UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Quebec gives its BS statement re: the GSP weighin

3/28/13 3:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Curtis_E_Bare
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lazer MMA - 
Curtis_E_Bare - 
Lazer MMA - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
Lazer MMA - 
RFLAG

You understand that you can see if someone is over 170 or no on a scale correct? WTF R U talking about? Per contract and via rule in a UFC title fight there is a "maximum" of 170 LBS allowed.

170.9 > 170

You seem more familiar with the Quebec AC that I am.  Do they use a scale that shows decimals?  Are the shown to the nearest pound (170), nearest tenth (170.1), nearest hundreth (170.15), nearest thousandth (170.152), or other?

Dude I'm not familiar with anything other than any scale I can imaging being used, the actual rules the local commission were supposed to follow and common sense! I'm telling you if the commission themselves said that they are throwing the decimals out, they had access to them; therefore, "you can see if someone is over 170 or no on a scale (that was used or would be used for any such purpose as weigh in of fighters ANYWHERE)".

Per my comments (let me know if you require the written rules) "In UFC title fight at WW there is a "maximum" of 170 LBS allowed.

170.9 > 170"

There is really nothing to talk about, the local commission did not act as intended by the rules. They acted in an unethical fashion.

"the local commission did not act as intended by the rules"

Except, with respect to how weight is determined, the local ACs determine the rules, not the UFC and there is no rule. So they could not have broken it.

A I posted before - would it make you feel better if they got scales without decimals or put a piece of electrical tape over the last digit of the ones they already used (assuming they were already using ones with a decimal)? Would this be OK because the scale read "170" and not 170.X?

No the local commission acted in bad faith and knows damn well 170.9>170 and was not free to change the clear rule to suit there needs. The UFC does NOT set the rule at all!

Those rules I posted are the commissions own rules which were violated by the local commission.

I've looked through the Quebec AC rules a couple of times and I see no such rule that states what level of tolerance must be achieved. Could you please post the relevant section?
The only part I have seen is that the promotion determines the weight class and the AC ensures it achieved - and the AC determines what level of tolerance is acceptable.

Why can a ww fighter fight, for a title, at 170.01 in Las Vegas?
3/28/13 3:40 PM
clown makeup
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nick Lembo, counsel for the New Jersey Athletic Control Board, said on Tuesday that his agency “will allow one pound over on a contract weight, unless the promoter denies such allowance.

However, the caveat is that most promoters want major title fights to be dead-on weight. Thus, 170 becomes exactly 170 or less.”

3/28/13 3:42 PM
Lazer MMA

Winston Wolf - 
Internettufguy -  When will you fuck nuts understand - the athletic commission sets the rules for fights in their territory. Period. If they say, we don't count decimals and you don't like it, well, how about you fuck off and go fight somewhere else. And don't say this is some new thing, it has been done consistently over the last several events. Where was the outrage over the missing decimals then? Oh, wait, crybaby Diaz and crybaby Diaz fans weren't involved. Get the fuck out of here you morons. Phone Post

paid schill

Well if he is correct and they can say 170.9 is not > 170 that's something. They can really made a fairy tale out of anything if true.

This fish though calling posters Diaz fans though, LOL. Um , no LOL
3/28/13 3:47 PM
Lazer MMA

Curtis I did not fully get you meaning. Let me say you may well be correct first. Let's start here:

Whose (which commissions) rules are these? The layer of Diaz is saying they must be followed.

""In championship fights, the participants must weigh no more than that permitted for the relevant weight division.
http://www.ufc.com/discover/sport/rules-and-regulations

"Section 168 of the Regulation respecting combat sports provides that the maximum weight that a fighter must achieve at the official weigh-in shall be determined in advance by contract - and if the fighter does not make the contracted weight - in this case 170 pounds" http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/3/26/4149886/nick-diazs-camp-to-file-complaint-over-georges-st-pierres-ufc-158>"

3/28/13 3:48 PM
Curtis_E_Bare
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lazer MMA - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
Lazer MMA - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
Lazer MMA - 
RFLAG

You understand that you can see if someone is over 170 or no on a scale correct? WTF R U talking about? Per contract and via rule in a UFC title fight there is a "maximum" of 170 LBS allowed.

170.9 > 170

You seem more familiar with the Quebec AC that I am.  Do they use a scale that shows decimals?  Are the shown to the nearest pound (170), nearest tenth (170.1), nearest hundreth (170.15), nearest thousandth (170.152), or other?

Dude I'm not familiar with anything other than any scale I can imaging being used, the actual rules the local commission were supposed to follow and common sense! I'm telling you if the commission themselves said that they are throwing the decimals out, they had access to them; therefore, "you can see if someone is over 170 or no on a scale (that was used or would be used for any such purpose as weigh in of fighters ANYWHERE)".

Per my comments (let me know if you require the written rules) "In UFC title fight at WW there is a "maximum" of 170 LBS allowed.

170.9 > 170"

There is really nothing to talk about, the local commission did not act as intended by the rules. They acted in an unethical fashion.

Commissions set the rules.  If the UFC/promotions don't like them, they don't have to go there.   Just like when the UFC went to North Carolina years ago and they have a "13 pound rule," meaning no fighter can weigh more than 13 pounds over their weigh in at fight time.  In Vegas, Joe Riggs could weigh in at 200lbs on fight night but in N. Carolina, he would have had to have stayed at 183lbs or under.

That 13lb rule is not a UFC rule.  It's how the N. Carolina commission runs it, that's how it is, and there's no debating it.  If the UFC doesn't like it, they don't have to go there again.  If the fighters don't like it, they don't have to fight there.

All commissions are different.  I can't believe you guys don't understand that by now.

Yes the legal question is if the local commission was free to call 170.9 = 170 when the larger rule governing the the sport (also the commission although not the local one) clearly was saying NO. Correct? or no?

Which "larger rule governing the the sport" are you referring to? The UFC's rules? The UFC is not the sport. The Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts? Those are not nearly as unified as the name might suggest. Japan for example has significant deviations from the unified rules.

If Diaz can win an appeal then perhaps it is not OK for the local AC to set the precision by which they measure weight. But as it stands right now, the ACs have the final say, not the promotions.

At Pride 33 (February 24, 2007 in Las Vegas) did they not use the unified rules (the ones that Nevada follows) and not Pride rules? If memory serves me correctly they did.

The promotion has to play by the ACs rules, not the other way around.
3/28/13 3:48 PM
Lazer MMA

RFLAG, lets see where the above takes us (to Curtis).
3/28/13 3:50 PM
Lazer MMA

Edited: 03/28/13 3:54 PM

Curtis see the post sent to you (last post on last page). Let's take it from there. Quote it when responding TY
3/28/13 4:01 PM
Curtis_E_Bare

Lazer MMA - 
Curtis I did not fully get you meaning. Let me say you may well be correct first. Let's start here:

Whose (which commissions) rules are these? The layer of Diaz is saying they must be followed.

""In championship fights, the participants must weigh no more than that permitted for the relevant weight division.
http://www.ufc.com/discover/sport/rules-and-regulations

"Section 168 of the Regulation respecting combat sports provides that the maximum weight that a fighter must achieve at the official weigh-in shall be determined in advance by contract - and if the fighter does not make the contracted weight - in this case 170 pounds" http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/3/26/4149886/nick-diazs-camp-to-file-complaint-over-georges-st-pierres-ufc-158>"

I agree with those two points. The UFC sets the max weight and the AC ensures it is achieved. The problem is in the how one measures it. As per my posts before, eventually, the ACs must say that's close enough lest they end up chasing that last decimal place forever.

In Nevada 170.01 is close enough, they ignore the 1/100ths position.

Quebec chooses to ignore the 1/10th position, meaning that 170.X is close enough. I have seen no evidence to suggest that the ACs don't get to choose this level of tolerance.

If anyone has links to the Nevada state athletics commission please post them, I have not yet been able to find them. I am interested if they explicitly specify that all weights are to measured to 0.1 lbs, or if that is left open.
3/28/13 4:10 PM
Lazer MMA

Well Curtis it F'in BS but it looks like per our conversation they'll get away with it! I hope the Diaz law suit prevails as clearly 170< 170.9, not to mention we know not even the real weight he was to boot
3/28/13 4:18 PM
clown makeup

Éditeur officiel du Québec

This document has official status

chapter S-3.1, r. 11

Regulation respecting combat sports

An Act respecting safety in sports

WEIGH-INS

73. An official weigh-in shall take place 8 to 30 hours before the bouts begin, in the presence of the opponents and the organizer.

The official weigh-in shall be the responsibility of the person in charge of the sports event.

O.C. 662-95, s. 73; O.C. 392-2004, s. 7.

74. The organizer shall provide a scale having a minimum capacity of 200 kg (440 lbs). The scale shall have graduated readings at each 100 g (3.6 oz) and shall be certified by Measurement Canada.

The scale shall be electronic and of a model approved by the board. The organizer shall adjust the scale at the official weigh-in, in the presence of the person in charge of the sports event.

O.C. 662-95, s. 74.

75. At an official weigh-in, the scale shall be placed on a hard surface.

O.C. 662-95, s. 75.

76. Where the program of a sports event is postponed for a period exceeding 24 hours, the official weigh-in shall be repeated.

O.C. 662-95, s. 76.

77. At an official weigh-in, no time shall be granted to a contestant to enable him to increase or decrease his weight.

O.C. 662-95, s. 77.

3/28/13 4:29 PM
Curtis_E_Bare

clown makeup - 
Éditeur officiel du Québec

This document has official status

chapter S-3.1, r. 11

Regulation respecting combat sports

An Act respecting safety in sports

WEIGH-INS

73. An official weigh-in shall take place 8 to 30 hours before the bouts begin, in the presence of the opponents and the organizer.

The official weigh-in shall be the responsibility of the person in charge of the sports event.

O.C. 662-95, s. 73; O.C. 392-2004, s. 7.

74. The organizer shall provide a scale having a minimum capacity of 200 kg (440 lbs). The scale shall have graduated readings at each 100 g (3.6 oz) and shall be certified by Measurement Canada.

The scale shall be electronic and of a model approved by the board. The organizer shall adjust the scale at the official weigh-in, in the presence of the person in charge of the sports event.

O.C. 662-95, s. 74.

75. At an official weigh-in, the scale shall be placed on a hard surface.

O.C. 662-95, s. 75.

76. Where the program of a sports event is postponed for a period exceeding 24 hours, the official weigh-in shall be repeated.

O.C. 662-95, s. 76.

77. At an official weigh-in, no time shall be granted to a contestant to enable him to increase or decrease his weight.

O.C. 662-95, s. 77.

This is another reason why they probably decided to ignore the last decimal. The tolerance is 3.6 oz - which is 0.225 lbs. Which would raise an interesting scenario if they decided to go with using the decimal.

Let's say, using what I'll call "Vegas" rules GSP or Diaz weighed in at 170.1 lbs. By the very definition stated in the requirements the scale has an error of 0.225 lbs. So even though it reads 170.1 lbs the fighters weight could be anywhere between 169.875 lbs and 170.325. No wonder they decided to give an extra margin for error.

Just for the record, I am not a fan of ignoring the last decimal place. I would like to see a one pound allowance even for title fights. The scale doesn't know it's a title fight and isn't going to work better because of that.

My main participation in these threads to say the ACs are withing there right to do so and doing so doesn't constitute a conspiracy or attempt to cheat.
3/28/13 4:39 PM
hendofanforlife
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guys, it's like gas prices. 169 and 9/10?!?

IT'S ALMOST BUT NOT QUITE A DOLLAR SEVENTY and the consumer sees 169

Illuminati mind control
3/28/13 4:56 PM
clown makeup

GRADUATED READINGS != TOLERANCE

3/28/13 5:17 PM
Curtis_E_Bare

clown makeup - 

GRADUATED READINGS != TOLERANCE

I stand corrected, the tolerance is 1/2 the graduation interval.

Using my previous example - a fighter weighing in and the scale reads 170.1 lbs could have an actual weight anywhere between 169.9875 and 170.2125 lbs using a scale with 3.6 oz graduations.

http://www.regentsprep.org/Regents/math/ALGEBRA/AM3/LError.htm
3/28/13 5:26 PM
SQUEEZIE

Curtis_E_Bare - "and? its still weighs more than the max of 170 on the measuring system they both agreed to use.

most people would obviously consider that to be 170 rather than 171.i still dont see what your trying to point out here though."

The point is someone must eventually say the weight is "close enough" to 170 lbs. That someone is the various ACs. In Las Vegas the AC says 170.0X is close enough in Quebec the AC says 170.X is close enough.

Even if, and there is no evidence to suggest this is true, there were some sort of wording in the UFC-fighter contracts that said it has to be measured to what ever precision (decimal places) the scale happens to have, if the Quebec AC wanted to ignore the last decimal they would simply get scales with no decimals. In the end, they still measure to the position they want.

someone did say what was close enough.they said look at this scale here if the numbers say anything less than 170.0 on there that is close enough. if it says anything more it is not close enough.and they wrote that down for all to see and know.

but they have an off the record unwritten rule that is used when ever they feel like it that says to them as the scale says 170.9 or under we will call it 170.just use a scale with no fucking decimals and tell everyone the deal.

the point is if they would have known before hand it is very well possible they could have said no big deal what ever and this would not be a issue...but they could have also said we would like to use the formal/normal/common weigh in regulations.the ladder is what im sure they thought was happening no matter where they fought.

3/28/13 5:43 PM
Curtis_E_Bare

SQUEEZIE - 
Curtis_E_Bare - "and? its still weighs more than the max of 170 on the measuring system they both agreed to use.

most people would obviously consider that to be 170 rather than 171.i still dont see what your trying to point out here though."

The point is someone must eventually say the weight is "close enough" to 170 lbs. That someone is the various ACs. In Las Vegas the AC says 170.0X is close enough in Quebec the AC says 170.X is close enough.

Even if, and there is no evidence to suggest this is true, there were some sort of wording in the UFC-fighter contracts that said it has to be measured to what ever precision (decimal places) the scale happens to have, if the Quebec AC wanted to ignore the last decimal they would simply get scales with no decimals. In the end, they still measure to the position they want.

someone did say what was close enough.they said look at this scale here if the numbers say anything less than 170.0 on there that is close enough. if it says anything more it is not close enough.and they wrote that down for all to see and know.

but they have an off the record unwritten rule that is used when ever they feel like it that says to them as the scale says 170.9 or under we will call it 170.just use a scale with no fucking decimals and tell everyone the deal.

the point is if they would have known before hand it is very well possible they could have said no big deal what ever and this would not be a issue...but they could have also said we would like to use the formal/normal/common weigh in regulations.the ladder is what im sure they thought was happening no matter where they fought.

You could ask them to buy new scales or put a little piece of black electrical tape over the last digit of the ones they have, if that will make you feel better.

There are no ladders, nor tables or chairs for that matter, this isn't WWE.
3/28/13 5:45 PM
SQUEEZIE

Curtis_E_Bare - 
Lazer MMA - 
Curtis_E_Bare - 
Lazer MMA - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
Lazer MMA - 
RFLAG

170.9 > 170

170.9 > 170"

Except, with respect to how weight is determined, the local ACs determine the rules, not the UFC and there is no rule. So they could not have broken it.

A I posted before - would it make you feel better if they got scales without decimals or put a piece of electrical tape over the last digit of the ones they already used (assuming they were already using ones with a decimal)? Would this be OK because the scale read "170" and not 170.X?

No the local commission acted in bad faith and knows damn well 170.9>170 and was not free to change the clear rule to suit there needs. The UFC does NOT set the rule at all!

Those rules I posted are the commissions own rules which were violated by the local commission.

I've looked through the Quebec AC rules a couple of times and I see no such rule that states what level of tolerance must be achieved. Could you please post the relevant section?
The only part I have seen is that the promotion determines the weight class and the AC ensures it achieved - and the AC determines what level of tolerance is acceptable.

because the scale they agreed upon is being used and does not say 170.01.how hard is that to understand? it will read 170.1 at which point you are over weight. get it? and i know what you are going to say...but but the ac said it was ok in their interpretation of the rules.

then why stop there,they could interpenetrate a lot of rules the way they want to.even though the majority of ac's have set rules already that the masses and majority know about and follow almost all the time except in cases like this for some odd reason.

and all these ac's try to implement the exact same rules to avoid these types of scenarios.

3/28/13 5:49 PM
Curtis_E_Bare

SQUEEZIE - 
Curtis_E_Bare - 
Lazer MMA - 
Curtis_E_Bare - 
Lazer MMA - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
Lazer MMA - 
RFLAG

170.9 > 170

170.9 > 170"

because the scale they agreed upon is being used and does not say 170.01.how hard is that to understand? it will read 170.1 at which point you are over weight. get it? and i know what you are going to say...but but the ac said it was ok in their interpretation of the rules.

then why stop there,they could interpenetrate a lot of rules the way they want to.even though the majority of ac's have set rules already that the masses and majority know about and follow almost all the time except in cases like this for some odd reason.

and all these ac's try to implement the exact same rules to avoid these types of scenarios.

You know what is specified in the Nevada state athletic commission rules? So you've read them? Perfect. If you could provide the link that would be fantastic. I've been wanting to have a look through these since yesterday.

Thanks in advance, that link is much appreciated.
3/28/13 5:57 PM
Curtis_E_Bare

Never mind - I finally found them.

NAC 467.514 Procedure for weigh-in. (NRS 467.030, 467.155)
1. Each unarmed combatant must be weighed in the presence of the public, his or her opponent, a representative of the Commission and an official representing the promoter, on scales approved by the Commission at any place designated by the Commission.
2. The unarmed combatant must have all weights stripped from his or her body before weighing in, but may wear shorts.
3. Representatives of newspapers and the electronic news media who properly identify themselves as such must be admitted to each official weighing in of an unarmed combatant.
4. The owner or operator of the premises in which the weighing in is held shall provide adequate security for the unarmed combatant and other persons who are present.
5. The Commission may require unarmed combatants to be weighed more than once for any cause deemed sufficient by the Commission.
[Athletic Comm’n, § 16, eff. 4-25-78]—(NAC A 12-13-82; 11-2-88; 12-2-97; R083-00, 9-22-2000)

and

1. Except with the approval of the Commission or its Executive Director, the classes for unarmed combatants competing in contests or exhibitions of mixed martial arts and the weights for each class are shown in the following schedule:

Flyweight............................................................................................................ up to 125 lbs.
Bantamweight.......................................................................................... over 125 to 135 lbs.
Featherweight........................................................................................... over 135 to 145 lbs.
Lightweight.............................................................................................. over 145 to 155 lbs.
Welterweight............................................................................................ over 155 to 170 lbs.
Middleweight........................................................................................... over 170 to 185 lbs.
Light Heavyweight................................................................................... over 185 to 205 lbs.
Heavyweight............................................................................................ over 205 to 265 lbs.
Super Heavyweight......................................................................................... all over 265 lbs.

So - Nevada has no rules with respect to what precision or tolerance must be achieved for weigh-ins. Meaning that such decisions are ad hoc, just like Quebec.
3/28/13 6:03 PM
Lazer MMA

It's still a crock of shit to go against the written rules which are clear that I posted bro. Well done though
3/28/13 6:13 PM
SQUEEZIE

Curtis_E_Bare - 
Lazer MMA - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
Lazer MMA - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
Lazer MMA - 
RFLAG

170.9 > 170

170.9 > 170"

Commissions set the rules.  If the UFC/promotions don't like them, they don't have to go there.   Just like when the UFC went to North Carolina years ago and they have a "13 pound rule," meaning no fighter can weigh more than 13 pounds over their weigh in at fight time.  In Vegas, Joe Riggs could weigh in at 200lbs on fight night but in N. Carolina, he would have had to have stayed at 183lbs or under.

That 13lb rule is not a UFC rule.  It's how the N. Carolina commission runs it, that's how it is, and there's no debating it.  If the UFC doesn't like it, they don't have to go there again.  If the fighters don't like it, they don't have to fight there.

All commissions are different.  I can't believe you guys don't understand that by now.

Yes the legal question is if the local commission was free to call 170.9 = 170 when the larger rule governing the the sport (also the commission although not the local one) clearly was saying NO. Correct? or no?

Which "larger rule governing the the sport" are you referring to? The UFC's rules? The UFC is not the sport. The Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts? Those are not nearly as unified as the name might suggest. Japan for example has significant deviations from the unified rules.

If Diaz can win an appeal then perhaps it is not OK for the local AC to set the precision by which they measure weight. But as it stands right now, the ACs have the final say, not the promotions.

At Pride 33 (February 24, 2007 in Las Vegas) did they not use the unified rules (the ones that Nevada follows) and not Pride rules? If memory serves me correctly they did.

The promotion has to play by the ACs rules, not the other way around.

did the Ac tell them their rules are different.or did they give the impression that we will follow your standard procedures/rules.

i highly doubt the ufc would go play with rules they dont like if they could do something about it.im assuming they were under the impression that it was the same as most ac's in the states.or they would have possibly changed the weight on the contracts to suit a standard title fight.like a max of 169 for that particular match.

or maybe they knew and were cool with that.just failed to mention this little detail to people who should know.
3/28/13 6:18 PM
Lazer MMA

Yes it was clear at PRIDe 33 they were playing by the rules of the AC Squeezie per the announcers.
3/28/13 6:19 PM
clown makeup

"The scale [..] shall be certified by Measurement Canada"

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/mc-mc.nsf/eng/home

Measurement Canada is responsible for ensuring the integrity and accuracy of measurement in the Canadian marketplace.

We develop and administer the laws and requirements governing measurement,

Weights and Measures Regulations (C.R.C., c. 1605)

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/C.R.C.,_c._1605/page-75.html

3/28/13 6:25 PM
clown makeup

In the state of New Jersey, which features another influential athletic commission, common practice includes making exact weight (or less) for championship bouts.

Nick Lembo, counsel for the New Jersey Athletic Control Board, said on Tuesday that his agency “will allow one pound over on a contract weight, unless the promoter denies such allowance.

However, the caveat is that most promoters want major title fights to be dead-on weight. Thus, 170 becomes exactly 170 or less.”

In previous UFC events in the state of New Jersey, UFC officials did not request a one-pound allowance for championship bouts, added Lembo.

3/28/13 8:07 PM
Curtis_E_Bare

clown makeup - 

"The scale [..] shall be certified by Measurement Canada"

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/mc-mc.nsf/eng/home

Measurement Canada is responsible for ensuring the integrity and accuracy of measurement in the Canadian marketplace.

We develop and administer the laws and requirements governing measurement,

Weights and Measures Regulations (C.R.C., c. 1605)

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/C.R.C.,_c._1605/page-75.html

Is this directed towards me? If so, for what purpose?

This is Measurement Canada's list of tolerances for standards. Meaning, if you want to buy a certified 1 lbs weight (to calibrate a scale) it has to be 1 lbs within 0.005% of the stated mass. It doesn't mean the scales are required to measure within 0.005% of a pound.

I really do not see how this is relevant. Is someone claiming the balances were not calibrated properly?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.