UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> best strength training book?

3/29/13 7:20 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Devlin
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i am looking for a book, with plenty of varied routines, i'd consider myself an intermediate lifter just looking for something to challenge myself and add some more invention to my workouts. any suggestions?

goals are to increase my strength and overall fitness. Phone Post
3/29/13 9:07 AM
Zero1
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Easy Strength from Dan John an Pavel
3/29/13 12:15 PM
Taku
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/29/13 12:27 PM

Not sure if I feel that there is one, best book out there (I own a lot)

For tons of routines and applications for sports / athletes etc, I recommend High Intensity Training by my friend John Philbin. John is the real deal. He coached with the Redskins, former head coach for Olympic Bobsled team, former head of OTC. Currently head S&C coach for the Washinton Nationals MLB.

TAKU

P.S. I also have Easy Strength. Philbins book is a completely opposite style of training from Easy strength. Get them both, and see which style resonates with you.

3/29/13 12:34 PM
Darb
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Starting Strength is one of the best out there. Covers good form in great detail for the major compound lifts and has a section on programming. Practical programming is also a great companion to SS.
3/29/13 1:26 PM
herwil10
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/29/13 1:35 PM
5/3/1 by Jim Wendler is great.

EDIT: I saw you said varied routines. Pavel's Beyond Bodybuilding has a TON of routines in it.

3/29/13 1:47 PM
Devlin
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

all sound like great suggestions so far, i'm at work at the minute, al have a proper look at them whem i get it. may have to go with taku and get a few. Phone Post
3/29/13 6:36 PM
Devlin

Devlin -  all sound like great suggestions so far, i'm at work at the minute, al have a proper look at them whem i get it. may have to go with taku and get a few. Phone Post

Damn my typing is awful on that phone, all of these programs seem great, think easy strength an HIT training might be a good way to go.
3/30/13 11:22 PM
jeremy hamilton
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

herwil10 - 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler is great.

EDIT: I saw you said varied routines. Pavel's Beyond Bodybuilding has a TON of routines in it.

x2 on the Beyond Bodybuilding recommendation.
3/31/13 4:02 AM
Taku
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/31/13 4:02 AM

I looked at tthat book (Beyond BB) found it to be just a collection of his (Pavelss) stuff from all around. Having read several of his books and many of his articles...it was nothing new. Still if you have not read Pavel...it is a good collection of his work.

TAKU

P.S. Another couple books worth checking out are Practical Approach to Strength Training 4th edition, and Maximize your Training

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.