UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> What should i be doing....

3/25/13 7:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
le Hippie
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

(FRAT-ish)

To improve my strength in the clinch? Tonight at thai during sparring it was a clinch affair. I wasnt doing too badly against guys of similar strength but as soon as it got too the stronger guys i felt like the fact they were stronger gave them a huge advantage. I know a lot of it is technique but that isnt the only way to go. Help me guys? Phone Post
3/25/13 8:43 PM
Taku
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is a ton of technique when working the clinch. Subtle changes in posture can be huge. Get as strong as possible, but don't underestimate the impact of improving the technique side.

TAKU

3/25/13 9:23 PM
le Hippie
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cheers. I know you cant ever master the technique so i will continue working on that. Looking for additional ways to be stronger in the clinch. Just dont know the correct exercises to be doing Phone Post
3/26/13 9:56 AM
Taku
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Among many other things, I would recommend a comprehensive Neck routine. With my athletes we use a specific protocol of Strength Training For Cervical Spine Injury and Concussion Prevention. It takes about 12-15 minutes when using the entire program. It includes direct work for the muscles of the head & neck as well as traps, upper back etc. If you already do strength training, and are including upper back and trap work in that program, then just add direct Head & Neck work.

A basic neck routine should include Flexion, Extension, Lateral Flexion (right & left) as well as direct trap movements.

The routine I use may be found by clicking the link above.

TAKU

3/26/13 10:02 AM
le Hippie

Thanks mate. Will try working it into my routine. VU coming your way Phone Post
3/27/13 6:49 PM
Leigh
716 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Taku is spot on.

Additionally, standard strength training will help - heavy compound movements. Weighted chins will improve pulling strength but that's not the only requirement for clinching, so develop general strength rather than specific.

To reiterate, technique is more important. Grab the crown instead of the neck for better leverage etc. Phone Post
3/28/13 11:18 AM
Taku

JKS,

As far as I am concerned, all athletes (and even regular fitness folks) can and should be doing neck training. Combat athletes should make it a priority. When I work with Hockey players, Boxers, American Football, etc. we train the neck first. A basic neck training plan only adds a few minutes to your over all plan. It's worth it.

Research is showing that improving neck strength can positively improve performance across the board (run faster, jump higher, etc). This makes sense as weak links will always hold you back. I even train the neck with my cyclist and they notice the difference on long rides.

TAKU

3/28/13 12:03 PM
DaddyO4
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Always great advice from Taku. Strength training for different sports is more similar than it is different. The skill work for each sport is what is different.
3/28/13 12:07 PM
DaddyO4
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It amazes me how many people neglect neck trainng. I was lucky enough to catch a gym getting rid of a neck machine and they let me have it free. It sits in my home weight room and gets put to good use along with a power rack, a reverse hyper....
3/28/13 12:38 PM
27CrazyFeet
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Taku - 

Among many other things, I would recommend a comprehensive Neck routine. With my athletes we use a specific protocol of Strength Training For Cervical Spine Injury and Concussion Prevention. It takes about 12-15 minutes when using the entire program. It includes direct work for the muscles of the head & neck as well as traps, upper back etc. If you already do strength training, and are including upper back and trap work in that program, then just add direct Head & Neck work.

A basic neck routine should include Flexion, Extension, Lateral Flexion (right & left) as well as direct trap movements.

The routine I use may be found by clicking the link above.

TAKU

product looks great.. do you need equipment for for it?

can i do this on the mat or does it have to be done in the weight room?
3/28/13 1:38 PM
Taku

Hey 27CF,

Certain exercises are best done with dedicated equipment, but the program can be done using basic stuff. One could use a neck harness or manual resistance for the direct neck work, the rest of the program could be done with free-weights, strength machines etc.

TAKU

3/29/13 7:59 AM
JBryan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you are training in a Muay Thai Camp your Kru should be focusing on neck strengthening. It's a big part of real Muay Thai. He also should be teaching clinch tactics to help you deal with a stronger opponent. If not, from a S&C situation follow what Taku is saying and you'll never go wrong. Good luck.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.