UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Can Benson break Silva's UFC title defense record?

3/26/13 12:02 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Pessimist_Pete
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Klownoh - His best chance is if Pettis beats Aldo cause I think Aldo and Pettis both beat him. Phone Post
I think Bendo has improved much more than Pettis in the past two years Phone Post
3/26/13 12:04 AM
sambrincat

I believe he will be there a while. He's just so well rounded. Phone Post
3/26/13 12:18 AM
RKing85
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wouldn't say out loud their is no chance in hell he beats Silva's record......but I will think it silently to myself.
3/26/13 12:34 AM
Bucephalus

"I'm going to continue to work hard to reach my goals," Henderson told Bleacher Report. "Anderson is now at 10 title defenses so my goal is to get 11. If he gets another title defense then I'll have to set my goal even higher. Those are the goals I set and reaching that goal is not just about setting the record.

So his goals are based on other people's accomplishments?

Hmmm...

Not exactly the mentality of someone like Anderson Silva who doesn't try to beat the records of other fighters. Guys like Anderson naturally set the mark that guys like Benson Henderson try to emulate. It's a different type of mind altogether.

I would be surprised if Benson won half as many defenses as Anderson. Of course that's still impressive for someone who thinks like Benson.
3/26/13 12:37 AM
Bucephalus

If Aldo - someone with twice the defenses as Benson - decides to move up in weight.. He will take Benson's belt from him. Simple as that.
3/26/13 12:40 AM
Bailx
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anderson has set the bar so high, you really can't judge Benson for trying to emulate that... I guess.

I mean, it's pre-mature and i suppose immature also, to talk in such a way, I think it's just the way his mind works though.

I see no reason he can't have a long reign though, he is a very good fighter... I've been waiting for this Pettis rematch a long time... and am really looking forward to it... but Pettis is fighting Aldo next and if he wins he can't fight Bendo right? (Dana will not allow a fighter to hold a belt in 2 weight classes) = dumbest rule ever.
3/26/13 1:20 AM
Bucephalus

If you limit your own goals to the relative achievements of others, you are only as successful to the degree that other people were willing to push themselves.
3/26/13 1:25 AM
nnwourgeet
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He already lost to Frankie, so there goes that one.
3/26/13 1:31 AM
Bailx
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bucephalus - If you limit your own goals to the relative achievements of others, you are only as successful to the degree that other people were willing to push themselves.

i think you are right... except for the fact that ANDERSON is quite possibly the greatest P4P fighter ever... so it changes the way you have to go about comparing things

to put it into perspective i'll put it this way.... we'll probably look back at this era of MMA much like we look back at when Michael Jordan had the Pistons (and other teams) using the "Jordan Rules" Anderson is THAT GOOD.... so it changes the game.... and you can't look down on Benson for thinking about this is his own different way.

Also he's the champ, show some respect.
3/26/13 1:39 AM
Carl Sonnen

epic hero - 
Mike Morris -  Negative ghost rider. He's gonna have his hands full with showtime. Phone Post

He didn't sound too interested in fighting him either, he knows Anthony takes the belt if they ever fight again

I does seem like he has been avoiding Pettis for awhile now.
3/26/13 1:47 AM
StrikeforceSupporter

I think his "reign" will end come gilbert melendez.
3/26/13 1:50 AM
kinson

ortman166 -
epic hero -
Mike Morris -  Negative ghost rider. He's gonna have his hands full with showtime. Phone Post

He didn't sound too interested in fighting him either, he knows Anthony takes the belt if they ever fight again
They won't, Aldo beats them both. Phone Post
Aldo is a huge feather weight. Phone Post
3/26/13 1:51 AM
caseharts
406 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bucephalus - If Aldo - someone with twice the defenses as Benson - decides to move up in weight.. He will take Benson's belt from him. Simple as that.
At a much weaker weight class though. Phone Post
3/26/13 1:53 AM
StrikeforceSupporter

GSP24 -  No. I don't think you will ever see another fighter accomplish what Anderson has for a long time. Phone Post

Not even Jose Aldo or Jon Jones? Pssshhh. Anderson Silva got tapped by two cans and lost a decision to a below 500 welterweight in his career. He has wins over dan henderson, rich franklin, and hayato sakurai. His time is coming to an end as well, against chris weidman. Jon Jones already has better wins than anderson and he is undefeated and only 25 years of age! Rampage, Shogun, and Machida is greater than Hendo, Franklin, and Sakurai; sorry.
3/26/13 1:56 AM
Bisping KOd by CHRIST

Lol no. If lw was the weakest divi, had a ton of 1 dimensional dropouts like mw and he had the ability to turn down and/or cherry pick contenders, then yes....easily. But the quality of opponents at lw is far too high to pull that shit.
3/26/13 2:01 AM
StrikeforceSupporter

Bisping KOd by CHRIST - Lol no. If lw was the weakest divi, had a ton of 1 dimensional dropouts like mw and he had the ability to turn down and/or cherry pick contenders, then yes....easily. But the quality of opponents at lw is far too high to pull that shit.

Holy shit, man. You avg. 16 posts per day. What do you do for a living?
3/26/13 2:04 AM
UGCTT_sideshowsteve
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Sultan -  Its nice to set goals but lets get to 5 or 6 title defenses before we start talking about even getting close to the likes of Anderson Silva's record. Phone Post

No doubt!
The fact that this is a UG News/blog piece tells me that it's chock full 'o fluffy irrelevance right off the bat anyways. (jk guys! maybe)
However, If someone were to write a conjecture-based feature that is filled with speculation about someone possibly breaking Anderson's record one day, shouldn't it be about GSP -who actually has 7-8 title defenses right now? Not to mention his new snazzy, yet politically incorrect, rising sun Gi!
Why does GSP hate the Koreans?
Now THERES a good headline for an UG News story!
3/26/13 4:25 AM
Bucephalus

Edited: 03/26/13 4:26 AM
Bailx - 
Bucephalus - If you limit your own goals to the relative achievements of others, you are only as successful to the degree that other people were willing to push themselves.

i think you are right... except for the fact that ANDERSON is quite possibly the greatest P4P fighter ever... so it changes the way you have to go about comparing things

to put it into perspective i'll put it this way.... we'll probably look back at this era of MMA much like we look back at when Michael Jordan had the Pistons (and other teams) using the "Jordan Rules" Anderson is THAT GOOD.... so it changes the game.... and you can't look down on Benson for thinking about this is his own different way.

Also he's the champ, show some respect.

The point is that to be the greatest you don't compare yourself to anyone but yourself. You are your own benchmark. And I agree that Anderson is that good.. which is all the more absurd for Benson to talk like he is going to be better than Anderson by comparing himself to someone else.. even if it's Anderson! That's not how Anderson thinks.. nor is it how Gretsky thought.. or Jordan thought.. Those guys are the GOAT.. because they are incomparable.. and competed as such. I commented because it's absurd for Benson to be talking about being better than Anderson with an attitude like that. And it has nothing to do with disrespecting Benson. I respect him. He's a good fighter and a champion. But I respect Anderson far too much not to comment on the absurdity of Benson's remarks. Just my 2 cents.
3/26/13 8:24 AM
blupitt
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wtf? A lil early we should b wondering about gsp and jones now benson defended once in a super tough division Phone Post
3/26/13 9:57 AM
Y2JB

Edited: 03/26/13 9:58 AM
Zero UFC finishes and doesn't have a highlight reel. Can i get an amen?
3/26/13 10:02 AM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom

I just don't see it...

3/26/13 10:19 AM
The Black Cheez
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's possible. I guess it only takes 2 title defenses to be considered to break a record.

I enjoy Bendos fights, I just think now is not the time to ask if he can break that record. Because 2 is not even close in my opinion. Phone Post
3/26/13 10:21 AM
RedDragons
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only if he uses his titanium toothpick.
3/26/13 10:26 AM
ChaosOverkill
519 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not a chance, LW is way more stacked. Aldo or Pettis are eventually taking that belt

3/26/13 10:38 AM
Card
1970 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.