UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Diaz attorney releases private text messages

3/30/13 4:01 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Enemies
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lawyers. :(

Really though, this just makes Nick seem petty. For a pot-smoker the dude seems to always be tightly wound.
3/30/13 5:57 AM
Rearnakedwaffle
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/30/13 5:57 AM
I think GSP wanted to bring 0.9 lbs worth of Seagal's deadliest stuff into the Octagon - thus the off the books rule change
3/30/13 6:04 AM
Sergio88
401 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When Dana said him and Lorenzo want GSP back in Vegas for his next fight maybe they knew shit might hit the fan. Phone Post 3.0
3/30/13 6:12 AM
thestaton

Mersch is going to get thrown under the bus, and rightly so. Lawyers are snakes anyway you look at it.

This isn't about Nick Diaz, GSP, or any of the fighters.

We will probably never know if GSP made weight. At this point I don't care. He shouldn't have to forfeit anything. The UFC should have to give Nick Diaz his win bonus, apologize to Nick Diaz & GSP, and make sure this never happens again.

This is about shady commissions, shady lawyers, and it needs to keep being talked about.

Don King ruined boxing, and it's bullshit like this that is going to hurt the UFC. At the end of the day the sport is being jeopardized for money.
3/30/13 7:22 AM
Macedawgg
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL at throwing all laywers under the same bus. . .

Foolish.

The example set by Mersch is far from the norm.

3/30/13 7:47 AM
Haulport

caposa - 

"Michael P. Mersch serves as the Senior Vice President of Business and Legal Affairs and Assistant General Counsel for the Ultimate Fighting Championship® (“UFC”) organization. He is responsible for negotiating and drafting all fighter agreements, merchandising and endorsement agreements, The Ultimate Fighter® reality television series, drafting legislation and regulatory provisions, and for government relations efforts on behalf of the UFC."

MM: "I have been told everyone made weight so there's nothing to make an issue about. He might want to focus on how he's going to win the fight rather than spending the night making excuses about why he lost."

Seems like a really unprofessional response

Seems like?

lol

Everyone involved with Zuffa are a bunch of low class, unprofessional dicks.
3/30/13 7:49 AM
6ULDV8
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There was a video of him telling the Diaz camp that anything up to 170.9 was considered 170.  I saw it before it was taken down from youtube.  BJPENN.com still has it up though I think.

His brother just had to cut anything over 155 for his title fight.  Nate would have loved to have this conversation before his fight with Bendo.  

I could definitely see Nick taking exception to this little off the record thing.

3/30/13 7:56 AM
richit

If there was anything to learn from all this it would be that Nick Diaz is up there as a hard working humble guy who just fights and never makes excuses for his loses. sounds like nick has surrounded himself around some very good lawyers who have his best interests at heart. I hope he really has retired so that we can begin the process of inducting him into the Hall of Frame as G.O.A.T Phone Post
3/30/13 8:11 AM
Standup29

6ULDV8 -

There was a video of him telling the Diaz camp that anything up to 170.9 was considered 170.  I saw it before it was taken down from youtube.  BJPENN.com still has it up though I think.

His brother just had to cut anything over 155 for his title fight.  Nate would have loved to have this conversation before his fight with Bendo.  

I could definitely see Nick taking exception to this little off the record thing.

Where was Nates fight?

Exactly Phone Post
3/30/13 8:25 AM
Standup29

Ingrained Media - Not trying to defend Mersch here. However the UFC legal department has a long history of being evasive when being communicated with in non-traditional formats or by people that may or may not be the agent of record. Especially with a guy like Nick because you have Ceaser on record as his manager and at the events, he has all of the licensed cornermen in Canada and since Mersch is responsible for final approval on all sponsorships he likely deals with Fosco for Nick.

I have had my own personal experiences with him where a fighter will have to contact him to let him know I am representing them. There is no barrier of entry to be an MMA agent or Manager so if you are getting texts about an off the record matter you surely are not going to respond in writing via text when you have direct access to the athlete, the corner, his manager of record and can reach out to the team handeling his sponsorships. None of which are connected to this lawyer.

Again this whole situation could have been handled differently, the last pound can be harder than the previous five. But Mersch being evasive could have more to do with the amount of people handling Nick's affairs.
Good point. After potentially knowing he was recorded (not sure if this was after the video was up) it's not surprising his response was more or less fuck off. He didn't have to let them know how the QAC interprets the decimal. After Nate didn't seem to know he didn't get a pound I though it was pretty cool he let them know. He should not have used the words off the record but he was still doing them a solid.

Look at their history as of late. Has the Cesar Gracie camp seemed like the most professional and organized group? Talented fighters and they have a ton of fans, me included but this whole fiasco is just dumb at this point. The QAC and all AC's for that matter need to be more consistent with rules across all combat sports but I think in this case, outside of one ufc event they have been consistent with how they handle the weigh ins. Only one event recorded decimals and they were in half pounds. Phone Post
3/30/13 8:51 AM
Winston Wolf

Edited: 03/30/13 9:26 AM
Standup29 - 
Ingrained Media - Not trying to defend Mersch here. However the UFC legal department has a long history of being evasive when being communicated with in non-traditional formats or by people that may or may not be the agent of record. Especially with a guy like Nick because you have Ceaser on record as his manager and at the events, he has all of the licensed cornermen in Canada and since Mersch is responsible for final approval on all sponsorships he likely deals with Fosco for Nick.

I have had my own personal experiences with him where a fighter will have to contact him to let him know I am representing them. There is no barrier of entry to be an MMA agent or Manager so if you are getting texts about an off the record matter you surely are not going to respond in writing via text when you have direct access to the athlete, the corner, his manager of record and can reach out to the team handeling his sponsorships. None of which are connected to this lawyer.

Again this whole situation could have been handled differently, the last pound can be harder than the previous five. But Mersch being evasive could have more to do with the amount of people handling Nick's affairs.

Good point. After potentially knowing he was recorded (not sure if this was after the video was up) it's not surprising his response was more or less fuck off. He didn't have to let them know how the QAC interprets the decimal. After Nate didn't seem to know he didn't get a pound I though it was pretty cool he let them know. He should not have used the words off the record but he was still doing them a solid.

Look at their history as of late. Has the Cesar Gracie camp seemed like the most professional and organized group? Talented fighters and they have a ton of fans, me included but this whole fiasco is just dumb at this point. The QAC and all AC's for that matter need to be more consistent with rules across all combat sports but I think in this case, outside of one ufc event they have been consistent with how they handle the weigh ins. Only one event recorded decimals and they were in half pounds. Phone Post

disagree...Mersh tried to even deny he had the conversation because he knew it was shady and a lottt of people think that..pretty cool ??? Nick already was on weight why did they wait till an hour before weigh in ? not cool Did they seem happy ?
3/30/13 8:58 AM
Winston Wolf

im a gsp fan.diaz is my least favorite fighter
3/30/13 9:18 AM
Tombmatter

Isn't that fucking illegal? Maybe get the Gambling comission in Quebec to look in to it, or are they "connected" too?
3/30/13 9:23 AM
Curtis_E_Bare
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tombmatter - Isn't that fucking illegal? Maybe get the Gambling comission in Quebec to look in to it, or are they "connected" too?

No, it is not illegal. The Quebec AC broke no rules. Or are or referring to Mersch's text messages? Because stonewalling a lawyer through text messages is not illegal either, at least in Quebec.
3/30/13 9:30 AM
wheeels

This is Diaz's pathetic attempt to talk his way into another title match.

Total bullshit and the UFC better not fall for it (again). It's fine that he's convinced some of his semi-retarded fans on this board.
3/30/13 9:33 AM
Kevin bacon
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

God damn, this thread is seriously PACKED WITH ZUFFA SHILLS! ..... The UG is a shadow of what it used to be... Phone Post
3/30/13 9:37 AM
studiocamp
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From mersch's body language and nervous tone in the video to being short and stand-offish through texts you can tell he just oozes with douchebaggery.

One thing is for sure, the UFC has handled this terribly.
3/30/13 9:40 AM
Standup29

Winston Wolf -
Standup29 - 

disagree...Mersh tried to even deny he had the conversation because he knew it was shady and a lottt of people think that..pretty cool ??? Nick already was on weight why did they wait till an hour before weigh in ? not cool Did they seem happy ?
You do grasp the intent of the text message was to attempt to imply GSP weighed more than 170 right?

MM was basically saying no comment because he was being drug through mud AFTER trying to help the Diaz camp right? You understand he didn't have to say anything to them right? He didn't have to explain how the QAC interprets the decimal. It was wrong to try and explain ir to them after Nate didn't seem to be aware of what he could weigh in at. I admit that all day. What's shady is how the Diaz camp is treating someone who tried to help them.

And can we stop saying shady!!!! Now you fukers have me saying it! Phone Post
3/30/13 9:41 AM
Standup29

Kevin bacon - God damn, this thread is seriously PACKED WITH ZUFFA SHILLS! ..... The UG is a shadow of what it used to be... Phone Post
Why is it when people disagree they are shills or haters? I don't get it! Phone Post
3/30/13 9:43 AM
deadlyonetwo3
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Look people can say and think whatever they want. Of course the Diaz camp is pursuing this harder because of the desire for a rematch, but the fact remains.... If GSP weighed 170.9 and they scaled that down to 170, we have a real problem here. The responses to the inquiries made by the Diaz camp here are COMPLETELY unprofessional and out of line.

"What are you talking about. Focus on the fight we don't know anything."

What a bunch of bullshit!!!! If GSP failed to properly make weight, the commission needs to be held accountable. I don't know that a rematch is in order though I do believe that Diaz could have won that fight, but the commissions can't be allowed to pull shit like this and it needs to be addressed. The next fight we all want to see for GSP is Hendricks, but this issue needs to be looked at and taken seriously. Phone Post 3.0
3/30/13 9:44 AM
studiocamp
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wheeels - This is Diaz's pathetic attempt to talk his way into another title match.

Total bullshit and the UFC better not fall for it (again). It's fine that he's convinced some of his semi-retarded fans on this board.

Or since 3 out of GSP's last 4 fights were in Montreal he will most likely be fighting in Quebec again and this is something that needs to get straightened out.

I don't want to see a rematch because Nick didn't even put up a good fight against Georges, and I don't want to see another 5 rounds of that.
3/30/13 9:45 AM
Curtis_E_Bare

Jacobmccrmck - 
wheeels - This is Diaz's pathetic attempt to talk his way into another title match.

Take Diaz and gsp out of the equation is the situation not fucked up? You can argue Diaz karma and all that shit but you really think the way ufc/commission handled themselves is ok? Phone Post 3.0

What in particular do you not like about how things were handled? It's been shown several times that no rules were broken for the weigh-ins for UFC 158. So what is your point of contention with the Quebec AC? This leaves us with the Mersch tape and text. Are you upset Mersch was mean to Diaz's lawyer? Maybe he told a fib? If Dana sends him to bed without supper is everything right with the world again?
3/30/13 9:59 AM
deadlyonetwo3
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Curtis_E_Bare -
Jacobmccrmck - 
wheeels - This is Diaz's pathetic attempt to talk his way into another title match.

Take Diaz and gsp out of the equation is the situation not fucked up? You can argue Diaz karma and all that shit but you really think the way ufc/commission handled themselves is ok? Phone Post 3.0

What in particular do you not like about how things were handled? It's been shown several times that no rules were broken for the weigh-ins for UFC 158. So what is your point of contention with the Quebec AC? This leaves us with the Mersch tape and text. Are you upset Mersch was mean to Diaz's lawyer? Maybe he told a fib? If Dana sends him to bed without supper is everything right with the world again?
Dude the champ missed weight and no one has anything to say about it. I completely agree with the person you're responding to. This is an issue that people aside needs to be looked at. I'm sure GSP was always going to make weight, but the commission has to answer as to how someone that scales 170.9 was considered as on weight for a 170 pound title contest. That's a miss where I'm from. Phone Post 3.0
Tombmatter

Curtis_E_Bare - 
Tombmatter - Isn't that fucking illegal? Maybe get the Gambling comission in Quebec to look in to it, or are they "connected" too?

No, it is not illegal. The Quebec AC broke no rules. Or are or referring to Mersch's text messages? Because stonewalling a lawyer through text messages is not illegal either, at least in Quebec.

Quebec AC may not have broke any of their own rules, but they (and many other AC's) are picking and choosing when to allow weights being rounded down and when not. On what basis are they making their choice in each time? Corruption, favouritism? Seems shady, and should be looked in to, especially from gambling point of view.

I believe the UFC rep, Mersch, also said that they would be willing to break Quebec AC rules if needed (give more time to cut weight). Do they do this every time, and if not why this time? Corruption, favouritism? Should be looked in to.
deadlyonetwo3

TheMastro -
Jacobmccrmck - The weight is not the issue anymore. It's the commission changing rules to potentially benefit the home town hero. Ask Bernard Hopkins why he had to loose that .9 against Jean Pascal Phone Post 3.0
This plain n simple Phone Post
Agreed Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.