UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> ESPN piece on kid with Down syndrome training MMA

3/26/13 2:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
aarondramp
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Classic. Getting voted down for standing up for the mentally disabled.
3/26/13 2:56 PM
Winston Wolf
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

aarondramp - 
Winston Wolf - 
aarondramp - FRAT warning.

I didn't see his opponent wasn't going hard.

This is his opponent's quote:

"So after this he's gonna feel better about everything, like, he's actually been through a real fight."

If the opponent was going easy on him then I have no real issue with this.

However, if his opponent was trying to knock him out and submit him, then as a parent to a kid with DS, I don't know how you can justify putting in someone with the mental abilities of an 8 or 9 year old out there.

I do strongly agree that some of the limitations that parents of special needs children are silly, and we should let each person set their own limitations. I just cannot sign off on letting someone with those mental limitations fight in a real fight because I don't think they can truly understand the consequences to a severe knock out or what happens if you don't tap.

Again, if his opponent was taking it easy on him but just giving him some good stiff punches, then that changes everything.

With all of that said, when he told his coach, "I did it," it got a little dusty in my office.

to each his own HISSSSSS dad thought it was alright he made the call Its his call nobody elses.HIs dad IMO is a hero so is the kid

I agree, but I also have seen videos where dads authorize street fights for their kids. I am not saying that his dad this, but if we simply say that it's up to each parent what their kids do, then we have a slippery slope.

I'm also not sure it's the dad's decision to sign off on it since he's an adult.

this wasnt a street fight and Im positive the opponent was hand picked and purposely didnt hurt the kid too bad But he gave the kid a few real punches which is what he wanted.Everyone involved are heroes IMO.It made my day to see that video
3/26/13 2:57 PM
The Gumball Kid

"So after this he's gonna feel better about everything, like, he's actually been through a real fight."

However, if his opponent was trying to knock him out and submit him, then as a parent to a kid with DS, I don't know how you can justify putting in someone with the mental abilities of an 8 or 9 year old out there.

I do strongly agree that some of the limitations that parents of special needs children are silly, and we should let each person set their own limitations. I just cannot sign off on letting someone with those mental limitations fight in a real fight because I don't think they can truly understand the consequences to a severe knock out or what happens if you don't tap.

Again, if his opponent was taking it easy on him but just giving him some good stiff punches, then that changes everything.

With all of that said, when he told his coach, "I did it," it got a little dusty in my office.

I believe the opponent's mindset was to go in there and allow G Money to challenge himself...to fight...to hit and to get hit. He didn't try to finish him but he didn't give him a charity bout either.

I think it's great what the dad and ATT are doing...as long as his health is no more at risk than a standard fighter it's really a beautiful thing to see G-Money in there as a MMA fighter...nothing else. A seperation that he probably doesn't get a lot of in his life & God bless him

3/26/13 3:01 PM
aarondramp
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Winston Wolf - 
aarondramp - 
Winston Wolf - 

to each his own HISSSSSS dad thought it was alright he made the call Its his call nobody elses.HIs dad IMO is a hero so is the kid

I agree, but I also have seen videos where dads authorize street fights for their kids. I am not saying that his dad this, but if we simply say that it's up to each parent what their kids do, then we have a slippery slope.

I'm also not sure it's the dad's decision to sign off on it since he's an adult.

this wasnt a street fight and Im positive the opponent was hand picked and purposely didnt hurt the kid too bad But he gave the kid a few real punches which is what he wanted.Everyone involved are heroes IMO.It made my day to see that video

You don't seem to be reading what I am saying. I said his dad didn't put him in a street fight, but some dad's do.

If the opponent was just going to take him down some and give him stiff punches then that changes everything. That's why I put that in my original post. I think it's a great idea to give the guy confidence and make him really feel a bit of a fight since he obviously loves it.

If his opponent was trying to knock him out and submit him, then it's tough for me to handle as a parent to a special needs child.
3/26/13 3:24 PM
MoBeffah
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Winston Wolf -
aarondramp - 
Winston Wolf - 

This is how I see it as well. Only thing that caught me off guard is the opponent looked like he went to tap gloves then threw the bomb. Phone Post
3/26/13 3:43 PM
JudOWNED
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed feelings about a guy with a disability fighting a guy with no disability. But it was hard not to agree that he should be allowed to fight when I heard him talk about it, and saw what a huge difference it made in his life. Cool vid. Thanks for posting.

Also, big props to his opponent who treated him with respect all the way through. ...Even when that meant not holding back.
3/26/13 4:01 PM
Jaybrone
272 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good on him and the other guy who took the fight.

3/26/13 4:36 PM
Winston Wolf

aarondramp - Classic. Getting voted down for standing up for the mentally disabled.

i accidently voted down I meant to click quote.Just voted u up to make up for it.Ill vote u up again tomorow
3/26/13 4:39 PM
Winston Wolf

aarondramp - 
Winston Wolf - 
aarondramp - 
Winston Wolf - 

You don't seem to be reading what I am saying. I said his dad didn't put him in a street fight, but some dad's do.

If the opponent was just going to take him down some and give him stiff punches then that changes everything. That's why I put that in my original post. I think it's a great idea to give the guy confidence and make him really feel a bit of a fight since he obviously loves it.

If his opponent was trying to knock him out and submit him, then it's tough for me to handle as a parent to a special needs child.

the opponent was obviously taking it easy on him IMO.But at the same time did hit the kid in the face a few times.Ive never seen a dad put a special needs kid in a street fight have you ?
3/26/13 4:50 PM
aarondramp

Posting here to save some space with all of the long quotes. My argument was only that if you say that it should be up to any parent what their kids can and cannot do then we end up with some bad situations. There are some laws (or in this instance, athletic commissions) to assist in serious situations. Let me say I'm pretty much a libertarian, so I think that the government involvement should be kept to a minimum.

In answer to your question, no, I obviously have never seen a dad put a special needs kid in a fight.

I looked up a little more on the opponent, and it looks like he is a pretty legit fighter that could have destroyed him if he wanted to. His highlight video shows some solid wrestling experience and some decent amateur MMA skills. So, like I said, if he's taking it easy on him while still letting the guy know what a fight is like, then I think it's awesome. The moment he told his coach "I did it" was amazing.

My only concern was somewhat with limited reaction time and the cognitive abilities of a 3rd grader fighting a real fighter that was trying to knock him out or submit him only because he doesn't truly understand the consequences.
3/26/13 4:51 PM
aarondramp

*someone - not somewhat
3/26/13 4:54 PM
Winston Wolf

Edited: 03/26/13 4:57 PM
aarondramp - Posting here to save some space with all of the long quotes. My argument was only that if you say that it should be up to any parent what their kids can and cannot do then we end up with some bad situations. There are some laws (or in this instance, athletic commissions) to assist in serious situations. Let me say I'm pretty much a libertarian, so I think that the government involvement should be kept to a minimum.

In answer to your question, no, I obviously have never seen a dad put a special needs kid in a fight.

I looked up a little more on the opponent, and it looks like he is a pretty legit fighter that could have destroyed him if he wanted to. His highlight video shows some solid wrestling experience and some decent amateur MMA skills. So, like I said, if he's taking it easy on him while still letting the guy know what a fight is like, then I think it's awesome. The moment he told his coach "I did it" was amazing.

My only concern was somewhat with limited reaction time and the cognitive abilities of a 3rd grader fighting a real fighter that was trying to knock him out or submit him only because he doesn't truly understand the consequences.

they said his reading skills were that of an 8 year old never said anything about his cognative which IMO was much higher than an 8 year old.Kid reacted well ,fought his ass off Nobody got hurt.All winners IMO.PS I have a special needs kid too ( not downs but PDD ) and I think what they did for the kid was super
3/26/13 4:56 PM
Winston Wolf

also think ( know ) the kid knew the consequnces,risk and for damn sure knew what a knockout was or submission.The kid knew he could be KOed and was IMO very familiar with what an MMA fight is.Kids an insperation
3/26/13 4:59 PM
I_Bungalo_Baboo_Babies
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Place holder Phone Post
3/26/13 5:33 PM
uniquetechnique
518 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

THAT WAS AWESOME AND TOUCHING!
3/27/13 9:11 AM
devilishstoner
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Really wanted to be a hard-ass about this, but damn if I didn't choke up throughout the whole thing. That was amazing. Good for him.

3/27/13 10:51 AM
Bootsy Collins
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jesus my comment wasn't even disrespectful. Four vote downs? Some sensitive pricks on here

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.