UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Ordered Starting Strength

3/22/13 6:52 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Darb
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have heard tonnes about this book but never bothered to look into it. Had a look at a co-workers copy and decided that I need it. It goes into such detail on how to do the big lifts properly. Even at a glance I realized that there are more than a couple of things wrong with my form. Looking forward to getting my copy and learning how to do things a little bit better.

I am thinking I might lay off the 5/3/1 program for awhile too and give a shot at the programming in SS.
3/22/13 8:10 PM
kyle47129
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My only concern with the program is that most people can't power Clean correctly. It's a hard lift, especially without proper coaching. Phone Post
3/22/13 10:27 PM
alley
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/22/13 10:30 PM
Rip is obsessed with the low bar back squat, and only really explains that version in the explanations. I tried working low bar for about 3 months, but found it very hard on my shoulders (flexibility issue, and i'm pretty flexible). It became so bad that it was distracting me during my lifts. I just reverted to high bar. Since then, I found some writings by Glen Pendlay that basically stated that the high bar / low bar debate is really unnecessary, and that Rip is being too dogmatic about low bar.

Great book, though.
3/23/13 11:30 AM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/23/13 11:31 AM
Thought this might be helpful.

Stance width and bar load effects on leg muscle activity during the squat.

http://www.castonline.ilstu.edu/McCaw/HPR482/EMGREAD_files/4540%20McCaw%20and%20Melrose%20squat%20EMG.pdf
3/23/13 11:39 AM
None So Blind
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/23/13 11:39 AM
The PC is indeed a tough lift to learn on your own. Might I suggest you look into Rip's DVD, it's only $10-15 or so, covers the form and tons of common mistakes.

However - since Rip made the DVD, he has changed how he says the press should be done, so go to his site and check out this vid for the newer version (keep in mind it omits a bunch of details that didn't change from the previous version, so the DVD is still useful in that regard):

http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/platform_learning_to_press_2.0
3/23/13 1:05 PM
Eggmachine
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like that way of doing the press. In the past when I'd do it that way I felt like I was doing it wrong. It feels more natural to me that way.
3/24/13 4:59 AM
banco
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kyle47129 -  My only concern with the program is that most people can't power Clean correctly. It's a hard lift, especially without proper coaching. Phone Post

A lot of people sub barbell rows for the pc.
3/25/13 8:28 PM
Blunderhooks
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

alley - Rip is obsessed with the low bar back squat, and only really explains that version in the explanations. I tried working low bar for about 3 months, but found it very hard on my shoulders (flexibility issue, and i'm pretty flexible). It became so bad that it was distracting me during my lifts. I just reverted to high bar. Since then, I found some writings by Glen Pendlay that basically stated that the high bar / low bar debate is really unnecessary, and that Rip is being too dogmatic about low bar.

Great book, though.
I found low bar squat workes much better for me. I immediately broke through a a plateau when I switched after carefully reading the squat chapter.

That said, I suspect it's all down to the individual and it's worth trying both.

One problem I have is pain in the inner elbows where the biceps insert. I read that is a problem with low bar squats which is less common with high bar. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.