UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> ESPN piece on kid with Down syndrome training MMA

3/25/13 12:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
436 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/25/13 12:11 PM

Very inspiring.  He seems like a good guy.

3/25/13 12:12 PM
Bigbrockfanuk
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is fucking cool gave me goosebumps watching this. Inspirational Phone Post
3/25/13 12:50 PM
AnakinHelwani
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Please don't let The Onion see this.
3/25/13 1:08 PM
beanouno
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So inspiring. Phone Post
3/25/13 1:10 PM
Paka Ono
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great story about a great kid and family! Life is about pursuing your dream and not letting anyone or anything get in your war. His story should be an inspiration to everyone!

And bonus props to the kid dropping 40 lbs! If a kid with DS can get his ass to the gym and lose the weight, then anyone can.
3/25/13 1:12 PM
shortyjj
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This kid has more heart than I do. Bar none. I'm a pussy, and don't want to fight MMA. This kid is for real.
3/25/13 1:37 PM
Chris27

Vader03 -  Disappointed many are making fun of him. This is the kind of thing that mma has allowed him to escape from. I loved the piece. Very insprational Phone Post

This. Sadly its not like you couldnt see it coming the moment this thread was created, you knew people would make fun of him.

3/25/13 1:39 PM
Bootsy Collins
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not being disrespectful but with the front page news article on this all I could see was the pic of a white guy and the little blurb underneath saying 'Them need a superhero' & I was wondering why this white guy was speaking like a Haitian.
3/25/13 1:41 PM
UGCTT_warjimmiller
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I haven't seen the video, but I saw the preview on sports center. Who could agree to fight him? I dont think I could bring myself to do it Phone Post
3/25/13 1:45 PM
BrattMamley
833 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in for later thanks OP

3/25/13 5:10 PM
Royalt239

"he punched me so hard im retarded now"- G-money post fight interview.
3/25/13 5:19 PM
Sugarfoot
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great video! Thanks for sharing, truly inspirational how he is helping others with disabilities because "they need a hero". Great story, immd!

Also, anyone making fun of this kid may want to take a long look in the mirror. Phone Post
3/25/13 5:20 PM
notsobigmike
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Heartwarming story, although I'm not sure I'm 100% about a sanctioning body clearing him to fight.
3/25/13 5:27 PM
djones
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FreakDaddy - 
CREason good fighters lose - 
Vader03 -  Disappointed many are making fun of him. This is the kind of thing that mma has allowed him to escape from. I loved the piece. Very insprational Phone Post

agreed ppl are pathetic with no self esteem

Yep.....This is good stuff.......I also like the piece they recently had about the autistic kid playing basketball......I was crying like a baby when he hit that basket, especially after he was given the ball by the opposing team.......We need more good stories like this.......

We couldve shared a box of kleenex....

3/25/13 5:38 PM
Nonlinear

not fair to the other fighters imo... 

Dude looks like he could tear your house off its foundation.  How do you even compete with that?

3/25/13 5:41 PM
Tom Lawlor
390 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

not sure how I feel about this. 

As an adult, he has the right to make decisions about his own well being.

However, and this is without seeing him in training, no one should be stepping into the cage in a bout unless they are technically and physically capable of showing a skill level that is consistent with trained fighters at their level.

Great for him and I am very happy that he came out unscathed, however I can only imagine the backlash if there had been some sort of injury.

3/25/13 5:49 PM
The Professional
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great stuff in this thread! I'm a special education teacher at a high school here in Hawaii and this stuff really hits home. If you guys have a chance, watch this local tv spot that they shot on one of my student's with DS (sports related).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dc6gEVfacnk

This kid LOVES to wrestle and always asks me to wrestle during PE. I've been really considering starting to teach him Jits (I'm a Relson brown). His mom totally supports it. Thank you all for making yourselves more aware of individuals with special needs. Phone Post
3/25/13 10:00 PM
Stephen Eakin
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dusty in here. I have a niece with Downs, this story really hit close to home for me.
Props to G Money, and his Dad. I hope one day we can see Carliegh doing something she loves. Phone Post
3/25/13 10:21 PM
Jsteven
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glad CRE finally got that fight Phone Post
3/25/13 10:51 PM
D241

ChaosOverkill - 

better story than Fakes Fallopian

I can still say I've yet to click on a Fallon Fox thread.

Loved this thread though.

When he came forward and his opponent threw that 1st hard punch, within one second I was like, "OH NO", and as soon as I realized he took it like a man and was still coming forward, I was like, "FUCK YEAH".

Great story. And props for those who made tactful jokes like the guy above me.

3/25/13 10:59 PM
nomad1974
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From the story its clear the other fighter did not go 100%. It is even mentioned that he picked his spots, let G-Money do his thing, yet popped him a few times just to keep it as legit as possible.

Everybody involved came out as a winner IMO, great story
3/25/13 11:06 PM
D241

nomad1974 - From the story its clear the other fighter did not go 100%. It is even mentioned that he picked his spots, let G-Money do his thing, yet popped him a few times just to keep it as legit as possible.

I'm sure his opponent appreciates you clarifying that up.  I was thinking it was a legit draw and was thinking that was humbling for the non DS guy.

3/25/13 11:10 PM
OmgItsTheWams
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Was it a draw? Im guessing he lost from the highlight but both hands were raised because how can you not consider him a winner Phone Post
3/25/13 11:12 PM
glock4life
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
3/26/13 1:03 AM
cwcoogan
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

D241 - 
nomad1974 - From the story its clear the other fighter did not go 100%. It is even mentioned that he picked his spots, let G-Money do his thing, yet popped him a few times just to keep it as legit as possible.

I'm sure his opponent appreciates you clarifying that up.  I was thinking it was a legit draw and was thinking that was humbling for the non DS guy.

Judging by some people's reactions they didnt watch the video and see that it was essentially an exhibition and he was never in danger of actually getting hurt. Good job by the opponent and a very nice thing to do.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.