the top 10. Maybe Tim Boetsch or Stann if he comes back to 185. Phone Post
3/22/13 3:57 PM
Hammerfister
422 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stann is a good one! Phone Post
3/22/13 4:04 PM
TheMessiah

Forgot he lost to Souza. He may need a guy right outside of top ten. Phone Post
3/22/13 4:06 PM
Hammerfister

Anyone coming off a loss who's top twenty? Lombard? Loser of Bisping vs. Belcher? Phone Post
3/22/13 4:07 PM
Hammerfister

If he didn't train with Leben, that would be...! Phone Post
3/22/13 4:26 PM
Hammerfister

Loser of carmont vs. larkin? Phone Post
3/22/13 4:28 PM
TheMessiah

Hammerfister - Loser of carmont vs. larkin? Phone Post
I agree with this or the winner Phone Post
3/22/13 7:15 PM
JimmersonzGlove
575 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFC Veteran - Warrior
3/22/13 8:07 PM
stonepony

He beat Glover Teixeira? Damn... Ed is one of my favorite fighters to watch. The guy is tough as nails. Remember Maia sitting on his head, with his arm trapped, choking him out with a triangle while punching him in the face over and over? Another fighter would have tapped. He blew out his knee against Aaron Simpson, and tried to keep fighting.
3/22/13 11:27 PM
stonepony

I wonder how many times he has heard "Paging mr.Herman".
3/23/13 12:23 PM
Hammerfister

Top ten toughest redhead?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.