UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Doing the CSCS exam next week

3/28/13 6:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
irishrottie
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any tips from those who have the certification?

3/29/13 6:22 AM
VelcroFly45
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Relax and take your time through exam. The time schedule is quite adequate for the amount of material on the test.
Also make sure you know a lot of the NSCA specifics, like athlete to coach ratio and the square footage needed per athlete. They like to throw NSCA ideologies into questions. So if you have an understanding of what the NSCA stands for, you can answer some questions easier.
Written or computer? Phone Post 3.0
3/29/13 12:20 PM
Taku
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good input from VF45.

I was going to say make sure you do not get bogged down on any one or two questions. In the end, it's the total score that matters for pass / fail. 

Also be sure you feel comfortable with the proper teminology for the practical as well. As was said above, they want you to speak "NSCA Speak" at least for the test.

TAKU <---Got my NSCA cert around 1989 - 90

3/29/13 3:17 PM
irishrottie
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cheers. written test. I am very comfortable with the ex sci, nutrition & program design. With regards to the facilitiy org...will there be stupid questions like how many decibels of sound should there be in the gym, how wide a door should be and how bright the room should be? book gets way to specific with that stuff.

3/29/13 6:57 PM
Chocolate Shatner
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hint man, if it's in the book, it could be on the test.

Think of it this way:

Take the passing score (sorry, not NSCA, so I don't know the percentage).

Let's say you need a 70% to pass overall average.

About 60% of the questions will be dead on, balls down questions. Basic shit, stuff that every person trained and who knows their shit should be able to walk in and get most of the time.

Another 20% will be relatively easy, but perhaps confusing if you don't know NSCA terminology and jargon. This is to weed out the "weekend warriors" who are just trying to add an NSCA to their list of certs. Not saying I agree with their thinking here, but every cert test I've taken in fitness, martial arts, etc is like this.

The final 20% is gonna be that weird shit, the detailed shit that really doesn't matter, but it minutae that they want you to supposedly study.

Basically, if you can answer the 60% correctly, you can more or less relax on the rest and still pass. Hell, you get even 50% of the rest correct, and you pass the exam.
3/29/13 7:42 PM
VelcroFly45
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd say stick to the basics of all you all ready know. I over the last couple of chapters once not twice, but besides that it is knowing how they want you to answer. Don't get caught up in ideology battle, just answer how they want. Phone Post 3.0
3/29/13 7:57 PM
irishrottie

Yeh its more for the cv than anything. My ex sci degree went into far more detail but just need to play the nsca game.

3/31/13 5:18 AM
Chocolate Shatner
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Honestly if you're just doing it for the CV reasons, I'd skip it. The cert game has gotten so out of fucking control that really places fall into three categories:

1. Places that just don't give a fuck. Like, in really don't give a fuck.

2. Places that want ANY piece of paper shit cert in order to cover their asses, and insurance reasons. CSCS, CPT, PFT, ABCDEFG, whatever.

3. Places that are going to go off of either A) who you know and can say you've worked with, and/or B) an intense interview where you need to prove your shit. While a cert might help you get the interview, the honest to God truth is that busting your ass and just trying your ass off to get in the door will be more impressive.

Sorry, also have to add category 4/subcategory 1, the "niche" places that will only accept one cert. But, these places are usually branded places. So, you NEED to have the Kettlebell cert, or the Crossfit cert, or whatever.

So, of the 4 categories above, a CSCS really seems to help you with only one, and the honest truth is that if you have a BS in exercise science, you'll have that category covered already.
4/8/13 5:08 PM
irishrottie

took the exam on saturday.

first part - physiology and nutrition was tricky as fuck. really basic but at the same time the wording is offputting. was not happy with it but hopefully it will be enough.

second part - pratical, speed/agility, aerobic, interval training, prescription etc. was smooth sailing. 

All in all, have to say its a weird exam. I dont think being a CSCS is any indication of what you know about the physiology of exercise or the molecular responses but it doesnt show that one has a good understanding of program design and the practical side of things. 

4/8/13 5:10 PM
irishrottie

It was a drop of water compared to what I covered in my degree.

4/8/13 6:22 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

can you i ask you if you've used the most recent book for the exam or the previous? it's like a 100 dollar price difference :)
4/8/13 7:58 PM
irishrottie

ArthurKnoqOut - can you i ask you if you've used the most recent book for the exam or the previous? it's like a 100 dollar price difference :)

i bought the book in 09 when i started my degree, dunno if its the latest one. but ultimately i doubt there is a big difference in the content and what is examinable. for example they wont have questions on areas where the scientific research is constantly changing, it will be your standard stuff but of course with the nsca flavour on it. im sure taku can help you there with advice. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.