UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> Another DC writer walks away

3/26/13 11:53 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
paw
1375 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/26/what-if-mike-johnson-walked-off-supergirl-and-no-one-noticed/

What If Mike Johnson Walked Off Supergirl And No One Noticed?

I’ve been dancing around this one for the last few days, but it all came together over the weekend.

This was the solicitation for Supergirl #18.

SUPERGIRL #18
Written by MIKE JOHNSON
Art and cover by MAHMUD ASRAR
On sale MARCH 20 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
• It’s a new dawn for the Girl of Steel after the nightmare of “H’EL ON EARTH”!
• Nothing will be the same for Supergirl as she embarks on a new mission that brings her face to face with one of DC’s deadliest villains!

And even though Johnson and Asrar‘s names were on the cover, the insides were different. Asrar said that it was a fill in and he’d be back for issue 20. So don’t expect #19 to be as solicited either.

SUPERGIRL #19
Written by MIKE JOHNSON
Art and fold-out cover by MAHMUD ASRAR
1:25 MAD Variant cover by The Usual Gang of Idiots
On sale APRIL 17 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.
• In a battle of equals, which girl will reign supreme?

Supergirl #20 sees new writer Michael Alan Nelson take on the book.

SUPERGIRL #20
Written by MICHAEL ALAN NELSON
Art by MAHMUD ASRAR
Cover by EMANUELA LUPACCHINO
On sale MAY 15 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
Supergirl is dead—Long live Supergirl! Or so it seems as the strange connection between the Karas has Power Girl becoming Supergirl again.

So why the change? And why the fuss depriving Johnson of his final two issues? Basically… another walkout., Just one that was tidied up a little less publicly than with Andy Diggle or Josh Fialkov.

3/26/13 11:54 AM
paw
1375 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

paw comments:  Either Marvel doesn't have these problems, or they are better at keeping them under wraps...or both.

3/26/13 12:14 PM
Hercules Rockerfeller
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/26/13 12:14 PM

I'm going to guess that Marvel doesn't have these problems. I can't remember the last time a writer just straight up left Marvel.  Aside from the recent Marvel NOW intitative, creative teams have been pretty solid for the last few years.  

3/26/13 12:47 PM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At what point does DC realize it has a problem? Will they have to end up with zero talent before they can their editorial staff?
3/26/13 12:52 PM
Hercules Rockerfeller
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think its a deeper issue with their respective parent companies.  You have Marvel, which is owned by Disney, and DC which is a division of Warner Bros. Entertainment.  Disney is well known as being a hands-off owner.  They buy companies that know how to make money and essentially provide financial backing.  They're doing it with Marvel and Pixar and it looks like they're going to do the same with Star Wars.  

Warner Bros. on the other hand isn't that hands off.  They are focusing on making money in films the way that Disney is with their Marvel franchises so they have to play catch-up.  Get people talking about and buying the comics so they can go see the movies and end up with another hit like the Dark Knight or The Avengers and avoid another Green Lantern.  

3/26/13 12:57 PM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hercules Rockerfeller - 

I think its a deeper issue with their respective parent companies.  You have Marvel, which is owned by Disney, and DC which is a division of Warner Bros. Entertainment.  Disney is well known as being a hands-off owner.  They buy companies that know how to make money and essentially provide financial backing.  They're doing it with Marvel and Pixar and it looks like they're going to do the same with Star Wars.  

Warner Bros. on the other hand isn't that hands off.  They are focusing on making money in films the way that Disney is with their Marvel franchises so they have to play catch-up.  Get people talking about and buying the comics so they can go see the movies and end up with another hit like the Dark Knight or The Avengers and avoid another Green Lantern.  

That's a very good point, but I think they're not doing themselves any favors by being this freaking dumb. I wish they would focus on building the brand, rather than building the brand's notoriety.
3/26/13 3:06 PM
paw

Hercules Rockerfeller - 

Very nice post.

3/26/13 9:54 PM
maantren
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hercules Rockerfeller - 

Yup, totally agree. Disney have gotten REALLY smart with how to handle creative teams that feed into large franchises (Marvel + Pixar), which is also why I have very high hopes for Star Wars. DC/WB are ten years behind IMO.
3/26/13 10:59 PM
Ryan Wood
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What do we have coming down the pipeline from DC & WB right now, just Man of Steel? Is there anything else cooking? They've got to have some kind of Justice League plan after seeing how insanely well The Avengers did, right?
3/26/13 11:13 PM
Hercules Rockerfeller

The entire DC Cinematic Universe is essentially riding on Man of Steel.  They fucked up Green Lantern, and could not get a Wonder Woman tv series off the ground.  Those two plus Batman and Superman are your core of the Justice League.  And of these four, so far only one has had a successful vehicle to make a Justice League movie possible.  If Man of Steel doesn't bring in at least Iron Man numbers, there is no way you can convince WB that there is interest in a super hero team in which the public only gives a shit about one character.  Do you think people would have gone to see The Avengers if they hated, didn't know anything about, or didn't care about Captain America, Thor and Hulk?

3/26/13 11:18 PM
Ryan Wood
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hercules Rockerfeller - 

The entire DC Cinematic Universe is essentially riding on Man of Steel.  They fucked up Green Lantern, and could not get a Wonder Woman tv series off the ground.  Those two plus Batman and Superman are your core of the Justice League.  And of these four, so far only one has had a successful vehicle to make a Justice League movie possible.  If Man of Steel doesn't bring in at least Iron Man numbers, there is no way you can convince WB that there is interest in a super hero team in which the public only gives a shit about one character.  Do you think people would have gone to see The Avengers if they hated, didn't know anything about, or didn't care about Captain America, Thor and Hulk?

Good point. If Green Lantern didn't suck so badly we might already have been leading into some JL shenaniganry.

From what I read about the failed WW show, I'm glad that never really materialized. Something is definitely amiss at the highest levels of DC/WB.

I'm really hoping that Man of Steel kicks all kinds of ass...
3/27/13 1:11 AM
MarkRobinson
1196 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The problem is definitely WB. Phone Post
3/27/13 1:18 AM
MarkRobinson
1196 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I still can't believe how bad GL was.

That movie is definitely one of the worst comic films ever. Not even elektra had a fucked up, all over the place, non-sense plot like GL.

I think it's probably the worst comic film ever considering the amount of money spent on it. Phone Post
3/27/13 9:42 AM
johnnypayne
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MarkRobinson -  The problem is definitely WB. Phone Post

The problem is always warner brothers

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.