UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC 158 To Top 1 Million Buys?

3/27/13 2:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chris27
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/3/27/4152972/ufc-158-ppv-buy-number-gsp-diaz

Last week, Bloody Elbow passed along the information (via Dave Meltzer of MMA Fighting) that early estimates of the UFC 158 buyrate were in the 800,000 range. That was drawn mostly on the back of the main event fight between the company's top draw Georges St. Pierre and the enigmatic Nick Diaz. But according to at least one other MMA reporter, the number could be much higher.

Yahoo Sports writer Kevin Iole was asked on Facebook what the buyrate was for the show, and he responded with this nugget of information:

"A bit under 1.1 million."

That's obviously a huge jump from the number Meltzer originally reported. It has been a week since Dave's original report though, and he did specifically say that the buyrate "will top 800k", so it's still technically correct. He might have more updated numbers now, but nothing has been released as of the time of this writing.

So what does that mean? Well, it probably means that Nick Diaz is a bigger draw than most expected, and a lot of people bought into the hype down the stretch. The last card to get one million buys was UFC 148, where Anderson Silva met Chael Sonnen for the second time. If UFC 158 did indeed break a million, it would be the eighth UFC card overall to hit that number.

It should also be noted that the UFC doesn't release their official numbers, so this is all based on what industry sources have to say.
3/27/13 2:26 PM
Card
1907 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

G$P

3/27/13 2:28 PM
BrattMamley
1023 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3/27/13 2:34 PM
ShoeMoney
271 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Buy my book!, MFCEO
GrandfatherJesus - Nick probably gets a PPV cut right?
I hope he pays his taxes, buys a new honda, and house.

I would be stunned if he did not.  I bet he got several million dollars.  IMO he's worth it and did a great job selling the fight whether you like him or not.

Wolf Ticket PPV's 4tw.

3/27/13 2:36 PM
BrattMamley
1023 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any chance this is part of the Fox effect? More people getting into the sport? Or is that just wishful thinking?

3/27/13 2:37 PM
PrestigeWorldwide
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Even as a hardcore fan of mma I have to pick and choose which ppv's I purchase. My wife cut me off when one month I had two ufc ppv's, a Paq fight, and Sunday nfl ticket. Cable bill was over $400.

This was one of the ppv's I refused to miss. Id imagine others were in my situation as well so 1 mil buys doesn't sound too unreasonable for me. Phone Post
3/27/13 2:38 PM
Condit's Face Broke My Hand
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RampageFitsLikeAGlove -
Doctor NPD - Nick Diaz isn't a bigger draw than expected. GSP will always drawing in viewers and added grudge match qualities helped. Interesting numbers considering the lack of advertisement for the event

THis....lets have Nick headline a card versus Woodley and see how many PPV buys he draws. 

Also, what ever happened with the Rousey PPV results?  Posters were pulling out the "told you so" after the card regarding the card's buyrate but I never heard anything semi-official.

Who cares how he would do selling a ppv by himself? GSP is obviously the main draw, and Diaz was able to push his ppv buys even higher by a decent margin. It's pretty obvious why GSP wanted to fight him instead of Hendricks. Phone Post
3/27/13 2:40 PM
PrestigeWorldwide
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doctor NPD - Nick Diaz isn't a bigger draw than expected. GSP will always drawing in viewers and added grudge match qualities helped. Interesting numbers considering the lack of advertisement for the event
Well the media call alone did over 100k views on YouTube. I think GSP vs Condit did 25k.

There was a lot of buzz for this fight. Phone Post
3/27/13 2:41 PM
Chris27

Nick has a PPV deal and def made 7 figures for this fight.

Even if we go by the alvarez PPV deal which may be standard for everyone, doubtful, Silva/GSP etc probably have different deals and Nick might as well but if we go by that the PPV money alone for a million buy show would be 1.6 mill.

So figure Diaz made atleast 2 mill for that fight.
3/27/13 2:55 PM
epwar
648 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/27/13 2:55 PM
The last card to get one million buys was UFC 148, where Anderson Silva met Chael Sonnen for the second time. 

That card didn't do over 1 million.  It did 925,000.

3/27/13 2:59 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
451 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

epwar - 
The last card to get one million buys was UFC 148, where Anderson Silva met Chael Sonnen for the second time. 

That card didn't do over 1 million.  It did 925,000.

Yup

3/27/13 3:01 PM
451 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris27 - Nick has a PPV deal and def made 7 figures for this fight.

Even if we go by the alvarez PPV deal which may be standard for everyone, doubtful, Silva/GSP etc probably have different deals and Nick might as well but if we go by that the PPV money alone for a million buy show would be 1.6 mill.

At least 2 million?!  I seriously doubt that.

3/27/13 3:04 PM
Chris27

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh - 

Doubt what?

Going by Eddie Alvarez PPV deal which I assume Nick got either the same kind of deal or more that alone would be 1.6 mill, add in his salary and sponsors, yeah 2 mill is likely, probably more.
3/27/13 3:09 PM

Chris27 - 

Doubt what?

Going by Eddie Alvarez PPV deal which I assume Nick got either the same kind of deal or more that alone would be 1.6 mill, add in his salary and sponsors, yeah 2 mill is likely, probably more.

You can't assume he got the same deal as Alvarez.  Diaz was already part of the Zuffa family, whereas Alvarez wasn't and UFC was trying to make him an offer than Bellator couldn't match, hence the lucrative PPV points deal.

I would say his salary was $200k, he made $200-300k from PPV points, and another $100k from sponsorships.

He probably made $500-600k.

3/27/13 3:11 PM
Condit's Face Broke My Hand
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RampageFitsLikeAGlove -
Condit's Face Broke My Hand - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove -
Doctor NPD - Nick Diaz isn't a bigger draw than expected. GSP will always drawing in viewers and added grudge match qualities helped. Interesting numbers considering the lack of advertisement for the event

THis....lets have Nick headline a card versus Woodley and see how many PPV buys he draws. 

Also, what ever happened with the Rousey PPV results?  Posters were pulling out the "told you so" after the card regarding the card's buyrate but I never heard anything semi-official.

Who cares how he would do selling a ppv by himself? GSP is obviously the main draw, and Diaz was able to push his ppv buys even higher by a decent margin. It's pretty obvious why GSP wanted to fight him instead of Hendricks. Phone Post

It's very obvious why GSP took the DIaz fight.  He wanted the easy fight that turned out exactly as we all knew it would.

Regarding the PPV buys, GSP has average 795,000 buys over his last 5 fights (taking out the Lesnar fight as that would push it way higher) and 4.5 years.  Initial reports were this was around 800,000 buys, so his average.  And I'll take Meltzers word over Iole's anyday when it comes to PPV buys.

The easier fight and quite a bit more money Phone Post
3/27/13 3:12 PM
Letibleu
1654 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would be surprised if Nick's final payday number was less than the PPV buys.

3/27/13 3:26 PM
Rees23
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silva vs Sonnen 2 had LOADS more Zuffa promotion behind it than GSP vs Diaz - if 158 gets even close to it that should be seen as a huge achievement!
3/27/13 4:26 PM
Lun8
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Impressive numbers. Diaz and Gsp both contributed to these buys Phone Post
3/27/13 4:33 PM
slamming

Chris27 - Nick has a PPV deal and def made 7 figures for this fight.

I'd agree he definitely made in that ballpark. Phone Post
3/27/13 5:13 PM
Chris27

RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
Chris27 - 

Doubt what?

Why would you assume Nick's contract is bigger than Alvarez's?  UFC didn't have to entice Nick and beat out Strikeforce.  They owned his contract once they bought the promotion.  The only reason Alvarez and Lombard are seeing that kind of money is because the UFC went over the top where they knew Bellator wouldn't match.

Nick was clearly not on a PPV structure schedule with SF so if they restructured when he came to the UFC, the amount is all speculation.  He prob got paid $1M for the fight, which is still very good.

They gave Nick a new deal when he came to the UFC.

http://www.fightofthenight.com/news/nick-diaz-signs-new-contract-to-fight-for-strikeforce-and-the-ufc-but-no-boxing/

Plus when he was gonna fight GSP and the fight got pulled multiple sites/journalists said hew as losing out on a 2 mill plus payday.
3/27/13 5:42 PM
Entreri

G$P indeed.

1.1 million. That is a very high number given the lack of advertising.

Dana's face must look like the Joker's hearing this on March 16th.
3/27/13 6:26 PM
Filo_Beto

RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
Chris27 - 

Doubt what?

Why would you assume Nick's contract is bigger than Alvarez's?  UFC didn't have to entice Nick and beat out Strikeforce.  They owned his contract once they bought the promotion.  The only reason Alvarez and Lombard are seeing that kind of money is because the UFC went over the top where they knew Bellator wouldn't match.

Nick was clearly not on a PPV structure schedule with SF so if they restructured when he came to the UFC, the amount is all speculation.  He prob got paid $1M for the fight, which is still very good.

Because many fighters renogotiate their contract when they are fighting for the belt.

As much as I like alvarez there is no way he has a better contract then nick.
3/27/13 6:31 PM
HandyDarsh
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love how fast people are to state Diaz had nothing to do with these numbers being so high.

Diaz haters are just as annoying as the "nut huggers"

THE MATCHUP SOLD WELL, end of story. Phone Post
3/27/13 6:42 PM
xsrg95
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Diaz told the homies to buy PPV

3/27/13 6:50 PM
Mexican Janitor
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People tuned in to see GSP's "dark side" and "the worst beating in UFC history". Not too many casual and non-MMA fans gave a fuck about Nick Diaz. GSP is such an overwhelming star here, ppl I know that don't even watch UFC will watch his fights all the hardcore MMA community and you got up to a million buys. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.