UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> beating on hipsters at bjj

3/25/13 1:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Salokcin69
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChaosOverkill -

Stop trolling Hexrei, I live in Montreal which is Canadian Hipster central and they most certainly do exist. I sit in class next to a guy dressed like Jacques Cousteau who speaks in comic book maxims for only the purposes of being seen as Ironic.

If there weren't so many of them he would have a crowd of people dying of laughter behind him at all times.

This. They're kinda gay though. Phone Post
3/25/13 2:16 PM
ChaosOverkill
451 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/25/13 2:18 PM
HexRei - 
ChaosOverkill - 

Stop trolling Hexrei, I live in Montreal which is Canadian Hipster central and they most certainly do exist. I sit in class next to a guy dressed like Jacques Cousteau who speaks in comic book maxims for only the purposes of being seen as Ironic.

If there weren't so many of them he would have a crowd of people dying of laughter behind him at all times.

I think you're just describing french people

Nope this is an English university in the English part of montreal. And it would be just labelling the different if they didn't outnumber all other subcultures now, they are not the marginalized group anymore they are the majority and festivals are built and marketed to them. I run events and a festival, anything that doesn't jive with their ironic expectations and they leave and go write a blog about how its not rad or some other long forgotten term. Hipsters do not dance unless its an ironically perceived piece of music, they stand in judgement of everything and accuse anything well liked by people not living vicariously through thrift shop fashion, as too mainstream while their festivals cost hundreds of dollars to see bands that are clones of each other and snort coke and drink a Pabst and strike a pose for vice magazine dos and donts section.
3/25/13 3:20 PM
SmileyNY1985
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CREason good fighters lose -

Typical BJJ bully mentality, that's why your kind is rapidly being replaced by true practicioners of MMA.

You're such a badass tough guy in your element crawling around like a crab, but how would you feel getting battered like Jim Lampley's wife in the standup portion of a fight?

Then you wonder why your instructors are forced to do business with guys like Lloyd Irvin to cut a profit, because douchebaggery is at the core of BJJ and it's kiling profits.

Crawling around like a crap seriously lmao!!!!! Phone Post
3/25/13 3:26 PM
HexRei

ChaosOverkill - 
HexRei - 
ChaosOverkill - 

Nope this is an English university in the English part of montreal. And it would be just labelling the different if they didn't outnumber all other subcultures now, they are not the marginalized group anymore they are the majority and festivals are built and marketed to them. I run events and a festival, anything that doesn't jive with their ironic expectations and they leave and go write a blog about how its not rad or some other long forgotten term. Hipsters do not dance unless its an ironically perceived piece of music, they stand in judgement of everything and accuse anything well liked by people not living vicariously through thrift shop fashion, as too mainstream while their festivals cost hundreds of dollars to see bands that are clones of each other and snort coke and drink a Pabst and strike a pose for vice magazine dos and donts section.

See, I don't think the people you are describing (who are just colloquially known as pretentious assholes) necessarily have anything to do with the people we are identifying as "hipsters" based on their clothing, hair (facial or otherwise) choice of drink, or venue of attendance.
3/25/13 3:37 PM
ChaosOverkill
451 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HexRei - 
ChaosOverkill - 
HexRei - 
ChaosOverkill - 

See, I don't think the people you are describing (who are just colloquially known as pretentious assholes) necessarily have anything to do with the people we are identifying as "hipsters" based on their clothing, hair (facial or otherwise) choice of drink, or venue of attendance.

Just because you want to deny their existence and the loads of media already written about this and the fact a lot of them consider the term hipster a badge of Ironic honour doesn't negate their existence you can keep trying thoough. One marking characteristic is their pretentiouness yes, but wearing clothing specifically from places shopped by all the same people that have been very much self-categorized as hipsters for almost ten years does indeed make them hipsters. You alone cannot change that.

3/25/13 3:39 PM
cheesesteak
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't wait till hipsters start ironically becoming like cheesey 90's bodybuilders with zumba pants all roided out and shit. That, i'd actually find funny.
3/25/13 3:43 PM
HexRei

Edited: 03/25/13 3:45 PM
ChaosOverkill - 
HexRei - 
ChaosOverkill - 
HexRei - 
ChaosOverkill - 

Just because you want to deny their existence and the loads of media already written about this and the fact a lot of them consider the term hipster a badge of Ironic honour doesn't negate their existence you can keep trying thoough. One marking characteristic is their pretentiouness yes, but wearing clothing specifically from places shopped by all the same people that have been very much self-categorized as hipsters for almost ten years does indeed make them hipsters. You alone cannot change that.

There are a handful of people out there who self-identify as a hipster I suppose. There are people who self-identify as unicorn furries, after all.

It doesn't mean they are the people being talked about here. All shopping at the same place? Ummm... but according to the hipster diagrams they wear a variety of clothing. It's so complicated.

lol @ "for almost ten years". So now what, you're a hipster historian?
3/25/13 3:52 PM
ChaosOverkill

HexRei - 
ChaosOverkill - 
HexRei - 
ChaosOverkill - 
HexRei - 
ChaosOverkill - 

There are a handful of people out there who self-identify as a hipster I suppose. There are people who self-identify as unicorn furries, after all.

It doesn't mean they are the people being talked about here. All shopping at the same place? Ummm... but according to the hipster diagrams they wear a variety of clothing. It's so complicated.

lol @ "for almost ten years". So now what, you're a hipster historian?

Pretty much yes, when you throw events you notice trends that happen. It started with Neon 90's fluorescents and bike courier hats with the brim turned up. Fedoras, ironic frames. 

American Apparel catered to it, Value Village for the more creative types, then the market expanded. Vice magazine drove most of the trends out of New York with Indie bands wearing what they promoted in their do's and don'ts section. France got in on the act and has always been a Bastion for Ironic trends. Ed Banger records made a huge push with the Skinny jeans in the later in the 2000's Justice, SebastiAn, Dj Mehdi etc.

3/25/13 3:56 PM
HexRei

don't drag vice into this.
3/25/13 3:56 PM
ChaosOverkill

Not to mention the 80's ones who think FLock of Seaguls andCorey Hart are awesome party time music, they have been around since the late 90's just sort of under the radar and not pushed by a particular magazine or fashion franchise.

And these are just the modern ones, the phenomenon started over half a century ago with people pretending they were in the 20's a 30's many decades later after the second world war.

3/25/13 3:58 PM
ausgepicht

HexRei - 
ausgepicht - 
HexRei - hipsters dont exist. no one says they're a hipster. its just what people call people who are different from them when they cant find another word to insult them with

You are 100% wrong in your logic and statement. They exist. Whether they call themselves hipsters or not is 100% irrelevant. 

no they don't. im in portland which is supposed to be hipster central. they dont exist.

Um. OK. 

3/25/13 3:58 PM
ChaosOverkill

Edited: 03/25/13 3:59 PM

HexRei - don't drag vice into this.

Why? Their travel stuff is great, their fashion stuff is hipster central. Some of the guys who do their exposes are straight up the biggest ones of all

Who would use a guy this awkward and awful at narrating to do an expose about a serious problem in a foreign land?

3/25/13 3:59 PM
HexRei

dude clearly your issue is a lot broader than anyone expected. you're slamming people's grandmas now.
3/25/13 3:59 PM
trobinson21

Is there a name for someone who spends their life talking about other people on the internet? Phone Post
3/25/13 4:00 PM
HexRei

ausgepicht - 
HexRei - 
ausgepicht - 
HexRei - hipsters dont exist. no one says they're a hipster. its just what people call people who are different from them when they cant find another word to insult them with

You are 100% wrong in your logic and statement. They exist. Whether they call themselves hipsters or not is 100% irrelevant. 

no they don't. im in portland which is supposed to be hipster central. they dont exist.

Um. OK. 

Get mad at hipsters...

use ancient 4chan meme image to prove point
ChaosOverkill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_(contemporary_subculture)

Note the original date of the subculture

HexRei

trobinson21 -  Is there a name for someone who spends their life talking about other people on the internet? Phone Post

UG'er
3/25/13 4:03 PM
KevinMcAllister
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CREason good fighters lose -

Typical BJJ bully mentality, that's why your kind is rapidly being replaced by true practicioners of MMA.

You're such a badass tough guy in your element crawling around like a crab, but how would you feel getting battered like Jim Lampley's wife in the standup portion of a fight?

Then you wonder why your instructors are forced to do business with guys like Lloyd Irvin to cut a profit, because douchebaggery is at the core of BJJ and it's kiling profits.

Ether status Phone Post
3/25/13 4:03 PM
Coranamo

Great thread. More on mid-20th century hipsterism please.
3/25/13 4:06 PM
bizsirker

Didn't read whole thread. But you OP, you are a bully. Why bash people who have the same interests as you? Do you think you are cool now? How old are you? Honestly, it's the most fun toying with assholes with a ego like yourself. I hope you enjoy the fact you peaked in life a long time ago. You will look forward to working for better people than you for the rest of you're shitty career. Phone Post
3/25/13 4:09 PM
ChaosOverkill

I've got my opinion on Hipsters, I've stated it, I have nothing more to say on the matter, thanks for the laughs. Others don't have the experiences I do with them or op does.

They are by far the most annoying subculture I have to deal with throwing events.

3/25/13 4:13 PM
cheesesteak
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bizsirker -  Didn't read whole thread. But you OP, you are a bully. Why bash people who have the same interests as you? Do you think you are cool now? How old are you? Honestly, it's the most fun toying with assholes with a ego like yourself. I hope you enjoy the fact you peaked in life a long time ago. You will look forward to working for better people than you for the rest of you're shitty career. Phone Post

This is you. 

3/25/13 4:17 PM
ausgepicht

HexRei - 
ausgepicht - 
HexRei - 
ausgepicht - 

Um. OK. 

Get mad at hipsters...

1. Ain't even mad.

2. Wasn't trying to prove a point.

It was just supposed to be a :/.

BTW, you just admitted Hipsters exist. BOOM! Headshot.

3/25/13 4:18 PM
cheesesteak

and am I a bully? If you read the whole thread I explained I don't literally mean "beating on"...Fact of the matter is that the hipsters I know are among the most intolerent bunch of people you'd ever meet...

They literally dress up in a way to make fun of people and shun anyone who are not like them. FACT
3/25/13 4:21 PM
HexRei

ausgepicht - 
HexRei - 
ausgepicht - 
HexRei - 
ausgepicht - 

Um. OK. 

Get mad at hipsters...

1. Ain't even mad.

2. Wasn't trying to prove a point.

It was just supposed to be a :/.

BTW, you just admitted Hipsters exist. BOOM! Headshot.

my hands are shakin, my hands are shakin, but im still shootin!

Anyway I don't think the current incarnation that most seem to be raging against really exists.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.