UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Can Benson break Silva's UFC title defense record?

3/25/13 10:47 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1068 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Anderson Silva won the UFC middleweight title in October of 2006, a first round stoppage of then champion Rich Franklin. Silva has since won fourteen consecutive bouts, ten of those being defense of his title.

Benson Henderson won the UFC lightweight title in February of 2012 and has since defended the belt two times. Henderson however is not content with just being the champion, and has lofty goals for his career as he recently told Duane Finley of B/R:

"I'm going to continue to work hard to reach my goals," Henderson told Bleacher Report. "Anderson is now at 10 title defenses so my goal is to get 11. If he gets another title defense then I'll have to set my goal even higher. Those are the goals I set and reaching that goal is not just about setting the record. Reaching that goal is about confirming I am the best fighter on the planet. I just want to be the best fighter on the planet. There have been plenty of fighters—who at the time were known as the best fighter on the planet—but they didn't have a 10-title defense streak and didn't have all the records.

"I feel at one time BJ Penn was definitely the best fighter on the planet. Did he have a 10-fight win streak? No he didn't. Did he have an undefeated streak where he won 16 fights in a row? No he didn't. But at the same time, everyone knew and understood he was the best fighter in the world.

"I feel having that streak is my way of cementing the fact I am the best fighter on the planet. That is ultimately my goal. If it comes by winning a bunch of fights in a row and having an amazing win streak, then cool. I'll take it. I guess I don't really have to have that, but it is my ultimate goal. I want to be the best fighter I can be and be the best fighter on the planet."

read entire article...

So Underground, what do you think of Benson's goals? Anderson Silva's streak seems almost untouchable, but do you think it can matched? Beaten?

3/25/13 10:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mike Morris
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Negative ghost rider. He's gonna have his hands full with showtime. Phone Post
3/25/13 10:52 PM
Condit's Face Broke My Hand
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I doubt it, but that would be awesome. I'd love to see it.

3/25/13 10:54 PM
epic hero
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mike Morris -  Negative ghost rider. He's gonna have his hands full with showtime. Phone Post

He didn't sound too interested in fighting him either, he knows Anthony takes the belt if they ever fight again
3/25/13 10:54 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
451 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope so, because I love Bendo, but I really doubt it.

3/25/13 10:56 PM
ortman166

epic hero -
Mike Morris -  Negative ghost rider. He's gonna have his hands full with showtime. Phone Post

He didn't sound too interested in fighting him either, he knows Anthony takes the belt if they ever fight again
They won't, Aldo beats them both. Phone Post
3/25/13 10:57 PM
jimbonice

I heard jebus likes his opponent better.

But, seriously, no. He'll be lucky to get through the next year. Phone Post
3/25/13 10:57 PM
Huningtonbbb

I'm a fan, but in my book he already lost, to Frankie the second time Phone Post
3/25/13 10:58 PM
FingerorMoon
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

May as well aim for the stars. If he 'only' ends up with 6-7 defenses he'll still be remembered as one of the greatest of all time.
3/25/13 11:06 PM
Porkchop

Seriously? Are we this desperate for news?

I'll be back to this thread in 5 years when it's physically possible.
3/25/13 11:10 PM
MasterofMartialArts
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why does everybody act like Showtime gets a guaranteed win if they fight again? Did y'all see the first fight? It was fucking CLOSE. Great fight. If they fight again it will be another great fight. Benson has improved alot since that fight, and Pettis has looked good. I compare Benson to GSP in a sense that he is always training insanely and training new techniques, coming better and stronger every time out. Hes gonna be tough to beat, he will come with a gameplan. But to say Benson "knows" that Pettis will come and take the belt is ridiculous. GTFO. Phone Post
3/25/13 11:12 PM
Chris27

Def possible.

If he beats Gilbert you are looking at Maynard/Grant, Pettis/Aldo as his biggest threats.

3/25/13 11:15 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
Huningtonbbb -  I'm a fan, but in my book he already lost, to Frankie the second time Phone Post

One can argue that Frankie never deserved the rematch to begin with, but, you're right, Frankie did win.
3/25/13 11:21 PM
Condit's Face Broke My Hand
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris27 - Def possible.

If he beats Gilbert you are looking at Maynard/Grant, Pettis/Aldo as his biggest threats.

Always new guys though, especially at lightweight. 10-12 title defenses? That's probably 4 or 5 years if he stays healthy. There's Gunnar Nelson in the future and who knows who else will show up in that time.

3/25/13 11:23 PM
The Sultan
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its nice to set goals but lets get to 5 or 6 title defenses before we start talking about even getting close to the likes of Anderson Silva's record. Phone Post
3/25/13 11:25 PM
Old noob
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I say no. Too many guys in the LW division that stand a good chance. I don't know who it will be, but I think within a year or two he loses the belt.
3/25/13 11:26 PM
FanToFighter
197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How bout we get closer to his record before we start having comparisons Phone Post
The Sultan
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LW is one of the most stacked divisions next to welterweight. There are serious contenders up and down that roster. He'd be lucky to get to 3 title defenses imho Phone Post
boldtiger
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boldtiger MMA Contests, Owner

probably not but it depends who he faces.  i like michael chandler #1 at 155 now and in the future to beat everyone

3/25/13 11:40 PM
Kostakio
456 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Huningtonbbb - I'm a fan, but in my book he already lost, to Frankie the second time Phone Post
Agreed. Phone Post
3/25/13 11:41 PM
UGCTT_SidRival
445 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nope Phone Post
3/25/13 11:45 PM
Klownoh

His best chance is if Pettis beats Aldo cause I think Aldo and Pettis both beat him. Phone Post
3/25/13 11:46 PM
Achilles is the GOAT
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe, but no where near the highlight reel Phone Post
3/25/13 11:57 PM
ortman166

Michai - Strange No mention of gsp's record so far since he's the closest. Not mention the dude hasn't given up a round in forever. In many ways that's just as difficult. Phone Post
Benson knows Phone Post
3/26/13 12:01 AM
Pessimist_Pete

Huningtonbbb - I'm a fan, but in my book he already lost, to Frankie the second time Phone Post
lol no Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.