UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Body by Science

3/23/13 8:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
WEB
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

anyone follow this?

paleo diet and only working out once a week.
3/23/13 8:57 PM
Taku
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WEB,

This approach to strength training can be effective in some cases. It requires extremely hard work to be effective.

I use this style of training with some of my clients and it works well in those cases.

TAKU

3/23/13 9:00 PM
WEB
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Taku, what do you think about the 5x5 plan?

workout a

squats
bench
bent rows

workout b
squats
overhead press
deadlifts

you alternate between workouts a and b

monday, wed, friday
3/24/13 12:18 AM
gusto
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i prefer body by jake
3/24/13 4:12 AM
Taku
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey WEB,

The 5x5 systems have been around forever. They can, and do work when used properly. That being said, in my experience there is absolutely nothing special about the 5x5 format. Just about any simple system of progressive resistance exercise may produce results when implemented effectively.

I personally prefer single set training protocols. Ultimately the best program for you is the one you like and will stick with over time.

TAKU

P,S, Check out my blog for tons of good info on evidence based exercise protocols.  

3/24/13 8:30 AM
cdueck
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WEB - anyone follow this?

paleo diet and only working out once a week.

I followed the workout for a few months. I loved it but it was extremely hard to do without a partner or coach there talking through the pain of the set. On the days when my focus was there it was great but as I started to get a little heavier and work harder the mental focus needed grew as well. 

3/24/13 11:20 AM
Wiggy
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At the risk of sounding uninformed...whta's "Body by Science"?

Wiggy - http://workingclassfitness.com/newsletter

3/24/13 2:37 PM
cdueck
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's a workout philosophy by Doug Mcguff. He promotes one super slow set to failure on 5 exercises once a week. I enojoyed how I felt doing it but I never stuck with it long enough to decide if my strength improved or not.

3/24/13 3:40 PM
WEB

great blog

i like that 8 x 8 program too.
3/24/13 7:02 PM
Taku

Hey Wiggy,

Check out BBS web-site. BBS approach is bascially an off-shoot of the H.I.T. style training.

WEB,

Thanks brother. Yes, the Double Eight plan is a very good one.

TAKU

3/24/13 10:37 PM
acm5060
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just started doing this as well upon recommendation of Taku. I gotta say, so far I like it. I feel like I'm really working my muscles, but without risking injury like when I would powerlift or oly lift. Plus, it doesn't eat up your life like all bb programs.

However, I do feel like a bit of a p*ssy just doing machines for one set. That's just ego getting in the way though.

I think the biggest hurdle is really getting comfortable with the super slow reps. There's a lot to learn there to make sure you're really maxing your gains. So far so good for me. Plus the book offers overwhelming evidence for its recommendations. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.