UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Olympic boxing drops headgear, adds 10 pt must

3/24/13 1:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PoundforPound
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with Kirik. From my personal experience headgear is good for preventing cuts and damage from headbutts. But aside from that I'm glad it's gone.

Now we can get the amateurs back to the way they used to be for the majority of their existence. Headgear is a relatively recent development that didn't come about until the 1980s.

The scoring can still be a problem though so they should make more of an effort to create competent judges and root out corruption.
3/24/13 5:45 PM
wasssp
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tiger07 - 
Batarnaque - Kinda hard for me to believe the headgear doesn't help mitigate brain damage and concussions, but overall, this is fantastic news.

It actually doesn't. It helps mitigate cuts, but that's it. If anything, it can enhance a concussive event.

One, it makes for a bigger target, and doesn't actually prevent the brain from rattling.

Two,it can provide extra torsion when the gllove makes contact with it, serving to snap the head further. This can be especially evident at the start of fights, when both opponents are dry.

I think it's agreat decision.

Boy, u crazy as hell. If that's the case, then they should make it optional. And then watch how few boxers choose to go w/out.

That's like saying that there's no evidence that cups (protective testicle gear) show a reduction in nut jarrings. It's assumed.
3/24/13 5:46 PM
buddie
317 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PoundforPound - I agree with Kirik. From my personal experience headgear is good for preventing cuts and damage from headbutts. But aside from that I'm glad it's gone.

Now we can get the amateurs back to the way they used to be for the majority of their existence. Headgear is a relatively recent development that didn't come about until the 1980s.

The scoring can still be a problem though so they should make more of an effort to create competent judges and root out corruption.

Scoring isn't the problem and neither is the scoring system. Its not even a matter of competence, its straight out corruption. It was proven in the last Olympics and that's not conjecture, there is hard evidence of blatant attempts to influence judges by some countries.
3/24/13 5:53 PM
buddie
317 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wasssp - 
tiger07 - 
Batarnaque - Kinda hard for me to believe the headgear doesn't help mitigate brain damage and concussions, but overall, this is fantastic news.

It actually doesn't. It helps mitigate cuts, but that's it. If anything, it can enhance a concussive event.

One, it makes for a bigger target, and doesn't actually prevent the brain from rattling.

Two,it can provide extra torsion when the gllove makes contact with it, serving to snap the head further. This can be especially evident at the start of fights, when both opponents are dry.

I think it's agreat decision.

Boy, u crazy as hell. If that's the case, then they should make it optional. And then watch how few boxers choose to go w/out.

That's like saying that there's no evidence that cups (protective testicle gear) show a reduction in nut jarrings. It's assumed.

Anyone who has boxed and ended up looking through the earhole of the headgear would opt to go without it. That's a bad, bad moment - getting nailed and then being blind in front of a guy who wants to take your head off.

Vision is so important in boxing and I think it clearly contributes to the amount of punches fighters take because it obstructs vision no matter how well it fits. Its enough to fight my opponent, I hate fighting my headgear too.

Headgear is for sparring, not for fights. Headgear was just something to make people feel better about boxing through legislating IMO. IIRC there were extensive studies done on headgear in boxing done in the 90's. They concluded that the trauma was spread around the head more, but not reduced.
3/24/13 6:57 PM
hackett
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Incorrect. Three studies have been cited on this thread, all described headgear as improving safety.
3/24/13 7:14 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The computer scoring system was a joke really.
3/24/13 7:15 PM
GSPsShadyHandWraps
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0033606

While force development studies show headgear improves safety, actual studies of amature boxers still show brain damage similar to professional boxing

The problem with the force development studies is that they exclude the human factor. Yes a gloved punch to a bare head is more damaging but being able to see that punch and avoiding it or rolling with it is going to be much less damaging than have it land on a padded head

3/24/13 9:03 PM
awesomestprime
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matrixkick - 
Wish it would have been implemented a long time ago. Phone Post

Worst decision in the history of boxing.....

There is no argument to the contrary.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.