UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> VADA offers to oversee UFC drug testing for free

3/22/13 3:36 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1173 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

I reached out to Dr. Margaret Goodman of the Voluntary Anti Doping Agencey earlier today and asked if the UFC has asked for any assistance from VADA. Dr. Goodman provided the following statement:

On 2/16/13, VADA sent a proposal to the UFC addressed to Lorenzo, Dana and Frank that VADA would help them set up a state-of-the art PED program with unannounced random testing for blood and urine. We indicated that there would be no adminsitrative charges at least for the first year. This would include education courses. We would use a WADA-accredited lab, certified doping collection officers and the results would go to the fighter, the UFC, the ABC/the official MMA record-keeper for the ABC, and the commission where the fighter held a license. I believe the UFC would save money, improve public confidence that fighters are competing clean, injuries would be less with fighters competing less on PEDs, and overall safety would improve. We also mentioned that although VADA no longer has THC in our testing panel, we would include it at their request. The testing would include EPO, hGH, CIR. To date, we have had no response, but we remain happy to discuss.

In short, this means that the UFC would have no fees to pay for this drug testing other than collection fees and the testing panel -- again, only from WADA-accredited labs. The actual program would be overseen and administered by VADA along with the education portion. So, VADA would basically make no money off of the UFC as they don't own or run the WADA-accredited labs that would receive the collection/testing panel fees.

read entire article...

3/22/13 3:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
vaginal tear
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As long as they aren't testing for weed have at it. Phone Post
3/22/13 3:37 PM
MentaL
528 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thrash Athletics, CEO

Bring it on but I'm sure a lot of people would get 'injured'. 

3/22/13 3:40 PM
Rogans secret stash
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd like to see it happen. Lets see who is really on peds and how it affects performances going forward. Phone Post
3/22/13 3:42 PM
xsrg95
310 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

awesome

3/22/13 3:42 PM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not really free. Phone Post
3/22/13 3:49 PM
AceAtGSU
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"We indicated that there would be no adminsitrative charges at least for the first year."

Brilliant, because even if there aren't hidden charges in that first year, which there probably area, it would be extremely lucrative for them in the future.

No such thing as a free lunch, and I am sure if they get rejected people will try and use it to say the UFC does not want to stop doping.
3/22/13 3:53 PM
Proud_Daddy_2_Olivia
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The introduction of standard CIR testing would cause shock waves across the UFC in my opinion.

While I'm sure that Zuffa will do everything in their power to remove PED's from the UFC, they have to be concerned about the potential for positive tests to increase dramatically if this method of testing is implemented. Other than Lavar Johnson's CIR test following his initial positive test, I have not heard of this being used yet in the UFC or MMA as a whole.
3/22/13 3:54 PM
fasthandssam
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AceAtGSU - "We indicated that there would be no adminsitrative charges at least for the first year."

Brilliant, because even if there aren't hidden charges in that first year, which there probably area, it would be extremely lucrative for them in the future.

No such thing as a free lunch, and I am sure if they get rejected people will try and use it to say the UFC does not want to stop doping.

Yup.

Plus, I don't think that "administrative charges" would make up the bulk of fees anyways. What about the cost of testing itself? The lab-work cannot possibly be free.
3/22/13 3:57 PM
Condit's Face Broke My Hand
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hmmmmm

3/22/13 3:58 PM
PrestigeWorldwide
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MentaL -

Bring it on but I'm sure a lot of people would get 'injured'. 

. Phone Post
3/22/13 4:38 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

Lol, @ for the first year at least. Phone Post
3/22/13 5:05 PM
Hikikomori
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"yes, they should do it for free" - mma tard

cyril jeff wont stand for this!

vada is da debil!
3/22/13 5:51 PM
grkblood

Joe Show Radio, janitor

So why hasn't the UFC taken this offer up yet?

3/22/13 5:58 PM
KZTT_W85
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - Lol, @ for the first year at least. Phone Post
This Phone Post
3/22/13 6:06 PM
damane08
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AceAtGSU - "We indicated that there would be no adminsitrative charges at least for the first year."

This is exactly what'll happen.
3/22/13 6:10 PM
Humphrey

Edited: 03/22/13 6:10 PM
There isn't a single reason for the UFC to consider this. The commission handles testing, there's no responsibility on the UFC for it, and they have no reason to do it.

If VADA wants in, go offer the commissions the service. not the org.
3/22/13 6:15 PM
IIAces

Humphrey - There isn't a single reason for the UFC to consider this. The commission handles testing, there's no responsibility on the UFC for it, and they have no reason to do it.

This!!! Phone Post
3/22/13 6:39 PM
UGCTT_SidRival
546 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So what's the real story here? Phone Post
3/22/13 6:49 PM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom
Hikikomori - "yes, they should do it for free" - mma tard

cyril jeff wont stand for this!

vada is da debil!

3/22/13 7:08 PM
JimmersonzGlove
532 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How much would year 2 cost?
3/22/13 7:08 PM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Humphrey - There isn't a single reason for the UFC to consider this. The commission handles testing, there's no responsibility on the UFC for it, and they have no reason to do it.

3/22/13 7:46 PM
Cyril Jeff

RobinHood -  Why is UFC having to have VADA testing why not other bigger US Sports? Phone Post

that's a fantastic question, I would imagine it has to do with Dr. Goodman's history/relationship with the NVAC, and CombatSports in general.

what I can't figure is how Mr. Victor Conte fits into VADA's future/agenda...

3/22/13 8:39 PM
DoomFarmer

VADA really needs to quit trying to get in the way of my enjoyment of fights.
3/22/13 8:48 PM
Chris27

First its not free, its a year free which means they would want some sort of multi year contract. Free for a year but hte next 4 UFC has to pay.

VADA wants to promote their org so they need a big time sporting company to sign on with them so getting a deal with teh UFC helps them. They put it out to the public free testing to try and shame the UFC into taking the deal.

If you were a fly on the wall in a meeting with Lorenzo/Dana they would probably say they want a completely clean sport but doing this would hurt their business and they dont want that.

For example, say Reem vs Cain was happening, you spend millions promoting it, Primetime is filming, countdown done, posters, commercials, tickets sold out but a month out VADA comes with a random test. Reem fails and the fight is out. UFC loses money, its that simple.

Now a guy pops the UFC sold tickets, they sold PPV, people watched on TV, if a guy like Diaz fails a test they already got their 4 mill gate and 800k PPV buys. ITs a different story when tests screw fights before they happen.

I know the counter will be take a short term hit but once everyone knows they are doing random blood testing people will stop using. That might be true but the UFC had a bad 2012, things are going good with FOx/FX, ratings, PPV numbers, non injuries etc. THey dont want to screw fights up.

AC test, the UFC wants to hide behind that, basically they are saying you know exactly when you will be tested, please show up clean and dont fuck up.

So sure they would like it if everyone were clean but right now they can say AC test guys, they dont want to say AC arent doing their jobs which is why we are going with VADA and they dont want to screw up fights before they happen.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.