UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jackson's MMA critical over long round at WSoF 2

3/29/13 11:26 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
supersonic
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Right to complain. That was. Fun fight to wtch regardless.
3/29/13 11:30 AM
TSMontana
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kamakosmo - 
TSMontana - What happened to "protect yourself at all times"? Thank Zuffa for helping make MMA legit, but I miss the no time limit NHB fights of old. I guess NC is the correct solution, but it just shows how contrived having rounds in free fights is.

Old school fan, huh?

Guess you hated Pride rules and their kooky rounds as well, right?

I did, actually. It was a thing of beauty to see Royce work that triangle on Severn, or tap Kimo. No way either of those happened with the current AC approved rules.
3/29/13 11:33 AM
disbeliever
352 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
TSMontana - Also MMA doesn't have an equivalent of "a fighter can't be saved by the bell", AFAIK. You can have a RNC fully on a fighter 10 seconds before the round ends, and if he doesn't tap, or nap in those 10 seconds, he/she is saved by the bell/horn/chimes. Find that also a little silly.

I kind of agree, but its a moot point as the current rules say when the round ends, the fighters need to stop regardless of what submission move they have or strikes they are landing.

Bottom line is, if the correct time was kept, Andre would never have taken the hit that dropped him, hurt him and allowed more damage on the ground. Fight changing moment in a fight that went to decision. Had Andre KO'd Anthony in round 2, yes you could then say the 8 seconds meant nothing to the fight.

When you end up tallying scores, and judges score a fighter being dropped and beat on, it means the world
3/29/13 11:53 AM
Barbalos
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Regardless of your opinions, the rules are 5 minute rounds. This is a pretty bad mistake by the ref/timekeeper.
3/29/13 11:57 AM
arlovski666

Barbalos - Regardless of your opinions, the rules are 5 minute rounds. This is a pretty bad mistake by the ref/timekeeper.
Yep. Phone Post 3.0
3/29/13 12:03 PM
Death Beast

Edited: 03/29/13 12:06 PM
And not only did he lose the fight, AA also suffered a broken jaw and lost some teeth as a result of this mistake. I've been wired up myself and it really sucks so I'm sure he's extremely pissed that he's taking meals through a straw for 6 weeks because someone can't count properly.
3/29/13 12:15 PM
TheRealMrBeefy

Shitty for both fighters. Based on the unified rules, technically this should be a no contest IMO.

Johnson won the fight, but the damage done from that strike during that 8 seconds very well could have been the reason why AA lost. I guess we will never know for sure...

I'm just glad the fight contined and it was very entertaining and I like both guys more because of it. Phone Post
3/29/13 12:16 PM
mmavixen
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chaplinshouse -

wow that's some ghetto shit right there.  

Lolol Phone Post
3/29/13 12:16 PM
TSMontana
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kamakosmo - 
TSMontana - 
Kamakosmo - 
TSMontana - What happened to "protect yourself at all times"? Thank Zuffa for helping make MMA legit, but I miss the no time limit NHB fights of old. I guess NC is the correct solution, but it just shows how contrived having rounds in free fights is.

Old school fan, huh?

Guess you hated Pride rules and their kooky rounds as well, right?

I did, actually. It was a thing of beauty to see Royce work that triangle on Severn, or tap Kimo. No way either of those happened with the current AC approved rules.

Kimo tapped at 4:40 of the 1st. How does this not happen with the current AC rules? LOL

Was it that soon? Always thought it was longer. I stand corrected on that one.
3/29/13 12:26 PM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
390 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think they should rule it a NC and an immediate rematch should be in the works. Phone Post 3.0
3/29/13 12:35 PM
hogh20

Deuce77 - Would've been the same outcome.

Beginning of Round 2 with broken jaw < beginning or Round 2 without broken jaw.
3/29/13 12:46 PM
Zanzoken
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I doubt Jackson's would be complaining if it had been Andrei blasting away at Rumble for those 8 seconds.

Yes, the timekeeper messed up but it in no way put Andrei at an unfair disadvantage. There was no punch after the whistle, no strikes to the back of the head, nothing sketchy. Mistakes happen in sports and MMA is no exception.

Johnson won fair and square and the decision should stand (and I am not even a Rumble fan).
3/29/13 2:53 PM
Curtis_E_Bare
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some shady shit going on with that athletic commission. You think it's just a coincide that the bell should have sounded just as the home town boy (American) was launching an offensive attack and the time keeper just happened to forget his one job?
Clearly they knew Johnson was going to gas in the later rounds so they gave him an extra long first round.

I'm done with this sport forever!

Just kidding - shitty situation but there is no reason to suspect foul play. I imagine it'll get ruled a NC.
3/29/13 3:05 PM
disbeliever
352 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
Zanzoken - I doubt Jackson's would be complaining if it had been Andrei blasting away at Rumble for those 8 seconds.

Yes, the timekeeper messed up but it in no way put Andrei at an unfair disadvantage. There was no punch after the whistle, no strikes to the back of the head, nothing sketchy. Mistakes happen in sports and MMA is no exception.

Johnson won fair and square and the decision should stand (and I am not even a Rumble fan).

In what way wasn't those 8 seconds "putting Andre at an unfair disadvantage"? It broke his jaw...
3/29/13 3:06 PM
Rear Naked Chode
447 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zanzoken - I doubt Jackson's would be complaining if it had been Andrei blasting away at Rumble for those 8 seconds.

How can Johnson have won fair and square if there was a mistake that put AA at a disadvantage?
3/29/13 3:12 PM
Billyz
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It horribly unfortunate for AA.
AJ is not to blame but luck gave him the extra 8 seconds he needed to drop and break AA's jaw.

Imagine a contest where you had to solve a puzzle before a puzzle. YOu have it on the tip of your tounge but the buzzer rings and you dont get to solve it.
Well AJ got that extra couple of seconds to get the puzzle solved which is what makes it a shitty situation and in no way due to AAJ

Plain and simple if the clock had stopped as it was supposed to Andrei would not have been knocked down nor his jaw broken,
Sure he could have happened in the 2nd rd etc BUT NO ONE WOULD KNOW.
Hell he could have been knocked out cold in the first 5 seconds of the 2nd round by a flying roundhouse kick from AJ or AA could have flatlined AJ with an uppercut.
To say the outcome would have been the same is ridiculous especially considering the fact that Arlovski kept going for another 2 rounds AND made a fight of it with a badly broken jaw.

In a fair world it should be a NC and rematch them down the line. but it wont and AA gets screwed and AJ gets a win
3/29/13 5:15 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

Deuce77 - Would've been the same outcome.
His jaw was broken in those 8 seconds. Phone Post
3/29/13 5:38 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

There was a really long round at a bellator a few weeks ago, I don't remember the fight, but I remember counting like 20 something seconds after the 10 second clap and the clock disappeared. Phone Post
3/29/13 5:41 PM
Card
2001 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

With the clock

3/29/13 5:53 PM
JerodR
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That has to be like a damn nightmare. Trying to hold on for the bell, only to get shots like that after it should have gone off.

100% Unfair to AA, and completely unprofessional for WSOF. This should be ruled a No Contest.
3/29/13 5:59 PM
Condit's Face Broke My Hand
553 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

peppo - Ugh, another reason why I have a hard time enjoying the minor leagues. Everything feels so... tacky.
This could just as easily happened in the UFC. Athletic commission takes care of this, not the promotion. Phone Post
3/29/13 8:01 PM
Jaybrone
442 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Death Beast - Completely justified complaint here. Those 8 seconds changed the fight entirely.

This is a valid complaint compared to some that you see in MMA. Sadly most complains regardless of how valid don't ammount to anything.

3/29/13 8:25 PM
Jaybrone
442 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Of course Jackson's wouldn't be complaining if it went the other way but you can bet that Rumble's camp would be and rightfully so. 

3/29/13 8:32 PM
ManWithTheIronFists
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yup it should be ruled a no contest.
3/29/13 8:33 PM
Jaybrone

RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
willienugget - 

This guy gets it. Shit like this is unfortunate but it happens. It's happened in UFC and Strikeforce and it will happen again.

It is Jackson's job to complain and he isn't exactly screaming for a NC. He just wants WSoF to get their shit together.

It does?  When?  I've never seen an NFL or NBA game accidentally go 1 minute extra.  Don't they use clocks/timers in MMA?

Their are clock issues in NBA games all the time. But irrelevant to the point that was being made.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.