UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fowlkes: How can WSoF avoid dying?

3/25/13 1:13 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1064 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The fate of Henry VIII's six wives is told in a brief rhyme:
Divorced, beheaded, died;
Divorced beheaded survived.

Likewise the fate historically of competitors to the UFC can be divided into buyed and died (hey, they rhyme :-). The poem goes like this:
Buyed, buyed, buyed;
Died, died, died.
Buyed.

For the record, the shows are WFA (bought), Pride (bought), WEC (bought), ProElite XC (died), IFL (died), Affliction (died), Strikeforce (bought).

MMAJunkie's Ben Fowlkes asks where WSoF can fit into the national or international MMA landscape, given the dominance of the UFC. As a starting point, he notes that Andrei Arlovski was wearing UFC gloves in his WSoF main event, which illustrates the problem almost too perfectly.

The main card of WSOF 2 was 50% former UFC fighters, 70% if you include the ZUFFA -owned WEC and Strikeforce events:
Anthony Johnson  (ex-UFC) def. Andrei Arlovski (ex-UFC)
Marlon Moraes def. Tyson Nam
Dave Branch (ex-UFC)  def. Paulo Filho (ex-WEC)
Josh Burkman (ex-UFC) def. Aaron Simpson (ex-UFC)
Justin Gaethje def. Gesias Cavalcante (Strikeforce)

Just three fighters on the main card, Marlon Moraes, Tyson Nam, and Justin Gaethje had never appeared in a ZUFFA owned show.

Both main event fighters rose to prominence in the UFC, as did welterweights Josh Burkman and Aaron Simpson. And when Burkman won big, it was announced he would be fighting Jon Fitch next. Fitch too of course made his name in the UFC; and he already fought Burkman, in the UFC.

This is a problem not just for the World Series of Fighting, but for any organization that tries to cobble together its own product using UFC castoffs. The perception, whether right or wrong, is that these are fighters who are past their expiration date. They come with some baggage, even though that baggage is the same reason why they're main card draws to begin with: We saw them in the UFC. In most cases, we also saw why they aren't in the UFC anymore. Making them the stars of the show in a new fight promotion only furthers the perception that we're watching imitation UFC, a cheap knockoff brand for the kids whose parents won't buy them the real thing.

How do you draw a crowd without the UFC's leftovers? And, if you can't do that, how do you put those leftovers to work without drawing unflattering comparisons to the world's No. 1 MMA organization (especially if the product you put on TV is littered with flubs and missteps)? If you can't do either one, then how do you carve out a lasting niche that will keep you from falling into an early grave beside the likes of Affliction and the IFL?

I doubt there are any easy or obvious answers.

Read entire article...

3/25/13 1:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Condit's Face Broke My Hand
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Picked a bad night to hold their card too

3/25/13 1:14 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
450 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bought, IMO

3/25/13 1:15 PM
Richard Tuck
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Buyed?
3/25/13 1:18 PM
MachidasBrew
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOOOL AT 'buyed' holy fuck I could only read the second poem and stopped. Phone Post
3/25/13 1:18 PM
dhughes
306 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Richard Tuck - Buyed?

Boughteded is correct.
3/25/13 1:19 PM
Richard Tuck
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MachidasBrew -  LOOOL AT 'buyed' holy fuck I could only read the second poem and stopped. Phone Post

Give it a chance, don't be buyist
3/25/13 1:19 PM
dhughes
306 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe he meanted "bye'd"
3/25/13 1:22 PM
NJstileNJ
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

they should be fine as long as they keep it relatively small...small venues, maybe get a good TV deal. Don't sign anyone with huge name to a huge dollar contract.
3/25/13 1:25 PM
john joe
378 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only, web/editorial
there is no surer way to kill your org than fill it with former ufc names and pay them top dollar
3/25/13 1:27 PM
herwil10
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They should just try and make it the MMA version of ESPN's Friday Night Fights and the NBC Sports Boxing shows. Neither of them is trying to be HBO World Championship Boxing and they make no illusions about that. Just try and put on entertaining cards, at smaller venues, with reasonably priced fighters.
3/25/13 7:40 PM
Brian Rule
262 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my god this poetic failure
3/25/13 7:47 PM
hendofanforlife
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Step one: dont call out Dana and UFC
Step 2: see step one
3/25/13 11:25 PM
DaddyGorg

herwil, good post.
3/26/13 12:10 AM
Phil Cornelius

MMA will NEVER reach it's TRUE potential until there is more then one organization then just UFC....so many people don't bother fighting cuz of this also due to the bans in ALOT of states....alot more talent would be in with these things fixed.
3/26/13 6:46 AM
CindyO

Phil Cornelius - MMA will NEVER reach it's TRUE potential until there is more then one organization then just UFC....so many people don't bother fighting cuz of this also due to the bans in ALOT of states....alot more talent would be in with these things fixed.

Which states still have a ban on MMA?

Cindy

3/26/13 6:50 AM
CindyO

Has anyone in the media bothered asking what happened to the time clock in the first round, why AA was wearing UFC gloves, or how many teeth Arlovski lost?

Cindy

3/26/13 7:32 AM
WholeMilk

This is such a self-pump article. Why is this even a question - there is certainly enough interest, just keep to an honest budget.

UFC by and large uses a 2 losses in a row and you are cut policy. A lot of good talent gets cut with that. And as they pump women into their roster, even more good talent is going to fall in the cracks. Its almost as if they are letting fighters go according to "rankings". Dana admits this tacitly himself - fans watch fights for more than "ladder" rankings. They watch for entertainment, almost preferentially.

Would fans watch great fights by talent who got cut by the UFC? Absolutely...look at Nick Diaz in Strikeforce.

Can fighters get let go by the UFC and eventually be extremely relevant again? Oh yah - Matt Serra, Nick Diaz, Dan Henderson, Paul Daley. I predict Che Mills and Matt Riddle to have a number of amazing fights in their future.

I would watch Che Mills on NBC sports, no problem.
3/26/13 7:59 AM
Seats Taken
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Condit's Face Broke My Hand -

Picked a bad night to hold their card too

Between March Madness Basketball and NCAA wrestling national finals I could only have it on 1 TV in the bar where I work and people asked to watch Basketball on that TV, of course I told them no. Phone Post
3/26/13 8:14 AM
stevekt
560 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They weren't buyed! They were boughted! Duh!
3/26/13 8:38 AM
Sajite
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's what I'd try to avoid that certain death:

1.- Get some international talent. I'd be flying a plane to Dagestan and fill it with fighters... BUILT your own LEGENDS... that takes us to the second point

2.- Copy Pride FC tournament model. One champ based in teh "traditional" ranked mode and one yearly tournament champion in three events. Make the tournament some sort of weight-catch tournament to favor fights that won't be happening in "regular" championship.

3.- Add some freakshow (with moderation): you name it Wrestlers, NFL football players, NBA basket players, TV stars, James Toney, Gypsy boxers... be creative, read the UG

4.- Increase the production value. Don't be shy. PrideFC adapted japanese wrestling visual model and it has been remember for his production value. MMA isn't baseball, no shame in adapting some wrestling stuff like PrideFC did. ...Your production has to be EPIC(and no, by epic I don't mean gladiators and skulls....) hire some holywood people or some japanese guys. Spend your money.

5.- Get a good TV deal with international broadcasting. There's plenty of interest in MMA in some countries with people that can't afford an UFC PPV. PPV in spain for a Madrid Barça is 12€. No one will spent 40€ in an UFC event but I have no doubt that an organization having their showed aired here will get some attention. Same happens to lots of european, african, south american and asian countries. Football is the most economically valueable sport in the world and he has developed without PPVs.

6.- Spot talent. Create and invest money in amateur circuits. Create some strong base. Be active working with the base of the sport. Spot and forge talent actively. Be the first to sign.. you can't live on what other orgs are leaving behind.

you're welcome.

3/26/13 8:44 AM
slamming

MachidasBrew - LOOOL AT 'buyed' holy fuck I could only read the second poem and stopped. Phone Post
Was meant to rhyme will died. Get over it. Phone Post
3/26/13 12:15 PM
Zed Wayne Zed
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like the idea of no belts and just big fights.

They won't compete if they try the title structure,
but the big fights every 3 months thing is good with me.

3/26/13 12:56 PM
Haulport

Fuck that joke of a "reporter" Ben calling FIGHTERS "castoffs". He is just another SHILL repeating what the Zuffa PR people tell him to say.

Fuck you Ben, why don't you get in the cage against Andrei and AJ and call them castoffs? If you want to say they where once with the UFC or Zuffa then call them "former" exclusively. Using the term "castoff" is incredibly derogatory and disrespectful.

Fucking Keyboard Warrior........
3/26/13 1:19 PM
Condit's Face Broke My Hand
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haulport - Fuck that joke of a "reporter" Ben calling FIGHTERS "castoffs". He is just another SHILL repeating what the Zuffa PR people tell him to say.

Fuck you Ben, why don't you get in the cage against Andrei and AJ and call them castoffs? If you want to say they where once with the UFC or Zuffa then call them "former" exclusively. Using the term "castoff" is incredibly derogatory and disrespectful.

Fucking Keyboard Warrior........

This is incredibly ignorant and stupid. Have you ever listened to the CME podcast? Fowkles disagrees with stuff the UFC does all the time. To the point people think he and Chad Dundas are too critical and cynical. Especially when it comes to the way the UFC promotes certain things and how some of their business is done, or having too many guys on the roster and shows.

Do your homework before you start with the radical namecalling and internet temper tantrums.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.