UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Canadian Loophole?

3/24/13 12:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
knicksfan3232
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This video was posted on Youtube by Nick Diaz two days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywEsvxb1oP8&feature=player_embedded

Here is a transcript of what is says...

Mersh: "They're going to allow you and Georges to have an extra hour, just in case somebody doesn't make it. But the good news is, they don't count the decimal. If you're 170.2 it's 170. If it's 170.9. it's 170."

Team Diaz: "Why didn't we know that before?"

Mersh: "Should be fine, hopefully, other than that. Just so you guys are in the loop, if there's ..."

Team Diaz: "Why didn't you tell us that yesterday?"

Mersh: "Well, no, it's just something to keep in mind. That's kind of an off the record type of thing. But keep that in mind. As long as he's under 171, we should be good. But, there is a time period afterwards, for you and Georges only. All the other fighters have to make it the first time. Just letting you guys be in the loop, okay? Good luck!"

Team Diaz: "That's a loophole... A Canadian loophole."

Carolos Condit claims he was not told this before his title fight with GSP in Montreal.

Anyone else think the UFC was trying to cover up for GSP not making weight??
3/24/13 12:56 PM
grimer
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess you missed the multiple other threads on this.
3/24/13 12:57 PM
EvilMaster

It's all good, no conspiracy here, just let it go.

3/24/13 1:06 PM
brigsy
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Holy thread resurgence. Phone Post
3/24/13 1:24 PM
SoupCan
407 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why is this such a big topic?

It's contradicting in itself to imply that GSP received some sort of special treatment when nick Diaz received far more... A title fight coming off a loss, missing the open workout, admitting to using a ban substance (regardless of your opinion on it, currently it is banned) Phone Post
3/24/13 1:26 PM
IronShriek

If you're saying .9 pounds is nothing you've never cut weight.

This is a huge deal.

Diaz was cheated out of the fight he contracted to have. The UFC can make amends only by giving him the re-match he's entitled to. And I hear he's already taking steps to ensure Georges can't take him down and hold him. Georges won't be able to avoid the fight again this time. Phone Post
3/24/13 1:28 PM
Zz_JC_zZ

^lol Phone Post
3/24/13 1:30 PM
SoupCan
407 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IronShriek - If you're saying .9 pounds is nothing you've never cut weight.

This is a huge deal.

Diaz was cheated out of the fight he contracted to have. The UFC can make amends only by giving him the re-match he's entitled to. And I hear he's already taking steps to ensure Georges can't take him down and hold him. Georges won't be able to avoid the fight again this time. Phone Post
Sarcasm detected Phone Post
3/24/13 1:34 PM
IronShriek

SoupCan -

This is a huge deal.

Nope. Phone Post
3/24/13 1:36 PM
Zz_JC_zZ

^then I stand by my lol Phone Post
3/24/13 1:45 PM
SoupCan

IronShriek -
SoupCan -

This is a huge deal.

Nope. Phone Post
Detected again

Nick didn't do anything in that fight, when it was standing and he had a chance to capitalize he did the same as most of GSP's opponents they didn't attack. Nick stood there with his hands by his sides, on the ground GSP hardly held him down. Nick again decided its best to do nothing, he turtled and didn't throw up sub after sub like so many of his hardcore fans implied he would.

As far as the .9 lbs, I've cut weight several times but fortunately it's never come down to ounces being a deciding factor if I've made it or not... And who really knows how it works in the UFC, when they say something like 170.5 are they implying it as a half pound or 5 ounces?

Regardless implying that it had any kind of factor in the fight is foolish Phone Post
3/24/13 1:48 PM
JOESONDO
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I bet that cheater GSP was a full .9 over! If not for that enormous weight advantage he would have gotten his ass kicked! Phone Post
3/24/13 1:53 PM
IronShriek

GSP was likely close to the .9 pound over. Otherwise they would have made the last minute rule-change to "round to the nearest pound, so anything up to .4 over counts as 170". Still would have been BS, but slightly less ridiculous than allowing almost a full pound in a title fight. Which is what happened. Phone Post
3/24/13 1:58 PM
SoupCan

IronShriek - GSP was likely close to the .9 pound over. Otherwise they would have made the last minute rule-change to "round to the nearest pound, so anything up to .4 over counts as 170". Still would have been BS, but slightly less ridiculous than allowing almost a full pound in a title fight. Which is what happened. Phone Post
If it was .9 they are talking ounces... That's .1 over half... Your thinking probably much like nicks teams of NASA scientists that .9 means he's .1 away from being a pound over which he wasn't. Phone Post
3/24/13 2:01 PM
6ULDV8

Jake Shields posted that GSP's wraps looked funny and got flamed for 30 pages.

I love GSP to death, but if I were looking out for Nick and not allowed to question the wraps right before they were about to fight and nothing was happening about it, I might just make a thread on the UG too.

Did you see the pic of his wraps?

With the half golf balls wound into the bottom, I'd say Jake had cause for complaint.

They also took the news very, very well.  I'd have been pissed if I'd already cut.

3/24/13 2:09 PM
Festus
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SoupCan -
IronShriek - GSP was likely close to the .9 pound over. Otherwise they would have made the last minute rule-change to "round to the nearest pound, so anything up to .4 over counts as 170". Still would have been BS, but slightly less ridiculous than allowing almost a full pound in a title fight. Which is what happened. Phone Post
If it was .9 they are talking ounces... That's .1 over half... Your thinking probably much like nicks teams of NASA scientists that .9 means he's .1 away from being a pound over which he wasn't. Phone Post
I dont think so. 170.9 is .1 from being the lb over. It doesnt read as 170 lbs 9 ozs Phone Post
3/24/13 2:12 PM
SoupCan

Video is retarded to say the least...

Nate Diaz come into a title fight a pound over and they claim they didn't know he want allowed the pound and now the people in his corner know everything there is to know about it now?

What's especially screwball in this situation is nicks manager isn't anywhere to be seen, it funny how this is all getting turned around to be beneficial towards GSP when they were probably doing it to benefit nick, considering his brothers weight issue last fight Phone Post
3/24/13 2:16 PM
SoupCan

Festus -
SoupCan -
I dont think so. 170.9 is .1 from being the lb over. It doesnt read as 170 lbs 9 ozs Phone Post
Well it looks to be a digital scale so it most likely read in ounces, my scale here reads in ounces up to .9 and then it rounds to the higher pound... So that is what I figure is happening

So anything over 170.9 is 171... They were most likely trying to clarify this with nick so he wouldn't make a situation out of it and then he indeed is making a situation out of it Phone Post
3/24/13 4:04 PM
IronShriek

6ULDV8 -

Jake Shields posted that GSP's wraps looked funny and got flamed for 30 pages.

I love GSP to death, but if I were looking out for Nick and not allowed to question the wraps right before they were about to fight and nothing was happening about it, I might just make a thread on the UG too.

Did you see the pic of his wraps?

With the half golf balls wound into the bottom, I'd say Jake had cause for complaint.

They also took the news very, very well.  I'd have been pissed if I'd already cut.

Video is down again due to copyright claim by Zuffa LLC Phone Post
3/24/13 4:39 PM
6ULDV8

Yep, the video has been wiped.

It was a rep from Zuffa saying to Diaz and team

"Just so we understand each other 170-170.9 is 170.  OK?  Great.  Good luck!"

Maybe someone else can find it.

3/24/13 5:00 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

photo dabeatlion_zps06856eb5.gif

3/24/13 5:22 PM
ShowtimeWreckedMyLeever

I have an idea, let's strip the belt from gsp and let him pound Diaz for another 25min. Sounds good to me Phone Post
3/24/13 5:33 PM
slamming

This is a huge deal.

LOL go crawl back under the rock you came from. Phone Post
3/24/13 5:44 PM
GIBB0
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This has already been explained.

The guy was saying that if the other fighters weigh in over weight they'll announce it as over weight.

If GSP/Diaz weigh in over weight they'll announce it as 170 and then they'll have an hour to cut the weight, but only if it's under 171.

They just didn't want any messing around at the weigh in with the big crowd and the volatility of the matchup.

They are allowed the hour generally, see Nate's last fight. Phone Post
3/24/13 5:52 PM
SoupCan

GIBB0 - This has already been explained.

The guy was saying that if the other fighters weigh in over weight they'll announce it as over weight.

If GSP/Diaz weigh in over weight they'll announce it as 170 and then they'll have an hour to cut the weight, but only if it's under 171.

They just didn't want any messing around at the weigh in with the big crowd and the volatility of the matchup.

They are allowed the hour generally, see Nate's last fight. Phone Post
But it had a direct impact on the fight...

Just like the canadian air made Nick sleepy so he slept late... The UFC didn't get him there till midnight.... Water is wet... Takedowns.... Elbows.... Ahhhhhhh Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.