UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Quebec gives its BS statement re: the GSP weighin

3/26/13 3:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Soup and Beer
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In the end, who gives a shit.  If they would have enforced the no tolerance weight limit, the fight would have been 3 rounds instead of 5.  Diaz would have lost 30-27 instead of 50-45.

3/26/13 3:49 PM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JunkieDog - 
Anderson's BBC in my Goku - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 

So show us Nick's contract where it contradicts what was stated?  If you think it's a big conspiracy that was changed last minute, this should be easy to prove.  All dates, fight purses, weights, and many many other terms are clearly stated in the executed contract between the promotion and fighter.

dont have the bout agreement handy, but im pretty sure it will say the max weight is 170...170.1, 170.2, 170.3 is greater than 170 if you weren't sure...theres nothing in the contract or any law that i am aware of that says decimals dont count..

That's not really the issue, though... it not saying that decimals DON'T count. Does the contract stipulate that decimals DO count? If so, how many decimal's are to be used? 170.1 is greater than 170 just as 170.000000000000001 is greater than 170.

Seems to me if decimals are to count then the contract would be 170.0, clearly informing the fighter that the official weight would be carried out to the tenth pound.

a plain reading of the contract means anything in excess of 170 that is registerable by the scale is not allowed..its very very simple...170.1 is greater than 170.....you have to assume an additional provision into the contract that didnt exist in order for 170.1 NOT to be greater than 170

3/26/13 3:50 PM
Brabatross

Shit thread. Phone Post

Edited: 03/26/13 3:50 PM
Curtis_E_Bare - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 

So show us Nick's contract where it contradicts what was stated?  If you think it's a big conspiracy that was changed last minute, this should be easy to prove.  All dates, fight purses, weights, and many many other terms are clearly stated in the executed contract between the promotion and fighter.

dont have the bout agreement handy, but im pretty sure it will say the max weight is 170...170.1, 170.2, 170.3 is greater than 170 if you weren't sure...theres nothing in the contract or any law that i am aware of that says decimals dont count..

You have to assign a cutoff at some point, scales (like any measuring device) have inherent error. 170.01 is greater than 170 as is 170.001, 170.0001...

It's not that decimals don't count, it's the level of precision that the Quebec athletic commission uses. From everything that has been reported, this level of precision has existed for at least the last five cards.

This is a manufactured issue due to sour grapes.

yeah, the cutoff is whatever the scale registers..if they have a scale that cant accurately weigh things to a decimal point, either they should get a new scale or the scale shouldt read decimals at all

TheOne
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If anyone sees this as a Diaz/GSP issue than youre missing the real concern. The rule, which has been enforced time and time again is that there is no "1 pound allowance" in title fights and yet the QAC bent that rule for the hometown boy.

How is that not a serious issue in a sport that is still relatively in its infancy and cannot afford any impropriety.

There's already people who compare it to the WWE, Pride fixed fights, and now Athletic Commissions are bending the rules for people who happen to be a home town boy? C'mon, this is nigger than Diaz/GSP.
3/26/13 3:53 PM

Dr Doom - Probably shady but it is only 1 pound.

Correct me if I have smoked too much crack today, but I swear that 1-pound rule is around everywhere.

I always see in weigh-in reports Fighter A (170) vs Fighter B (171) and the fight in on without issue.

I have followed the UFC/MMA for about 13 years and can honestly say I have never watched a weigh-in.

Any fan here who hasn't been a lazy fuck for more than a decade that can help me out?

1 lb rule doesnt apply to championship fights (and maybe main event fights as well?)

3/26/13 3:57 PM
nineohfive

fedor_saku_wand - 
nineohfive - Who cares?

Diaz fans will dig for anything. It's funny they can't just listen to him talk after the fight and laugh.

-missed open workouts, got in late. every other fighter from the States made it, but not nick's fault.
-slept till 8pm. wasn't awake yet.
-had no help in training
-felt flat out there, lost 5 rounds but is ready to go now
-gsp's wraps were loaded
-we were lied to about the scale
-gsp hits like a girl, he wants a rematch (2 fight losing streak)

This type of logic is fucking retarded. Diaz did some stupid shit and made excuses, that has nothing to do with this thread.

What happened was really shady and the explanation is just as bad. Read my post above and see if any of those questions were answered.

For the record I didnt care who won, thought it was retarded Diaz got the shot over Hendricks to begin with and just wanted to see a good fight

Dry your eyes clown boy. No foul play here, just Diaz babies (including you)
3/26/13 3:59 PM
epic hero

RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
epic hero - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
epic hero - I'm loving these strawman arguments everybody is spewing out that's completely unrelated to the events that took place

I love watching the Diaz fans scramble because they finally realize it's over.  Prior to this fight, they were all saying how Nick would box him up, and if GSP took it down he'd instantly be submitted.  Now reality is sinking in and they know they will never witness Nick in another UFC title fight, so they resort to all they have left, and it's attacking his opponents who beat him.  Just lilke they did with Diego, Riggs, KJ, Condit, and now GSP.  Never once have they said his opponent was the better fighter or better man that night.  Always excuses and now it's come to an end.  He's 1-2 since coming back to the UFC, a fringe top 10 WW, and of course wants to "retire," which is code for "I know I can't beat these guys."

Exactly what I'm talking about

This makes no sense, the contract states they fight at 170... how is the athletic commission allowed to change that?

Where in the rules does it say that they have this .9 lb allowance?

When did the rules change since they used to round off to the half pound?

Why werent Kos and Condit made aware of this rule when they fought GSP in Montreal?

Why wasnt Diaz told until after he was done cutting weight?

How long has GSP known about this?

^^ This is the shit I'm concerned about(props to fedor_saku_wand for being able to see the big picture unlike many other simpletons), not your personal feelings about a fighter

You're the 2nd person to state exactly what is in Nick Diaz's contract. 

Show us.

I didn't state anything, these are simply the questions that need to be answered and I simply restated fedor_saku_wand's post because he actually gets it.

I could honestly not give a fuck about your personal feelings and I'm intersted in the questions stated above and if you have nothing to add to the discussion there's no point in continuing this conversation, as like I said I'm looking for answers that address the shady shit that transpired behind the scenes
3/26/13 4:00 PM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
411 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheOne - If anyone sees this as a Diaz/GSP issue than youre missing the real concern. The rule, which has been enforced time and time again is that there is no "1 pound allowance" in title fights and yet the QAC bent that rule for the hometown boy.

How is that not a serious issue in a sport that is still relatively in its infancy and cannot afford any impropriety.

There's already people who compare it to the WWE, Pride fixed fights, and now Athletic Commissions are bending the rules for people who happen to be a home town boy? C'mon, this is nigger than Diaz/GSP.
Bigger* Phone Post
3/26/13 4:02 PM
Curtis_E_Bare
245 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JunkieDog - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 

That's not really the issue, though... it not saying that decimals DON'T count. Does the contract stipulate that decimals DO count? If so, how many decimal's are to be used? 170.1 is greater than 170 just as 170.000000000000001 is greater than 170.

Seems to me if decimals are to count then the contract would be 170.0, clearly informing the fighter that the official weight would be carried out to the tenth pound.

a plain reading of the contract means anything in excess of 170 that is registerable by the scale is not allowed..its very very simple...170.1 is greater than 170.....you have to assume an additional provision into the contract that didnt exist in order for 170.1 NOT to be greater than 170

And where would one find this contract? If the contract indeed reads "170" then the precision as written in the contract is to the nearest pound, not the nearest 1/10 pound otherwise it would read "170.0"

3/26/13 4:06 PM
Entreri

So Diaz came in weighting over the limit?

Who cares. 0.9? LOL.

Keep whining.
3/26/13 4:07 PM
Dr Gonzo
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Correct me if I have smoked too much crack today, but I swear that 1-pound rule is around everywhere.

I always see in weigh-in reports Fighter A (170) vs Fighter B (171) and the fight in on without issue.

I have followed the UFC/MMA for about 13 years and can honestly say I have never watched a weigh-in.

Any fan here who hasn't been a lazy fuck for more than a decade that can help me out?

1 lb rule doesnt apply to championship fights (and maybe main event fights as well?)

You seem to be ignoring the second part of this illicit conversation where the UFC rep says that it will be announced as 170 if they are between 170 and 171. But if they are over they would need to make weight and have an hour to do so.

I don't see any proof that GSP was over to begin with.
3/26/13 4:08 PM
Curtis_E_Bare
245 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nick Diaz swallowed some seawater again so the AC decided to cut him a break. What's the big deal?
3/26/13 4:10 PM
herwil10
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/26/13 4:10 PM
I may have missed it, but where is the proof that GSP weighed in over 170 lbs? Has anyone that looked at the scale while he was on it come forward and said it showed 170.9 or something like that?
3/26/13 4:12 PM
Curtis_E_Bare

fedor_saku_wand - 
Curtis_E_Bare - 
JunkieDog - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 

And where would one find this contract? If the contract indeed reads "170" then the precision as written in the contract is to the nearest pound, not the nearest 1/10 pound otherwise it would read "170.0"

Read this article

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/3/26/4149886/nick-diazs-camp-to-file-complaint-over-georges-st-pierres-ufc-158

It states that their contracted weight was 170, nothing over

This just brings us back to the same issue, if it only reads "170" then the implied precision is the nearest pound. Although most ACs go to the nearest 0.1 pound, Quebec does not. Different ACs do things differently.
3/26/13 4:15 PM

Curtis_E_Bare - 
JunkieDog - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 

its not to the nearest pound, its an absolute value. it doesn't have to read 170.0. You are reading a requirement into the contract that doesnt exist.

if an executive has a contract that says that you will be paid a $1M bonus if the company's expenses do not exceed $500,000 and the company comes in at $500,000.01 in expenses. Guess what, $500,000.01 is in excess of $500,000 and you get no bonus.

3/26/13 4:15 PM
CindyO

RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 

Rampage knows his bout agreements:)

Cindy

3/26/13 4:16 PM

Dr Gonzo - 

You seem to be ignoring the second part of this illicit conversation where the UFC rep says that it will be announced as 170 if they are between 170 and 171. But if they are over they would need to make weight and have an hour to do so.

I don't see any proof that GSP was over to begin with.

huh? im just responding to his post and clarifying that there is no 1 lb allowance for a championship fight.

3/26/13 4:17 PM
epic hero

RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
epic hero - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
epic hero - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
epic hero - I'm loving these strawman arguments everybody is spewing out that's completely unrelated to the events that took place

I love watching the Diaz fans scramble because they finally realize it's over.  Prior to this fight, they were all saying how Nick would box him up, and if GSP took it down he'd instantly be submitted.  Now reality is sinking in and they know they will never witness Nick in another UFC title fight, so they resort to all they have left, and it's attacking his opponents who beat him.  Just lilke they did with Diego, Riggs, KJ, Condit, and now GSP.  Never once have they said his opponent was the better fighter or better man that night.  Always excuses and now it's come to an end.  He's 1-2 since coming back to the UFC, a fringe top 10 WW, and of course wants to "retire," which is code for "I know I can't beat these guys."

Exactly what I'm talking about

This makes no sense, the contract states they fight at 170... how is the athletic commission allowed to change that?

Where in the rules does it say that they have this .9 lb allowance?

When did the rules change since they used to round off to the half pound?

Why werent Kos and Condit made aware of this rule when they fought GSP in Montreal?

Why wasnt Diaz told until after he was done cutting weight?

How long has GSP known about this?

^^ This is the shit I'm concerned about(props to fedor_saku_wand for being able to see the big picture unlike many other simpletons), not your personal feelings about a fighter

You're the 2nd person to state exactly what is in Nick Diaz's contract. 

Show us.

I didn't state anything, these are simply the questions that need to be answered and I simply restated fedor_saku_wand's post because he actually gets it.

I could honestly not give a fuck about your personal feelings and I'm intersted in the questions stated above and if you have nothing to add to the discussion there's no point in continuing this conversation, as like I said I'm looking for answers that address the shady shit that transpired behind the scenes

"This makes no sense...the contract states they fight at 170."

Show us

"I didn't state anything."

Ya, I can see how you'd confuse that for personal feelings, fucking idiot.

How about you show us, Mr. Strawman
IIAces

BernardHopkins - gsp cut the most he possibly could and weighed in at 170.7

biggest cut of his career, which is why he gassed in the 3rd

he got down to 171 and refused to cut the last pound, and he runs his country...so yea.

This. Everyone thinks he will fight Hendricks. But he wants a little lay off. He will be fighting Silva after he defends his belt. He's that big because that will be his next fight. Phone Post
GaryColeman

Being lathered in grease probably added a few pounds too. Phone Post
3/26/13 4:18 PM

Curtis_E_Bare - 
fedor_saku_wand - 
Curtis_E_Bare - 
JunkieDog - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 

Read this article

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/3/26/4149886/nick-diazs-camp-to-file-complaint-over-georges-st-pierres-ufc-158

This just brings us back to the same issue, if it only reads "170" then the implied precision is the nearest pound. Although most ACs go to the nearest 0.1 pound, Quebec does not. Different ACs do things differently.

wrong..there is no implied precision to the nearest pound..u are totally just making that up..also nearest lb for 170.6 is 171 anyways so you would be wrong even if your imaginary rule of contractual interpretation applied

3/26/13 4:19 PM

CindyO - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 

Rampage knows his bout agreements:)

Cindy

what are you implying? that it doesnt state that the max weight is 170?  what does it say about weight then?

3/26/13 4:20 PM

here is an example of a UFC bout agreement...seems pretty explicit to me

3/26/13 4:23 PM

fedor_saku_wand - 
Curtis_E_Bare - 
fedor_saku_wand - 
Curtis_E_Bare - 
JunkieDog - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 

Read this article

Where are you getting this info? Ive never heard of fighters being able to weigh in at 171.1 for a non title fight or 170.1 for a title.

Ive heard fighters get called out .1 over and they had to take their shorts off to make it

hes making it up..

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.