UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC knew the .9 allowance for GSP was illegal

3/29/13 5:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Barbalos
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
Winston Wolf - 
Barbalos - So Nevada does the same thing Quebec did, and that means Quebec is doing something wrong. Ok, nice argument.

paid schill

Is this his internet schtick or something?   What a crybaby.

Only crybaby here is Diaz (and his nut lickers). Everyone else is perfectly fine with what has happened.
3/29/13 5:10 PM
Winston Wolf

Barbalos - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
Winston Wolf - 
Barbalos - So Nevada does the same thing Quebec did, and that means Quebec is doing something wrong. Ok, nice argument.

paid schill

Only crybaby here is Diaz (and his nut lickers). Everyone else is perfectly fine with what has happened.

GSP is or was my favorite fighter.I have never rooted for either Diaz to win a fight
3/29/13 5:11 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Got busy at work sorry Guy.

Wanted to admit to orchestra that I did in fact fuck up the rounding thing. Congrats.

Doesn't change how fucked up this whole situation is nor does it change that the AC and the UFC have some shady shit going on...

Carry on. Phone Post
3/29/13 5:11 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

LOL orcus not orchestra Phone Post
3/29/13 5:12 PM
Barbalos

Winston Wolf - 
Barbalos - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
Winston Wolf - 

paid schill

GSP is or was my favorite fighter.I have never rooted for either Diaz to win a fight

So what huge dirty secret are you trying to expose here? I don't get it. All of the accusations of impropriety have zero evidence. A couple weird phone calls and such don't prove anything. And what I really don't get is what is the huge deal even if there was something shady going on? A big conspiracy to hide a 0.9 pound weight measurement? Are you fucking kidding me? Is this such a huge deal, as to warrant as this rampant speculation? I don't get it.
3/29/13 5:12 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Barbalos -
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
Winston Wolf - 

paid schill

Wrong. I hate Diaz.

This is still some shady bullshit. Phone Post
3/29/13 5:14 PM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku

orcus - 

Kizer's email is on the NSAC website. It's not a secret. I would post exact quotes but he never responded when I asked if I could repost them. I do think it's perfectly fine to paraphrase what he said.

" that doesnt mean that the quebec commission did nothing wrong,"

Can you name one thing they did wrong?

"the point i was making is that you are trying to say that quebec does it like everyone else..thats not true"

No, YOU guys are trying to say rounding down weights in title fights in unique, unheard of, and shady...What *I* am saying is the biggest AC in the country, where the vast majority of UFC title fights are held, does it too -- and no one has ever complained about it, even though it's 1) not in the rules and regulations and 2) patently obvious when the weights are announced and recorded at the PUBLIC weighins. It's also pretty obvious to anyone who isn't just trolling that all those other ACs with rounded weights do it too.

i dont understand..if its on the NSAC website, why cant u repost it?

the thing they did wrong was violating their own rules (with respect to allowing additional time to make weight) and making off the record rules...

again..this all comes down to your characterization of everyone rounding, which is totally off base..the reality is that you can make weight in Quebec at 170.8, but you don't make weight in NV and in many other jurisdictions...this is FACT no matter how much you try to spin things by saying hey, they all round down!

3/29/13 5:15 PM
Barbalos

RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
Barbalos - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
Winston Wolf - 

paid schill

I agree....I was addressing Winston and his constant "paid schill" comments as I've seen him accuse 3-4 people today.  He reminds me of that kid on the playground that was too stupid or socially awkward to converse with the other kids so he'd just stick his tongue out at everyone. 

Ah, sorry. I guess if I don't see a big conspiracy here I must be a schill, lol.
3/29/13 5:20 PM
Winston Wolf

Jonathan Tweedale, Nick Diaz's lawyer, contacted Bloody Elbow and exclusively provided very interesting text message transcripts from the evening of the weigh in, explaining "Given some of the media coverage, we need to set the record straight on the timing that the issue of the 0.9 was raised by Nick Diaz. The issue was pursued immediately. On the evening of March 15, Mike Mersch and I exchanged the following correspondence (via text message), in which he denied any knowledge of a .9 allowance or ignoring the decimal."

Mersch, again, was the man in the video who informed the camp of the "no decimal" changes.

Here is the text conversation between Tweedale (JDT) and Mersch (MM), which starts at 9:24 p.m.:

JDT: "Hi Mike. Nick is curious about the .9 pound allowance at today's weigh-in for his championship bout. He doesn't want to be a nuisance about this, but he's a bit confused. Can you shed any light?"

MM: "I don't know what you're talking about. All parties weighed in appropriately according [to] the Quebec Commission."

JDT: "Of course. You're right, and he knows that. He just wanted to know why the Quebec Commission was okay with a 0.9 pound weight allowance for a championship fight. Nick's not going to make an issue of it, but it's been gnawing at him since it was explained to him at the weigh-ins, on an "off the record" basis or otherwise. I just want him to stop thinking about it, and thought you could provide some insight."

MM: "I have been told everyone made weight so there's nothing to make an issue about. He might want to focus on how he's going to win the fight rather than spending the night making excuses about why he lost."

The correspondence continued at 9:46 p.m.:

JDT: "C'mon Mike you're just going to stonewall on this issue? We're reaching out in a discreet manner, as appropriate in the circumstances. Meet us half-way."

MM: "Huh? The Commission determined both fighters weighed 170 or less. What am I supposed to do about that? I would think Nick would be excited to compete for the UFC Welterweight title. Seems like he's focused on the wrong issue."

JDT: "No one wants you to *do* anything. If the answer is simply "the Quebec Commission permits a promoter to request that .9 pounds be rounded down in a championship fight (unlike, e.g., the Washington commission for Nate's fight), and Zuffa made that request here", then pls confirm. Far better to reach out this way than the uncooperative Twitter/media way."

MM: "How would I know what the Quebec Commission does? I was informed everyone made weight like everyone else at the weigh in. Zuffa made no requests for anything from the Quebec Commission. Good luck to Nick with the fight."

JDT: "Okay. I'll let Nick know that you can't shed any light on why Quebec treats 170.9 as 170 in a championship fight. Disappointing. Thanks for your time and your wish of luck to Nick for the fight."

MM: "Again I have no idea what you're talking about. The Quebec Commission indicated both fighters were 170 or lower."

JDT: "If you don't know then I should be asking someone else. No worries, Mike. Which UFC exec advised Nick and his entourage before the weigh-in that "If you're 170.2, you're 170. If you're 170.9, you're 170...that's a kinda off the record type of thing"?"

MM: "I would think you'd direct that to the source: the Quebec Commission. The UFC has nothing to do with weigh ins in Quebec."

Tweedale explained, "We appreciate that Mr. Mersch was in a difficult position, evidently having been instructed by the Quebec Commission to relay to Mr. Diaz some last-minute, unlawful 'rule changes' to give the hometown fighter a reprieve from his duty to make weight at 170 pounds.
3/29/13 5:22 PM
babbling monkey
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barbalos - 
Winston Wolf - 
Barbalos - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
Winston Wolf - 

paid schill

So what huge dirty secret are you trying to expose here? I don't get it. All of the accusations of impropriety have zero evidence. A couple weird phone calls and such don't prove anything. And what I really don't get is what is the huge deal even if there was something shady going on? A big conspiracy to hide a 0.9 pound weight measurement? Are you fucking kidding me? Is this such a huge deal, as to warrant as this rampant speculation? I don't get it.

0.9lbs > nanograms of metabolites
3/29/13 5:24 PM
orcus

Edited: 03/29/13 5:25 PM

"i dont understand..if its on the NSAC website, why cant u repost it?"

You'll argue for days but are too lazy to go to their website? Here it is: http://boxing.nv.gov/contact/Contact_Us/

"the thing they did wrong was violating their own rules (with respect to allowing additional time to make weight) "

No one was given additional time to make weight. A guy who was not a rep of the AC said they *would* do so, but it never happened. In any case, unless you're just some kind of "by the book" psycho, why would anyone have a problem with that? Missing weight is not something anyone WANTS to do or would ever voluntarily do because they have the expectation they can try again.

"and making off the record rules..."

Such as? If you mean the rounding again, since the rules don't specify a tolerance, then anything they do will be "off the record" -- just like EVERY event held in EVERY OTHER AC.

"again..this all comes down to your characterization of everyone rounding, which is totally off base"

I only found two of eight that don't round, and that doesn't include the UFC themselves who round in events without an AC; if you know of others, I'd be happy to hear it.

"the reality is that you can make weight in Quebec at 170.8, but you don't make weight in NV and in many other jurisdictions...this is FACT no matter how much you try to spin things by saying hey, they all round down!"

Yes, in NV and many other jurisdictions, 170.8 will not make weight. But 170.4 will. So your problem seems to be not that Quebec -- and most other jurisdictions -- give latitude, but that you personally don't like exactly how much latitude Quebec and some others give. Since it's not in their regs or anyone else's, one is left wondering what you are so bothered by...For days you guys' argument has been that you can't be over, period, for a title fight. Now that that's been proven false in most jurisdictions, you are suddenly incensed that you can be over by a few more ounces in one jurisdiction than another? Come on, isn't it time to drop the act?

3/29/13 5:25 PM
Barbalos

Winston Wolf - Jonathan Tweedale, Nick Diaz's lawyer, contacted Bloody Elbow and exclusively provided very interesting text message transcripts from the evening of the weigh in, explaining "Given some of the media coverage, we need to set the record straight on the timing that the issue of the 0.9 was raised by Nick Diaz. The issue was pursued immediately. On the evening of March 15, Mike Mersch and I exchanged the following correspondence (via text message), in which he denied any knowledge of a .9 allowance or ignoring the decimal."

Mersch, again, was the man in the video who informed the camp of the "no decimal" changes.

Here is the text conversation between Tweedale (JDT) and Mersch (MM), which starts at 9:24 p.m.:

JDT: "Hi Mike. Nick is curious about the .9 pound allowance at today's weigh-in for his championship bout. He doesn't want to be a nuisance about this, but he's a bit confused. Can you shed any light?"

MM: "I don't know what you're talking about. All parties weighed in appropriately according [to] the Quebec Commission."

JDT: "Of course. You're right, and he knows that. He just wanted to know why the Quebec Commission was okay with a 0.9 pound weight allowance for a championship fight. Nick's not going to make an issue of it, but it's been gnawing at him since it was explained to him at the weigh-ins, on an "off the record" basis or otherwise. I just want him to stop thinking about it, and thought you could provide some insight."

MM: "I have been told everyone made weight so there's nothing to make an issue about. He might want to focus on how he's going to win the fight rather than spending the night making excuses about why he lost."

JDT: "C'mon Mike you're just going to stonewall on this issue? We're reaching out in a discreet manner, as appropriate in the circumstances. Meet us half-way."

MM: "Huh? The Commission determined both fighters weighed 170 or less. What am I supposed to do about that? I would think Nick would be excited to compete for the UFC Welterweight title. Seems like he's focused on the wrong issue."

JDT: "No one wants you to *do* anything. If the answer is simply "the Quebec Commission permits a promoter to request that .9 pounds be rounded down in a championship fight (unlike, e.g., the Washington commission for Nate's fight), and Zuffa made that request here", then pls confirm. Far better to reach out this way than the uncooperative Twitter/media way."

MM: "How would I know what the Quebec Commission does? I was informed everyone made weight like everyone else at the weigh in. Zuffa made no requests for anything from the Quebec Commission. Good luck to Nick with the fight."

JDT: "Okay. I'll let Nick know that you can't shed any light on why Quebec treats 170.9 as 170 in a championship fight. Disappointing. Thanks for your time and your wish of luck to Nick for the fight."

MM: "Again I have no idea what you're talking about. The Quebec Commission indicated both fighters were 170 or lower."

JDT: "If you don't know then I should be asking someone else. No worries, Mike. Which UFC exec advised Nick and his entourage before the weigh-in that "If you're 170.2, you're 170. If you're 170.9, you're 170...that's a kinda off the record type of thing"?"

MM: "I would think you'd direct that to the source: the Quebec Commission. The UFC has nothing to do with weigh ins in Quebec."

Tweedale explained, "We appreciate that Mr. Mersch was in a difficult position, evidently having been instructed by the Quebec Commission to relay to Mr. Diaz some last-minute, unlawful 'rule changes' to give the hometown fighter a reprieve from his duty to make weight at 170 pounds.

so you don't think Nick Diaz's lawyer might be trying to play this up, for the man who pay's him? He's just totally objective here right? LOL. Lawyer's never are dishonest about anything when it's going to get them a bigger paycheque, huh? This guy is asking a bunch of questions, MM says he doesn't know shit about it, and that equals a conspiracy to conceal GSPs magic .9lb weight that allowed him crush Diaz. What the fuck are you smoking.
3/29/13 5:25 PM
Barbalos

babbling monkey - 
Barbalos - 
Winston Wolf - 
Barbalos - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
Winston Wolf - 

paid schill

0.9lbs > nanograms of metabolites

I agree, the weed stuff is outdated bull, however that is not relevant to this.
3/29/13 5:29 PM
levragentiming
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barbalos -
levragentiming - 
Othello -
notsobigmike - 
klabo - 
lastcall - I have no doubt the shorts GSP kept on weighed more than .9 lbs. Calm down
End if thread Phone Post 3.0

Actually, I think there was another thread that claimed those fight shorts weighed .2 or .3 pounds.

In any case, has it ever been demonstrated that GSP did NOT weight in at 170?

It seems like all the talk is about making up this allowance (which is bullshit), but I haven't actually seen whether or not GSP conclusively weighed in over the limit.

He jumped on the scale and the commission clearly stated he made weight. I don't understand what the issue is.
LMAO at this idiot. They already told Nick if GSP weighed 107.9 they would announce it as 170... try again Phone Post

So because they told Nick that IF GSP weighed 170.9, they would round it down. That means that GSP definitely weighed 170.9 and that's what they did? Can you prove that or are you just making shit up?
I have nothing to prove buddy... I'm just stating what everyone knows. try again Phone Post
3/29/13 5:31 PM
ManWithTheIronFists
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bloody Elbow is a known DIaz biased site
3/29/13 6:04 PM
Winston Wolf

Barbalos - 
Winston Wolf - Jonathan Tweedale, Nick Diaz's lawyer, contacted Bloody Elbow and exclusively provided very interesting text message transcripts from the evening of the weigh in, explaining "Given some of the media coverage, we need to set the record straight on the timing that the issue of the 0.9 was raised by Nick Diaz. The issue was pursued immediately. On the evening of March 15, Mike Mersch and I exchanged the following correspondence (via text message), in which he denied any knowledge of a .9 allowance or ignoring the decimal."

so you don't think Nick Diaz's lawyer might be trying to play this up, for the man who pay's him? He's just totally objective here right? LOL. Lawyer's never are dishonest about anything when it's going to get them a bigger paycheque, huh? This guy is asking a bunch of questions, MM says he doesn't know shit about it, and that equals a conspiracy to conceal GSPs magic .9lb weight that allowed him crush Diaz. What the fuck are you smoking.

i dare you to go to the other thread.Seems Im not the only one.Notice how Orcus is even avoiding that thread
3/29/13 6:06 PM
Winston Wolf

Sal Penis -  Paid schills in this thread. Orcus and Barbalos. Phone Post

as well as internetufguy and MMA something or other.Im not a conspiracy guy but this is so one sided anyone who cant see that either likes to argue or is on the payroll
3/29/13 6:28 PM
Standup29

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
Barbalos - 
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
orcus - 

LNP, can you point me to the rules in the Nevada, California, Illinois, Minnesota, Brazil, and Quebec athletic commission regulations that define to what tolerance weights are to be given? That forbid or require rounding to take place, and to what degree?

Are all of those ACs shady? Or just Quebec's?

Have any of those other commissions had UFC employees go tell fighters at the last possible moment before the weigh ins, that despite their scales going beyond the first decimal accuracy wise, they were not going to count that weight? How about any of those commissions having the UFC brass tell a fighter that they will secretly allow the two title fighters to cut extra weight behind closed doors even though their own rules specify that that is NOT allowed?

Nope? Okay thanks...

So the answer to orcus' question is: no, he can't. He can't tell you anything about it. All LnP can do is speculate wildly and fling inflammatory statements around. Right?

You're really slow. You should probably stop trying to engage in this debate. I don't NEED to sift through all those commissions exact verbage as they are not the ones picking and choosing when and where they want to use different regulations on weight.

The point that you are dancing around is you don't know what they do or don't do. In other words why are you only complaining about what happened here when it is essentially happening elsewhere and in one way or another ALL AC's interpret the rules how they see fit. Some round to whole numbers, half numbers or don't round but is it stated in their rules how/when/why they do? If you don't know than how can you call this shady or secret?

Instead of arguing admit you don't know or go do the research. Its cool you have an issue with what they did or didn't do. However if you can't confirm or admit you can't then honestly you need to just move on. Your claiming it only happened here as if it's a fact. Without proof its an opinion. And why are you arguing an opinion? Is yours better than everyone elses?

Stop name calling and get some facts or just admit your biased here (for whatever reason) so everyone can ignore you. We'd all love to get to the bottom of what happened if there is more to it. If not well I just don't know what to say. Phone Post
3/29/13 6:31 PM

orcus - 

"i dont understand..if its on the NSAC website, why cant u repost it?"

You'll argue for days but are too lazy to go to their website? Here it is: http://boxing.nv.gov/contact/Contact_Us/

"the thing they did wrong was violating their own rules (with respect to allowing additional time to make weight) "

No one was given additional time to make weight. A guy who was not a rep of the AC said they *would* do so, but it never happened. In any case, unless you're just some kind of "by the book" psycho, why would anyone have a problem with that? Missing weight is not something anyone WANTS to do or would ever voluntarily do because they have the expectation they can try again.

"and making off the record rules..."

Such as? If you mean the rounding again, since the rules don't specify a tolerance, then anything they do will be "off the record" -- just like EVERY event held in EVERY OTHER AC.

"again..this all comes down to your characterization of everyone rounding, which is totally off base"

I only found two of eight that don't round, and that doesn't include the UFC themselves who round in events without an AC; if you know of others, I'd be happy to hear it.

"the reality is that you can make weight in Quebec at 170.8, but you don't make weight in NV and in many other jurisdictions...this is FACT no matter how much you try to spin things by saying hey, they all round down!"

Yes, in NV and many other jurisdictions, 170.8 will not make weight. But 170.4 will. So your problem seems to be not that Quebec -- and most other jurisdictions -- give latitude, but that you personally don't like exactly how much latitude Quebec and some others give. Since it's not in their regs or anyone else's, one is left wondering what you are so bothered by...For days you guys' argument has been that you can't be over, period, for a title fight. Now that that's been proven false in most jurisdictions, you are suddenly incensed that you can be over by a few more ounces in one jurisdiction than another? Come on, isn't it time to drop the act?

im not asking for kizer's email address dummy..im asking for the proof that he said they round down

and you are so off reality, its not even worth arguing with you any more...my cod...

3/29/13 6:49 PM
orcus

Oh...like I said, I didn't think I shoud post his exact words unless he said it was okay, so I've paraphrased. But here you go, here is his exact quote:

ME: Hello Mr. Kizer; I'm sure you are aware of the uproar over the Quebec AC "dropping decimals" in fighter weighins at the last UFC event. I notice that there are no decimals announced or recorded for UFC events held in Las Vegas, either. For example, at UFC 156, Frank Edgar's official weight was announced and recorded as 144, while Jose Aldo's was 145. Are these simply rounded off? Are they rounded up, down, or to the nearest whole number? If the balance scale read 145 and one notch -- i.e.. 145 and 2oz for Aldo, would it be announced and recorded as 145 and remain a title fight?

KK: To be consistent with non-digital scales, I usually round-down to the nearest half-pound.  As digital scales go by .2 pound increments, 170.0, 170.2 and 170.4 would be 170, and 170.6 and 170.8 would be 170.5.

"and you are so off reality, its not even worth arguing with you any more...my cod..."

lol, I'm off reality even though I'm the only one posting facts. You're right thought, it's not worth arguing with me, because you've been proven wrong on all counts and have nothing to stand on whatsoever.

3/29/13 6:52 PM

orcus - 

Oh...like I said, I didn't think I shoud post his exact words unless he said it was okay, so I've paraphrased. But here you go, here is his exact quote:

ME: Hello Mr. Kizer; I'm sure you are aware of the uproar over the Quebec AC "dropping decimals" in fighter weighins at the last UFC event. I notice that there are no decimals announced or recorded for UFC events held in Las Vegas, either. For example, at UFC 156, Frank Edgar's official weight was announced and recorded as 144, while Jose Aldo's was 145. Are these simply rounded off? Are they rounded up, down, or to the nearest whole number? If the balance scale read 145 and one notch -- i.e.. 145 and 2oz for Aldo, would it be announced and recorded as 145 and remain a title fight?

KK: To be consistent with non-digital scales, I usually round-down to the nearest half-pound.  As digital scales go by .2 pound increments, 170.0, 170.2 and 170.4 would be 170, and 170.6 and 170.8 would be 170.5.

"and you are so off reality, its not even worth arguing with you any more...my cod..."

lol, I'm off reality even though I'm the only one posting facts. You're right thought, it's not worth arguing with me, because you've been proven wrong on all counts and have nothing to stand on whatsoever.

you are not posting facts..u are posting fragments of reality from a deranged mind...

lets do a simple example...

is there a difference between the way the Quebec and Nevada AC's rules operate with respect to weighins? yes or no?

3/29/13 6:57 PM
Standup29

Anderson's BBC in my Goku -
orcus - 

you are not posting facts..u are posting fragments of reality from a deranged mind...

lets do a simple example...

is there a difference between the way the Quebec and Nevada AC's rules operate with respect to weighins? yes or no?

Do they both round down? Yes or no?

Do the regulations on either AC state they can or do? Yes or no? Phone Post
3/29/13 6:58 PM

heres another:

what is the better practice - codifying important and quantifiable rules in the code for all to see..or keeping them off the record?

3/29/13 7:00 PM

and another:

if a government org has a written rule - all things being equal is it ok for the government org to determine to permit someone to violate that rule, even if that someone ultimately doesnt violate the rule?

3/29/13 7:00 PM

one more:

is 170.1 > 170?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.