UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> 3rd shift workout?

3/26/13 5:09 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Just_Scrap
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So my job just switched my schedule to straight midnights, and it has thrown a huge wrench into my workout regimen. I'm working from 7pm to 8am. Been trying to hit the gym when I get off in the mornings, but I'm so freaking tired its affecting my lifts. Was hoping you guys would have some tips for me... Anybody else deal with this? Phone Post
3/26/13 10:15 AM
The Adversary
440 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I worked graveyard for 3 years, 10pm-8am. What worked best for me was getting home and going to bed as soon as possible, usually around 9am. I would wake up around 5pm and get to the gym at 6.

I tried it the other way first, too, but it didn't work as well for me. Takes some getting used to, but once you're in the groove, you'll be fine. I felt like I was more relaxed and had more energy at work, if that makes any sense.
3/26/13 10:58 AM
Shanle929
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah once you get into your groove it'll be fine. My shift varies from job to job 6am-6pm or vice versa for nights. Once I got used to it I do 2adays. A cardio workout after work then a harder workout when I woke up. Just keep plugging away and you'll get it man. Good luck Phone Post
3/26/13 1:03 PM
shootfighterbull

I work 4-12 2nd shift, and I lift before work. On the days I lift, I'm a much more personable person at work. Phone Post
3/26/13 6:50 PM
TerreM

I have been working noc shifts 7-7 for 10+ years. It seems strange to others but your getting enough quality sleep becomes so much more important or prominent than when you were a daytime worker. The switching back and forth from daytime life (on days off) to vampire hours takes some time getting used to. You will have to find a routine that works for you. Some people need more sleep than others. I am good if I get 5 hrs/day. Blackout curtains are a must! I go to bed ASAP 0830ish and have found that exercise after getting up works best and I am more alert and awake than those who are sucking down energy drinks and coffee to stay awake. I have found workouts help regulate sleep cycle as well. Good luck.
3/26/13 6:59 PM
Shanle929

Agree with TerreM Phone Post
3/27/13 3:54 AM
Just_Scrap
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the replies! I'm sure I'll get adjusted soon enough. I'm going to start trying to hit the gym before I go in this week and see if that helps. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.