UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Weidman waiting for Silva win to sign new contract

3/27/13 10:55 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

It is pretty common for most UFC athletes to sign a new contract with the organization before their first big title fight. A new contract usually comes with a pay raise for being the number one contender and outlines his pay structure going forward as champion, should he win.

Chris Weidman on the other hand is confident in his ability to win and will wait after his title bout with Anderson Silva before signing a new contract. The move is risky: If he loses he may not get the same kind of pay day he would have in the title, but if he wins he's a strong negotiation position as the UFC champion. Weidman elaborated on his decision to MMAJunkie Radio:

"I think we're just going to keep the contract," Weidman told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "I'm definitely OK with making what I was making. I think I was making $24,000 (to show) and $24,000 (to win). I want to do that because then after I beat Anderson like I plan on doing, then obviously the contract will jump up more than if I was to rip up the contract now. I'm ready to put all my eggs in one basket and put my money where my mouth is."

It's a bold statement for the 28-year-old New Yorker. After all, with just nine career bouts to his name, Weidman's critics have wondered whether or not he's even deserving of a chance to step in the cage with the sport's top pound-for-pound fighter. But Weidman believes he's made each of those nine appearances count, taking on the biggest challenges available at each step along the way.

"People say I don't have that many fights, which is true, but I've never had an easy fight," Weidman said. "Even when I was in Ring of Combat, we always wanted to get the best guys because I wanted to get that experience. Guys like Uriah Hall, who's coming up 'The Ultimate Fighter,' I fought that guy in my third fight.

read entire article...

3/27/13 10:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hocky Balboa
8009 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bold move.

Good for him for taking the gamble. Phone Post
3/27/13 11:00 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
449 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This just shows how much confidence he has.  I really think he's the man to beat Silva.

3/27/13 11:05 PM
10er4life
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like him so much more now. I hope the UFC pays him big regardless of the outcome of the title fight. Phone Post
OzMafioso
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris is a badass muthafucka... Phone Post
Hocky Balboa
8009 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh -

This just shows how much confidence he has.  I really think he's the man to beat Silva.

Kinda reminds me of when Lincoln Hawk took all of his money and bet on himself in "Over The Top."

*turns hat backwards* Phone Post
3/27/13 11:09 PM
3 Sided Square
403 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I highly doubt he makes weight with balls that big. Phone Post
3/27/13 11:11 PM
GROUNDnLB
425 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS FIGHT! I need to hibernate until the card. It's so difficult to search news on the site, since anything remotely relatives to the fight makes me think of it again and time goes soooooo slow! Phone Post
3/27/13 11:13 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
449 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hocky Balboa - 

Kinda reminds me of when Lincoln Hawk took all of his money and bet on himself in "Over The Top."

I'm not familiar enough with Stallone movies to get the reference, but I'm sure it was fitting.

3/27/13 11:13 PM
TheoBrixton

Definitely playing a game of roulette here, but I can't think of a much better bargaining chip while negotiating a new contract than a win over the (arguably) greatest of all time.
3/27/13 11:14 PM
Pessimist_Pete

I fucking love this guy. Phone Post
3/27/13 11:14 PM
NomoRomophobia
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A gambler!
That may prove to be a fantastic move. Phone Post
3/27/13 11:17 PM
Carl Sonnen

Good tactic, psychologically. He has prepared his mind to win. Gotta like this guy's confidence.
3/27/13 11:18 PM
Matrixkick
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's gonna shock the world!

I've got a 6 month on it! I have all the confidence in the world that he's the man to do the impossible.

Please just be a good fight... :D Phone Post
3/27/13 11:21 PM
OCMikelob
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hocky Balboa -

One of my fav movies Phone Post
3/27/13 11:23 PM
nostripewhite

Shit, he's still going to make 25 grand, minimum. That's pretty fucking good.
3/27/13 11:30 PM
Hocky Balboa

OCMikelob -
Hocky Balboa -

Meet me halfway...across the sky! Phone Post
3/27/13 11:38 PM
Matrixkick
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hocky Balboa -
OCMikelob -
Hocky Balboa -

Meet me halfway...across the sky! Phone Post

EPIC movie! Phone Post
3/27/13 11:40 PM
Chomas
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not too bright of Weidman. Phone Post
3/27/13 11:41 PM
TheIronCodpiece
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's gunna be feeling real silly when he gets run over by Silva. Though, much respect for the balls it takes to do that

3/27/13 11:58 PM
ortman166

Ballsy move. But it's a mistake IMO. Phone Post
3/28/13 12:23 AM
KrisDonahoo
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ortman166 - Ballsy move. But it's a mistake IMO. Phone Post
This. I haven't cared for much of Weidman's commentary up until now, but I respect his confidence if nothing else. Regardless, he's just the next victim. Phone Post
3/28/13 12:33 AM
Brian J DSouza

TheoBrixton - Definitely playing a game of roulette here, but I can't think of a much better bargaining chip while negotiating a new contract than a win over the (arguably) greatest of all time.

How is it roulette? He'd be stuck with a longterm contract for small increments in pay if he signed, and if he loses, it's the same case. The UFC can also cut him at anytime in either case.

He made the only smart move possible.

3/28/13 1:02 AM
Ghost of Retard
724 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I bet this is an attempt at promoting the fight.

"Weidman is so confident he's going to wait to sign a contract?   This will be a good fight.. I'm buying this shit!!!"

Could it be a conspiracy?

3/28/13 3:21 AM
Braziliant

This guy's head is on another planet. I might as well say it now. Goodnight, Weidman.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.