UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Gimme a good shoulder/traps workout please

3/29/13 12:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Rumblefish
459 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hell- I'm open for any new workout routines.
But after my standard shoulder workout, theyre just nor feeling smoked.

Yesterday I did military press on the Smith
then dumbell front raises,
then curl bar rows straight up to my chin.
then dumbell shrugs.

thanks for any new ideas guys
3/29/13 12:36 PM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

More weight or more reps?
3/29/13 12:37 PM
Rumblefish
459 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yesterdays workout I went up in wieght and went up to 12-15 reps, 10 reps on last set.
Maybe i need to go high enough to where I can only bang out 6 reps?
3/29/13 1:12 PM
Shanle929
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Add snatches to the mix. Great for traps Phone Post 3.0
3/29/13 8:27 PM
Wiggy
243 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subbed to come back and post later
3/29/13 9:16 PM
NeoSpartan
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seated barbell OH Press 10x3
... Use a weight that is ~85% of your max. You want to finish your entire 30 total reps. Establish that weight this week go up or down if you need to. Next week 10x4, week after that 10x5. 1 min between sets.

v grip rows + Lateral Raises 5x10
... superset, 1 min between sets, last set go for it rep out as high as you can

Dumbbell OHP + Barbell Shrugs 5x12+25
... superset, 30 secs between sets
3/29/13 9:17 PM
NeoSpartan
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^that's assuming you have a separate back workout in addition to your traps/shoulder work
3/30/13 10:38 AM
MbA7601
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really like incline shrugs, although I think it hits more like upper mid back Phone Post 3.0
3/30/13 10:59 AM
The Adversary
412 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shanle929 - Add snatches to the mix. Great for traps Phone Post 3.0

Agreed.Also, hang-cleans to overhead press or push press.
3/30/13 1:56 PM
OiKing

I try a few different things but my favorite tends to be this one.

Overhead Press- I cycle through working up to 8, 5, 3, and 1 rep maxes.
Dumbbell Shoulder Presses- 2 x 6-8 with a heavy weight and then I drop the weight and rep out.
Lateral Raises- 3 x 10-15
Dumbbell Cleans- 3 x 5-8
Barbell Shrugs (sometimes behind the back)- work up to a heavy set of 8
Dumbbell Shrugs - 3 x 20
Cable or Machine Shrugs- 3 x 15

I don't always do the dumbbell shoulder presses. Depends on how I feel after the overhead presses. If I am benching really heavy that week I will drop the overhead presses and just do the dumbbell presses. Sometimes I do hang clean and push presses or behind the neck push presses at the end of training. I always like to mix going heavy and low reps with going lighter and getting in a lot of volume. Some people do better with low volume but I have always responded well to high volume.
3/30/13 2:55 PM
Taku
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For shoulders that are hard to dial in...I often use pre-exhaustian, or training in ZONEs.

Pre-exhaust by doing 1-2 isolated movements immediately followed by a compound movement.

EXAMPLE:

Lateral raise folowed by OH press.

Of Front raise, side raise, rear raise followed by OH press.

ZONE training is done by breaking the full range into 1-3 sections.

EXAMPLE:

OH Press bottom 1/3 - middle 1/3 - top 1/3. Shoot for about 8 reps (20 sec TUT) in each 1/3.

TAKU 

3/31/13 2:24 PM
Barbartha
328 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Standing barbell military press

Sitting Arnold press dumbbell 

Deads

Cleans

Any heavy rows

If you want traps, shrugs are not the way to go. ROWS!

3/31/13 7:06 PM
Leigh
844 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You don't have to feel wrecked to get results. You probably want lower reps though. Phone Post
4/1/13 2:06 PM
fuzzislipperz
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Heavy deads make my traps grow more than shrugs ever have.

Lower your reps and increase the weight on overhead presses...also wouldn't be a bad idea to get out of the smith machine and use a barbell or dumbbells. Phone Post 3.0
4/1/13 4:16 PM
TuLegit

Kettlebell Phone Post 3.0
4/2/13 10:49 AM
vermonter
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/02/13 10:49 AM
I agree with Leigh, and here you go:

Bench press 7 x 3 ish

Rows 5 x 5 ish

Wheelbarrow for laps

For the last one, just put playground or tube sand into a wheelbarrow up to maybe 300 or 400 lbs (depending on the wheelbarrow and your strength) and do laps around your yard, driveway, garage, whatever.

For the bench, don't use a PL arch. Just a normal flat backed gym bench. Or you can do an incline. Doesn't really matter.

Do each exercise once to thrice weekly. Every time you do it, do more reps or sets or weight.
4/7/13 5:32 AM
adc559

Best trap exercise hands down
Farmers walk!! Phone Post
4/8/13 4:06 AM
12ealdeal

vermonter - I agree with Leigh, and here you go:

Bench press 7 x 3 ish

Rows 5 x 5 ish

Wheelbarrow for laps

For the last one, just put playground or tube sand into a wheelbarrow up to maybe 300 or 400 lbs (depending on the wheelbarrow and your strength) and do laps around your yard, driveway, garage, whatever.

For the bench, don't use a PL arch. Just a normal flat backed gym bench. Or you can do an incline. Doesn't really matter.

Do each exercise once to thrice weekly. Every time you do it, do more reps or sets or weight.
Would this wheelbarrow exercise pretty much be considered a variation of the farmers walk? Phone Post 3.0
4/8/13 12:06 PM
vermonter
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/08/13 12:08 PM
12ealdeal - 
vermonter - I agree with Leigh, and here you go:

Bench press 7 x 3 ish

Rows 5 x 5 ish

Wheelbarrow for laps

Would this wheelbarrow exercise pretty much be considered a variation of the farmers walk? Phone Post 3.0

I much prefer a wheelbarrow to a farmer's walk. More of a full body exercise and more fun, but yes, there are many similarities.
4/8/13 5:17 PM
compaqmac
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub for later Phone Post
4/15/13 12:46 PM
s98ronin

I do:
Hang clean 5 x 3 reps

High pull 5 x 5 reps

Shrug or Haney shrug 3 x 15 reps

Superset of: DB lateral raise + DB press 3 x 10 + 10 reps of each

Neck bridges on judo mat or exercice ball 3 x 15 reps
4/15/13 2:15 PM
TuLegit

Kettlebell- presses, snatches, clean n presses, squat n press, whatever else you want to add in but those will get you more defined shoulders. Works for me. Phone Post 3.0
4/16/13 9:38 AM
WilsonBeatMySkinRed
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some guy - How do you do a military press on a smith machine?

Seems like it would be weird Phone Post 3.0

I used to do behind the neck presses in the smith...I fucking hate the smith though. military and btn presses are the only things that should be going on in that devil contraption.
4/16/13 11:20 PM
sside maurice
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another vote for hang clean and press.

If you want more of a workout, incrementally add more weight.
5/12/13 11:32 PM
younggunz

Hi everyone, just going to throw my 2 cents in here, I like to do my shoulders and traps together and just a couple variations you could try:

Can raises-hold the dumbell like a soda can bring to shoulder height, can do this to the front and side.

Reverse dumbell flys, these incorporate traps and rear delts for you, think of the motion as trying to hug a big barrel.

Facepulls- put a rope attachment onto a cable machin, take it to the highest setting. Grasp the rope, lean back till ur at an almost 45 degree angle to the ground then using only your shoulders and traps pull the rope towards your eyeballs.

Hope this gives you some new ideas and helps!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.