UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> When it comes to ELITE level Kickboxing (ie: K-1)

3/24/13 4:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tilla
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In your opinion...

How tough of a sport is it?
How does it rank in terms of toughness against other fighting sports?
How highly do you rate Kickboxers, at that level, as fighters?
3/24/13 4:46 PM
Darth_Vladar
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The damage they sustain is unparalleled in my opinion. Especially as they are not keen on awarding more points to defensive fighting. Them boys go toe to toe and are generally generating the hardest kicks and knees, they get fucked up. Phone Post
3/24/13 4:54 PM
man meets fate

You take just a couple leg kicks from a killer like ghita you can't walk for weeks. Kickboxing is definitely more hard on the body than mma is
3/24/13 4:57 PM
Bootsy Collins
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Incredibly hard. Also, don't forget the penchant for multiple fights in one night the sport has.

Out of the two I (decidedly not elite level btw) found mma more physically draining in general but K1/kickboxing always left me more battered and bruised.
3/24/13 4:57 PM
EvilMaster

K-1 is barely a shadow of what it used to be.
3/24/13 5:10 PM
dunchurrn
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK5SrBGQgtY

Ghita fought this entire fight with a torn groin. Saki continued after this fight with a broken rib and a broken arm.

More important than how tough it is in the ring is the training needed to get to that level. One of the unappreciated qualities that separates the elite level guys from the very good guys is leg conditioning. Ghita's an extreme example, but whenever he fights someone without elite level leg conditioning he eats them alive within minutes.
3/24/13 5:17 PM
shaqitup
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Scary as shit son. Especially the big guys.

Their kicks are scary as shit, and they land them consistently throughout the fight on each others ribs, thighs etc.

3/24/13 5:19 PM
Tilla

Darth_Vladar -  The damage they sustain is unparalleled in my opinion. Especially as they are not keen on awarding more points to defensive fighting. Them boys go toe to toe and are generally generating the hardest kicks and knees, they get fucked up. Phone Post

100% Agreed.
3/24/13 5:23 PM
john joe
401 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only, web/editorial
i was at Glory 5 in London last night

Jordan Watson had a fucking WAR with Steve Moxon but was largely taking punches (moxon fights like zambidis) and throwing a lot of kicks as befits his

when i saw him in the bar later, he was limping like fuck. His legs were in bits from kicking Moxon so hard so many times. Even when you win, you get fucked up haha

If you havent seen how Steve Wakeling takes Eddie Walker out, you need to look that up asap. That was absolute true world-class striking - he finished him with leg kicks and it was fucking vicious, even the crowd were begging for mercy

GLORY 5 rocked; download it

from a legal stream *cough*
3/24/13 5:35 PM
john joe
401 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only, web/editorial
^^ true

Dustin Jacoby went 6-0 in MMA then 0-2 in the UFC, won a local regional kickboxing tournament in the US to get a fight on GLORY 5 and got took out in R1 by a Dutch journeyman - (albeit much, much more experienced at 36-3 vs 3-0 in pro KB)

the speed, precision and power of the pro kickboxers is fucking insane. The fight with Kraus and Stevelmans last night was superb as well, violence ballet
3/24/13 5:36 PM
Tilla

john joe - i was at Glory 5 in London last night

Jordan Watson had a fucking WAR with Steve Moxon but was largely taking punches (moxon fights like zambidis) and throwing a lot of kicks as befits his

when i saw him in the bar later, he was limping like fuck. His legs were in bits from kicking Moxon so hard so many times. Even when you win, you get fucked up haha

If you havent seen how Steve Wakeling takes Eddie Walker out, you need to look that up asap. That was absolute true world-class striking - he finished him with leg kicks and it was fucking vicious, even the crowd were begging for mercy

GLORY 5 rocked; download it

from a legal stream *cough*

Are there any more plans for future Glory events in London? I forgot all about it..

3/24/13 5:38 PM
Tilla

Hoosts leg kicks on Sapp were INSANE. That was just pure BONE on MEAT. Hoost is a bad man.
3/25/13 4:42 AM
Darth_Vladar
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dunchurrn - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK5SrBGQgtY

Ghita fought this entire fight with a torn groin. Saki continued after this fight with a broken rib and a broken arm.

More important than how tough it is in the ring is the training needed to get to that level. One of the unappreciated qualities that separates the elite level guys from the very good guys is leg conditioning. Ghita's an extreme example, but whenever he fights someone without elite level leg conditioning he eats them alive within minutes.

Perfect example of leg conditioning there, VTFU. Daniel Ghita eats people alive even at the top level, I can imagine it is a scary prospect going in there knowing they are coming, but not really being able to stop them.
3/25/13 5:54 AM
EckY
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The reason Hunt and CroCop went to MMA is because it was easier on their bodies.
3/25/13 6:05 AM
GSPsShadyHandWraps
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Until you have gone 3 rounds with someone battering your body, you cant even comprehend how tough it is. If you have, now multiply that pain with 1000 and imagine doing it 3 times the same night.

With that said the HW division has had a poor talentpool for a few years now other than a handfull of names. The lighter divisions however are insanely competitive even if they lack the power
3/25/13 6:46 AM
tiger07
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Immensely tough.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.