UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Study shows decrease in brain size after 5 years

3/27/13 4:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
KevinMcAllister
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TzTinkle -
KevinMcAllister -  Getting hit in the head repeatedly will causes damage in the long run, be it MMA, boxing, football, hockey, anything. Guys in soccer have shown brain damage due to the amount of headers they do.

Which one is "safer" is irrelevant, they all can lead to the same outcome.

That said, these are grown men, and they know the risks. Morecraft and Konrad got out early, they have a choice. Nobody forces them to fight. Also in a few years we will see the effects of guys who got out late. Phone Post

Listen to wand now...he has that punchy low voice like james toney. MMA can be safer depending on how you train, think about hammer house vs chute boxe. The majority of damage is done in the gym not the ring.
Ok, but falling down the stairs is safer than a car accident, but both can mess you up.

MMA fighters are extremely susceptible to long term brain injuries, whether it safer than other sports or not. Damage may be more prevalent in the gym, but having your lights shut off in a fight, and then taking more blows while you are already unconscious is incredibly damaging. Taking a full on kick to the head does serious damage to the brain, just one of them. Most other sports don't have that kind if instant trauma. When you are out cold in other sports, that's it. In MMA, there's a good chance you will take another 3-4 heavy blows while already out. It comes with the territory, but it's a reality.

And Coleman and Baroni sound pretty punchy these days also from the Hammer House crew. it's a shame but we will see more of it as the years pass. Phone Post
3/27/13 4:22 AM
Stone Rolled
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jiujitsufigher7 - This is why I don't believe Jon Jones or Vitor Belfort are christians. You can't be a christian and beat somebody up causing them brain damage, or risk yourself taking a beating and brain damage to yourself. The body is the temple of the holy spirit. You don't destroy your body or your opponent's body. The fact that Vitor Belfort and Jon Jones don't even admit fighting another human being for money is the equivalent of prostituting your body goes to prove neither of these fighters is a christian. Don't get me wrong we all sin, and fall short of the glory of God. There will be prostitutes in heaven for sure, but the ones that are going to be in heaven are those that have repented of their sin and trusted Jesus Christ, and this starts by recognizing prostitution (or fighting for money) is a sinful act. I've never heard Johnny Bones Jones or Vitor Belfort say anything about fihgting being highly sinful and an abomination to in God's eyes. So both fighters haven't repented of their sin. I'm not picking on Jones and Belfort, I'm sure there are many other fighters that claim to be christian that are not, however these two are the most well known hypocrites that claim to be christian.

Prostitution is prostitution, not fighting. Stop blatantly misinterpreting the bible. Only God sees the heart. None of us can see another person's heart. Let God be the judge. God can tell if they are christians. I don't see that fighting is "highly sinful".

Psalms 144:1 "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

I see both men glorifying God in their positions as famous fighters, in particular Vitor.
3/27/13 5:50 AM
ihitpeople
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA fighters may take less damage, but they cut an ungodly amount water. A dehydrated brain is easier to damage.

But then again, one head kick( about three times as heavy as a punch) can cause permanent damage.
3/27/13 11:48 AM
TexDeuce
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Everyone knows the risks. Same as everyone that plays football knows they might get paralyzed. The same as people in the military know if they go outside the wire they have a chance of getting killed.

A lot of jobs/sports have risk. It is up to you how much you want to take on.

Also, I have no doubt boxers are in FAR WORSE shape than MMA guys. Especially the guys from a wrestling or BJJ background. Boxing is probably the absolute worst sport in the world for your brain. But I don't think it should be banned.
3/27/13 12:08 PM
eljamaiquino

David Mortensen -
PirateJax - I am curious what their health controls will end up being. One could argue that these differences, even if they were longitudinal, are the result of lifestyle rather than head trauma(Not saying this is the case, but for arguments sake...). They need a control group that represents a similar level of athletic dedication and fear-conquering, minus the head trauma. Sport BJJ competitors would make a good control I think, and if you added just runners or something you could see if getting choked out also has any long lasting effects on the brain.

Also it should be relatively easy to correlate number of KO's to any regional changes in brain volume.

I thought the same thing about chokes, not to mention throws or the inadvertant hits you take from your rolling partner or someone rolling near you.  While I highly doubt the trauma would be equivalent with blunt force head trauma like in boxing/mma, depriving the brain of oxygen could potentially affect the development and maintenance of the brain.  I would assume that the brain would direct blood and oxygen toward mission critical functions immediately and wait for the ancillary functions (critical thinking type stuff) until it had recovered. 

I've been choked unconcious before and when i woke up i immediately started trying to grapple my partner, but i recall not knowing where i was, what happened, what i was doing etc.  Very similar to being concussed.  It passed withing a few seconds, but I have to think that repeating this would not be good for my health.

Studies have been done on Judo competitors on chokes. No lasting damage shown. Bjj players may get choked more often though. . Phone Post
3/27/13 12:13 PM
eljamaiquino

smoogy - Are there any studies on the effects of having the carotid arteries crushed closed hundreds of times over the span of an MMA career?

I used to sort of buy into the idea that MMA is a "safer" combat sport compared to boxing. I don't think that argument has much of a leg to stand on these days though. The KO rate in MMA is severe beyond belief. Compared to boxing, it seems like many more MMA fighters are getting knocked completely unconscious per capita.
No 10 count in mma. Guy gets knocked stupid, fight over. In boxing a guy gets koed, wakes up at 5, stands back up, gets koed again, wakes at 6, finishes the 12 round. But he was never "KOED", yeah right...... Phone Post
3/27/13 12:41 PM
TexDeuce
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have never seen evidence of people being hurt long term by being choked too much. Is there any? I doubt it. Phone Post
3/27/13 12:53 PM
KingInFishnetsBottomingBetas

eljamaiquino - 
smoogy - Are there any studies on the effects of having the carotid arteries crushed closed hundreds of times over the span of an MMA career?

I used to sort of buy into the idea that MMA is a "safer" combat sport compared to boxing. I don't think that argument has much of a leg to stand on these days though. The KO rate in MMA is severe beyond belief. Compared to boxing, it seems like many more MMA fighters are getting knocked completely unconscious per capita.
No 10 count in mma. Guy gets knocked stupid, fight over. In boxing a guy gets koed, wakes up at 5, stands back up, gets koed again, wakes at 6, finishes the 12 round. But he was never "KOED", yeah right...... Phone Post

Hmm what's safer? 10 count? Or a guy eating 10 shots when he's asleep?
3/27/13 12:54 PM
jiujitsufigher7

Stone Rolled - 
jiujitsufigher7 - This is why I don't believe Jon Jones or Vitor Belfort are christians. You can't be a christian and beat somebody up causing them brain damage, or risk yourself taking a beating and brain damage to yourself. The body is the temple of the holy spirit. You don't destroy your body or your opponent's body. The fact that Vitor Belfort and Jon Jones don't even admit fighting another human being for money is the equivalent of prostituting your body goes to prove neither of these fighters is a christian. Don't get me wrong we all sin, and fall short of the glory of God. There will be prostitutes in heaven for sure, but the ones that are going to be in heaven are those that have repented of their sin and trusted Jesus Christ, and this starts by recognizing prostitution (or fighting for money) is a sinful act. I've never heard Johnny Bones Jones or Vitor Belfort say anything about fihgting being highly sinful and an abomination to in God's eyes. So both fighters haven't repented of their sin. I'm not picking on Jones and Belfort, I'm sure there are many other fighters that claim to be christian that are not, however these two are the most well known hypocrites that claim to be christian.

Prostitution is prostitution, not fighting. Stop blatantly misinterpreting the bible. Only God sees the heart. None of us can see another person's heart. Let God be the judge. God can tell if they are christians. I don't see that fighting is "highly sinful".

Psalms 144:1 "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

I see both men glorifying God in their positions as famous fighters, in particular Vitor.

There's a difference between being a soldier and defending your country (or the people of God) as you quote David in Psalms 144:1 and being a prize fighter for entertainment of the crowds. Prize fighting were you sell your body to entertain people and in the process you sustain brain injuries or cause brain injury to an opponent in exchange for money can be compared to prostitution, in that both professions abuse their bodies which are the temple of the holy spirit in exchange for money. Bear in mind the purpose of prize fighting is to hurt your opponent physically, no man can glorify God in such activity. And neither can prostitutes in their trade, both prize fighting and prostitution have in common the selling of your body for profit in order to entertain somebody.
3/27/13 9:15 PM
Stone Rolled
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jiujitsufigher7 - 
Stone Rolled - 

There's a difference between being a soldier and defending your country (or the people of God) as you quote David in Psalms 144:1 and being a prize fighter for entertainment of the crowds. Prize fighting were you sell your body to entertain people and in the process you sustain brain injuries or cause brain injury to an opponent in exchange for money can be compared to prostitution, in that both professions abuse their bodies which are the temple of the holy spirit in exchange for money. Bear in mind the purpose of prize fighting is to hurt your opponent physically, no man can glorify God in such activity. And neither can prostitutes in their trade, both prize fighting and prostitution have in common the selling of your body for profit in order to entertain somebody.

I understand where you're coming from. But there's a clear distinction between MMA and prostitution.

I Corinthians 6:15-17 Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Should I therefore take the members of Christ and make them members of a prostitute? Never!Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, “The two will become one flesh.” But whoever is united with the Lord is one with him in spirit.

You can tell the difference between sex with a prostitute and fighting. Can't you? The distinction is clear in the bible. You may believe MMA is a sin, but don't lump it in the same category as prostitution.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.