UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Drysdale on Xtreme Couture, Lloyd Irvin, BJJ

3/29/13 5:48 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Crooklyn
674 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/29/13 5:48 PM
BloodyElbow.com, Featured Writer

Brazilian jiu jitsu ace, Robert Drysdale discusses the migration of Xtreme Couture team members to his gym, the politics and over-commercialization of jiu jitsu, Lloyd Irvin and Vinny Magalhaes.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/3/29/4160014/robert-drysdale-discusses-xtreme-couture-gracies-lloyd-irvin

3/29/13 6:02 PM
Æsbiorn von Øystæin
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi Crooklyn! :-) Phone Post 3.0
3/29/13 6:04 PM
Crooklyn
674 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi!

3/29/13 6:08 PM
RickStorm
1603 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Forum Admin

great read.. thanks crooklyn!!

3/29/13 6:10 PM
vaginal tear
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

W the new sub feature on the app, articles like this may be missed. So ill. TTT Phone Post 3.0
3/29/13 6:11 PM
Crooklyn

Thank you gentlemen!

3/29/13 6:20 PM
PittWrestler
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wonderful article! Gives a good insight into what's going on in Vegas. Thanks for transcribing all these, bet it is a pain, but I prefer reading than watching much of the time.

Is syndicate he references the place John Gunderson is involved with? Always liked following him as an Oregon guy. Speaking of which, I know Robert Follis moved down there and is coaching, would love to hear more about Follis as well. Phone Post
3/29/13 6:33 PM
jjchgo
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good read. thanks!
3/29/13 6:37 PM
Crooklyn

PittWrestler -  Wonderful article! Gives a good insight into what's going on in Vegas. Thanks for transcribing all these, bet it is a pain, but I prefer reading than watching much of the time.

Is syndicate he references the place John Gunderson is involved with? Always liked following him as an Oregon guy. Speaking of which, I know Robert Follis moved down there and is coaching, would love to hear more about Follis as well. Phone Post

Not sure, but I know Mike Pyle, Matt Riddle, Brad Tavares and several others are there. Vinny trains there too.

3/29/13 6:38 PM
vaginal tear
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes. Gunderson trains and coaches there. Phone Post 3.0
3/30/13 12:10 AM
Crooklyn

bump

3/30/13 1:27 AM
jdb2414
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Robert is an awesome dude. I trained at his gym (under Beecher) for a long time, but since Mark left I've decided to take a break for a while after about 15 years of training. Point is, I'm not some Drysdale disciple, so I'm not just pumping him and his gym.

He's genuinely a good guy, as far as I've seen. I think he's just confident that if he works hard, offers great instruction, then he doesn't need to screw members over with ridiculous terms. I've also never heard him talk shit about another gym or instructor. He never hit me up for privates, or pushes me to focus more on BJJ than Muay Thai, like every other BJJ fuck tries to do (relentlessly).

He's super conservative when it comes to his gym. We all (the Muay Thai team) tried to get him to expand and add a ring, etc., but he was satisfied with his conservative growth plans. Really smart way to handle his business.

Anyway, I'd definitely recommend visiting him if you're in Vegas. Eventually, I'll switch over to training strictly BJJ and go back to his gym with my kids, and I'm looking forward to it.
3/30/13 1:38 AM
rnunz
202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Later Phone Post 3.0
3/30/13 1:39 AM
rnunz
202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Later Phone Post 3.0
3/30/13 1:40 AM
mmaattorney
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank you good stuff Phone Post
3/30/13 1:46 AM
vaginal tear

Jdb. Voted up for honest assessment. Phone Post 3.0
3/30/13 2:04 AM
ChaosOverkill
451 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great interview Crooklyn voted up as usual

3/30/13 2:06 AM
Kid Charlemagne
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Up up up

Thanks ! Phone Post 3.0
3/30/13 2:08 AM
flyingtoehold
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4 later Phone Post
3/30/13 2:18 AM
morse
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was great read. Thanks Crooklyn

3/30/13 2:29 AM
JoejitsuMD
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jdb2414 - Robert is an awesome dude. I trained at his gym (under Beecher) for a long time, but since Mark left I've decided to take a break for a while after about 15 years of training. Point is, I'm not some Drysdale disciple, so I'm not just pumping him and his gym.

He's genuinely a good guy, as far as I've seen. I think he's just confident that if he works hard, offers great instruction, then he doesn't need to screw members over with ridiculous terms. I've also never heard him talk shit about another gym or instructor. He never hit me up for privates, or pushes me to focus more on BJJ than Muay Thai, like every other BJJ fuck tries to do (relentlessly).

He's super conservative when it comes to his gym. We all (the Muay Thai team) tried to get him to expand and add a ring, etc., but he was satisfied with his conservative growth plans. Really smart way to handle his business.

Anyway, I'd definitely recommend visiting him if you're in Vegas. Eventually, I'll switch over to training strictly BJJ and go back to his gym with my kids, and I'm looking forward to it.
You should ask him how he feels about Eddie Bravo. Phone Post
3/30/13 7:10 AM
Hammerfister
388 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Later Phone Post
3/30/13 7:24 AM
Herman Munster
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is rather interesting to see what has become of the once super gym xtreme couture.

3/30/13 8:27 AM
Steve4192
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Herman Munster - 

It is rather interesting to see what has become of the once super gym xtreme couture.

It happens to almost all MMA gyms.

It happened to Carlson Gracie, it happened to Chute Boxe, it happened to Brazilian Top Team, it happened to Team Quest, it happened to Miletich Fighting Systems, it happened to the Wolfslair, etc. Teams never seem to last more than five years or so beyond their peak. It really makes you appreciate the few gyms out there that have have managed to keep things together for the long-haul (Jackson's, ATT, AKA, etc.).
3/30/13 8:33 AM
man meets fate
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His gym has really grown. Almost all of xtreme couture guys left dor him, he expanded his whole team, I thought I heard he even got van arsdale down there for wrestling.

Van arsfale for wrestling, drysdale and his guys for bjj, mcsweeney for striking etc. That gym has really grown.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.