UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> PA Commissioner: Amateur MMA is 'a mess'

3/27/13 5:02 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Greg Sirb, who has served as executive director of the Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission since 1990, has taken a look at the regulation of amateur MMA, and he is not happy:

The AMATEUR MMA situation in the States is a “”MESS”

In a simple review of the records just within the past six months I have documented over (60) amateur MMA fighters who were TKO/KO by strikes yet received NO suspension – of these (60) – 37 of them had NO MMA ID – so how do we even know who they are ? – I think it would be very easy for an amateur fighter to by KO’d then just turn around the very next day and fight again using a different name – WHO would KNOW ?

There are currently 12 states where amateur MMA is legal but not regulated:
Below is a listing of the # of Bouts in each of these states:
 Montana= 0 bouts
S. Dakota=0 buts
Michigan=108 bouts
Illinois=86 bouts
Alabama=11 bouts
Virginia=47 bouts
Vermont=31 bouts
N Hampshire=0 bouts
Alaska=0 bouts
Massachusetts=0 bouts
Missouri=304 bouts
Tennessee=25 bouts
New York =30 bouts (although  Amateur MMA is NOT legal)

**So we have 642 amateur bouts ( just so far in 2013) that have NO State Commission regulation – which in many cases means NO medical suspensions – NO MMA ID cards  - this is a SCARY SITUATION

Three possible solutions:
1.       Have all states/tribes that allow Amateur MMA regulate it
2.       If the Commission cannot get regulation authority than amateur MMA in that state should be banned
3.       The formation of a National amateur MMA Association 

Gregory P. Sirb
PA. State Athletic Commission
Harrisburg, PA. 17110

3/27/13 5:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MMASMG
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Almost everyone I know who fights in PA goes to Virginia to fight because it more like pro style rules. I have fought multiple times in Virginia to get MMA experience not a wrestling match which almost always happens in the ammys.
3/27/13 5:26 PM
fullofbsx2
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sirb is a douche with small man syndrome Phone Post
3/27/13 5:31 PM
Jake Smash
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I live in PA but refuse to fight amateur in this state or in NJ. Not only is amateur mma a mess, but the rules make it so that it is barely an MMA fight at all. Phone Post
3/27/13 5:51 PM
Kirik
1678 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor
fullofbsx2 -  Sirb is a douche with small man syndrome Phone Post

Argument ad hominem reflects poorly on the person making the charge. Greg is actually one of the best regulators in the world.

3/27/13 5:59 PM
Seats Taken
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMASMG - Almost everyone I know who fights in PA goes to Virginia to fight because it more like pro style rules. I have fought multiple times in Virginia to get MMA experience not a wrestling match which almost always happens in the ammys.
This. Phone Post
3/27/13 8:42 PM
MMASMG
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

With that said I know Serb is well respected in the boxing and MMA community and is a major player in making the sport more legitimate across the states. I believe ammy rules in PA are in for a few changes thanks to Sirb.
3/27/13 8:45 PM
Ryan Wood
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"3. The formation of a National amateur MMA Association "

That would be a pretty great step forward, wouldn't it?
3/27/13 9:37 PM
powerbombu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Greg serb does not have a legit mma commission. I'm a pro fighter and he wanted me to beat up on some amatuers. This has nothing to do with mma and has everything to do with creating revenue. Fuck mma if he has anything to do with it.
3/27/13 9:41 PM
powerbombu

The reason mma can be safer is with competent refs who step in knowing when a fighter is hurt. As soon as a fighter is hurt a ref who is knowledgable and has competed should know when to step in when a fighter gets koed, or submitted.
3/27/13 10:03 PM
GooseLeeMMA

Uhh lol ..... I'm a matchmaker for a pa promotion and a fighter so I know Greg well. Pa ammy rules are in for a change the vote will be soon but as far as Sirb having a pro beat up some amateurs I highly doubt it. Phone Post
3/27/13 10:03 PM
powerbombu

I emailed several promotions and got a fight in Locked in the cage, at the same time two days later KOTC offered me a fight. So they offered me 1,000 to show and 1,000 to win, I believe and I took the locked in the cage fight even though Kotc was going to pay me more because I got a response first. I agreed to the bout, and have gotten all my medicals done and all the forms completed. I mentioned on sherdog about a fight being rigged( shogun and the machida fight). Suddenly, the next day the promoter emails me and said that Greg sirb, said that I should fight amateur, knowing full well that a professional fighter cannot fight an amatuer fighter because it is against the LAW. I dont know if I have the email right now, or not but that is what happened. He made me lose a lot of money and a lot of time because I trained a lot at the time. I was doing mma off and on since I was 11 years old. Fuck him. The people who placed silver and gold in grapplers quest in pennsylvania, I beat them regurely at the gym I used to train at. So, basically he wants me to beat on amatuers for free, knowing i'm a pro who fights for money. He is risking the health of amatuers putting professionals who at the time like myself where training full time. I'm glad he is not the main commissioner anymore. I dont care about competing anymore as a pro, but I am competing in grappling tournaments soon, and maybe i'll sue his ass for trying to ruin my career. But mostly likely not cause i'm not an asshole like him.
3/27/13 10:05 PM
GooseLeeMMA

The only way you would have been asked to fight a amateur is if it was your pro debut and he didnt want to approve you pro. If you had at least 1 pro fight then i don't care what you say he said your so full of shit it's not even funny Phone Post
3/27/13 10:09 PM
powerbombu

Yeah i'm sure I am, if I am full of shit get your best amatuers in pa and I'll grapple them in front of the entire UG and underground. And post the vids on youtube. You would see a big difference between a pro and an amateur.
3/27/13 10:12 PM
GooseLeeMMA

What's your name? Lets see how much of a badass you are Phone Post
3/27/13 10:23 PM
powerbombu

I'm not claiming to be a badass, I thought you would know who I am, considering Greg sirb said that i am full of shit. My name is DK.

3/27/13 10:25 PM
abick23
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

powerbombu - Yeah i'm sure I am, if I am full of shit get your best amatuers in pa and I'll grapple them in front of the entire UG and underground. And post the vids on youtube. You would see a big difference between a pro and an amateur.
Your out of this world , sirb may have issues but he would never put a pro against ammys , pa is one the best states for pro MMA and I am glad I am a part of it , now get the Fuck out of here Phone Post
3/27/13 10:29 PM
powerbombu

If he so great, why does he have corruption charges? Abick you want to be the first person I grapple with?
3/27/13 10:31 PM
abick23
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What corruption charges? And I am pro bud so let's go Phone Post
3/27/13 10:31 PM
GooseLeeMMA

Thank god I'm not the only one that thinks this guys a retard. Ill grapple your pathetic ass Phone Post
3/27/13 10:32 PM
GooseLeeMMA

I'm a 0-1 pro with ok jits. I ain't scared homie Phone Post
3/27/13 10:34 PM
powerbombu

alright lets go then. email me at preymantis4@yahoo.com and we will set it up
3/27/13 10:36 PM
abick23

powerbombu - alright lets go then. email me at preymantis4@yahoo.com and we will set it up
Where do you even live ?? And what point do you think you are going to prove ? Phone Post
3/27/13 10:39 PM
powerbombu

maryland. right next to pa.
3/27/13 10:39 PM
GooseLeeMMA

I'm with abick. Probably not even a pa guy. Pissed off Sirb wouldn't allow him to fight pro here Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.