UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Zahabi: GSP made weight and had shorts on

3/28/13 12:32 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1069 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Earlier this week a representive for Diaz's camp made a statement criticizing the Quebec Commission for it's actions surronding UFC 158. The statement alleged that a rule not counting the decimal point for a weigh in existed, in essence allowing either athlete to be up to .9lbs over the 170.0 lb. limit allowed by the unified rules of mixed martial arts for title bouts.

According to his primary coach, Firaz Zahabi, his fighter did make weight:

GSP made weight and he had his shorts on.”

That was the initial response of Firas Zahabi, head coach of UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, when asked about the statement released by former Vancouver Athletic Commission member and current Nick Diaz affiliate Jonathan Tweedale on Tuesday afternoon.

“I was told the decimal didn’t count, so we didn’t worry about it.,” Zahabi said via email earlier today. “I don’t see even .9 making a difference in a fight, so I didn’t give it any thought.”

read entire article...

3/28/13 12:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
clown makeup
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/28/13 12:53 PM

The lightest pair of similiar looking shorts weigh 4.5 oz (0.28 lbs), either GSP and his expert science team managed his body weight down to the incredible precise number of 169.72 lbs equalling exactly 170 lbs on the scales including shorts, or he came in over whereby the simply snipped off the excess.

“I was told the decimal didn’t count, so we didn’t worry about it.,” Zahabi said via email earlier today. “I don’t see even .9 making a difference in a fight, so I didn’t give it any thought.”

3/28/13 12:56 PM
Condit's Face Broke My Hand
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

clown makeup -

The lightest pair of similiar looking shorts weigh 4.5 oz (0.28 lbs), either GSP and his expert science team managed his body weight down to the incredible precise number of 169.72 lbs equalling exactly 170 lbs on the scales including shorts, or he came in over whereby the simply snipped off the excess.

I wonder how so many guys make the weight even then Phone Post
3/28/13 12:56 PM
vincan469
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

seems like every fighters camp must use the same science since they all came in at an even pound.
3/28/13 1:00 PM
ShatsBassoon
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here we go again... ...again.
3/28/13 1:01 PM
youarewhatiswrong
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Condit's Face Broke My Hand - 
clown makeup -

I wonder how so many guys make the weight even then Phone Post

Yeah, exactly what is your point here, clownshoes?
3/28/13 1:04 PM
caposa
1594 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's not about whether he made weight people. Holy shit. It's about the fact that there is underhand "off the record" bullshit going on with this athletic commission. Phone Post
3/28/13 1:07 PM
Condit's Face Broke My Hand
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caposa - It's not about whether he made weight people. Holy shit. It's about the fact that there is underhand "off the record" bullshit going on with this athletic commission. Phone Post
Exactly. This doesn't have anything to do with GSP, it has to do with the athletic commission Phone Post
3/28/13 1:14 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Condit's Face Broke My Hand - 
caposa - It's not about whether he made weight people. Holy shit. It's about the fact that there is underhand "off the record" bullshit going on with this athletic commission. Phone Post
Exactly. This doesn't have anything to do with GSP, it has to do with the athletic commission Phone Post

Exactly. Yet some who are defending this bullshit for hundreds of posts (Orcus) cannot seem to refrain from trying to connect it to being a fan or hater of certain fighters.

3/28/13 1:15 PM
15days
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP couldnt possibly fight anywhere but where you can be .9 over. Its a fact and I will spend hrs arguing about it
3/28/13 1:18 PM
caposa
1594 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fedor_saku_wand - How about a follow up question of how long ago did they know about this rule? 3 of GSPs last 4 fights have been in Montreal but none of his opponents knew before their weight cut

Does GSP request to fight in Montreal?

The Diaz fight was actually GSP's FIFTH title fight under the Quebec commission.

3/28/13 1:20 PM
disbeliever
324 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
caposa -  It's not about whether he made weight people. Holy shit. It's about the fact that there is underhand "off the record" bullshit going on with this athletic commission. Phone Post

My feeling as well
3/28/13 1:29 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

disbeliever - 
caposa -  It's not about whether he made weight people. Holy shit. It's about the fact that there is underhand "off the record" bullshit going on with this athletic commission. Phone Post

My feeling as well

:-)

3/28/13 1:47 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
There a lot of good points on this thread. The AC needs to be consistent in following/enforcing the rules or they're going to let the flood gates open. This Sport already has enough issues, making sure fighters make weight or not shouldn't be one of them.
3/28/13 1:49 PM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku

have they stated WHEN they received notice the decimals didnt count

3/28/13 2:03 PM
subwrassler
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

disbeliever - 

My feeling as well

+1
3/28/13 2:10 PM
Entreri

Quebec is a distinct society. Why Quebec does things, the rest of Canada has no freaking clue, from the language police to taxes (e.g. 2 sets of income tax filing) to...
3/28/13 2:11 PM
TheGoldenRule
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Easy fix (from ufc perspective) to eliminate possible future ac's "shady" behavior:

UFC should show view of scale on the big ass screen behind em.... allowing all in attendance and viewing on tv to see exact weights.
... sorry if already suggested somewhere in this ridiculous thread Phone Post
3/28/13 2:13 PM
sacredhate
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheGoldenRule -  Easy fix (from ufc perspective) to eliminate possible future ac's "shady" behavior:

UFC should show view of scale on the big ass screen behind em.... allowing all in attendance and viewing on tv to see exact weights.
... sorry if already suggested somewhere in this ridiculous thread Phone Post

i agree.

it's good enough for "the biggest loser"...i'd love to see it.
3/28/13 2:14 PM
Aaron Becker

vincan469 - seems like every fighters camp must use the same science since they all came in at an even pound.

most people when cutting weight don't cut a tenth more of a pound than what is absolutely necassary
3/28/13 2:19 PM
UGCTT croy_00
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

subwrassler - 
disbeliever - 

My feeling as well

+1

This is the part that gets me. Diaz can't beat wrestlers, isn't even top 5, got beat easily by GSP....blah blah blah.

Moving on. What is the purpose of an off-the-record type of rule regarding weight, when there is a contract explicitly stating the fighters must come in at 170.0 the day before the fight. Is it to count for scale inaccuracies? Change in atmospheric pressure? Heavy toe nails?
3/28/13 2:26 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
Aaron Becker - 
vincan469 - seems like every fighters camp must use the same science since they all came in at an even pound.

most people when cutting weight don't cut a tenth more of a pound than what is absolutely necassary

That's not true....Look at any weigh in.  WW's always come in at 169-170 even if the limit is 171, MW's at 184-185 if limit is 186, etc...  I don't think they lose the extra weight intentionally but it's not like every fighter is within .1 lbs of their max limit.

You are correct that not every fighter cuts so much weight that they need to have it down to a science.

The issue is that GSP is one of the more extreme weight cutters, by Firas' own comments, and you can bet your ass that when cutting 20-22 pounds in 5 days you are not going to be cutting any extra weight.

3/28/13 2:39 PM
Kerouac

15days - GSP couldnt possibly fight anywhere but where you can be .9 over. Its a fact and I will spend hrs arguing about it

How many title fights has GSP been in?

How many of those fights weren't in Canada/Quebec?

Idiot.

3/28/13 2:41 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Kerouac - 
15days - GSP couldnt possibly fight anywhere but where you can be .9 over. Its a fact and I will spend hrs arguing about it

How many title fights has GSP been in?

How many of those fights weren't in Canada/Quebec?

Idiot.

Um, wow. Could the sarcasm in 15days post been any more obvious?

The ironing.

3/28/13 2:43 PM
Kerouac

Who knows anymore...the same argument has surfaced here many times.

my bad if his post was sarcastic

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.