UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Drysdale on Xtreme Couture, Lloyd Irvin, BJJ

3/31/13 10:50 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
dhughes
470 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great interview! FYI, the UG News link to the article is broken/not-correct.
3/31/13 11:22 AM
SPoulin
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Drysdale is the man. His gym is awesome and the people that train there are super cool.

MMA guys, Jiu Jitsu aces, MT guys, Wrestlers. They have it all.

3/31/13 12:36 PM
Unseen
189 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Steve4192 - 
Herman Munster - 

It is rather interesting to see what has become of the once super gym xtreme couture.

It happens to almost all MMA gyms.

It happened to Carlson Gracie, it happened to Chute Boxe, it happened to Brazilian Top Team, it happened to Team Quest, it happened to Miletich Fighting Systems, it happened to the Wolfslair, etc. Teams never seem to last more than five years or so beyond their peak. It really makes you appreciate the few gyms out there that have have managed to keep things together for the long-haul (Jackson's, ATT, AKA, etc.).

I think the super gyms ill eventually die out, and that's a good thing.  The biggest reason is that fighters rarely generate money for a gym.  Here in San Diego we have multiple super gyms (Alliance, Victory, Arena, Blackhouse) and they all have super  high overheads.

What ends up happening is:

1. The top students end up starting their own schools.  
  2. The gym owners pay more attention to the fighters(who don't pay dues) and not enough attention to the regular students (who do pay dues).
  3. Fighters in the UFC or on winning streaks get treated like kings while fighters (who may have been there from the start) who are losing, injured etc get pushed aside.  Loyalty is rare.
A BJJ school, with a small mat area that concentrates on childen and family can actualy be more proftable than a super gym due to:
  1. Way less overhead (staff, facilities, equipment, marketing, and travling with fighters)
  2. Greater student retention (owners directly train and develop relationships with the students and parents of child students)
3/31/13 1:03 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Robert is great. We're very pleased to have Drysdale BlackBelt Abmar Barbosa teaching here at our gym. Abmar is as talented as they come and he is a great representitive for Robert.

3/31/13 1:20 PM
Bat21
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nick Fury - Excellent interview. Thanks!

Seconded. Thanks Crooky!

3/31/13 2:36 PM
man meets fate
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't wait till him and riddle comeback to Houston. Sadly I think this might b his last fight for legacy, it was a pleasure to hang with him, corey goodwin and mcsweeney on both occasions. Please don't go :(
3/31/13 3:34 PM
6ULDV8
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

3/31/13 3:38 PM
hackett
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unseen - 
Steve4192 - 
Herman Munster - 

It is rather interesting to see what has become of the once super gym xtreme couture.

It happens to almost all MMA gyms.

It happened to Carlson Gracie, it happened to Chute Boxe, it happened to Brazilian Top Team, it happened to Team Quest, it happened to Miletich Fighting Systems, it happened to the Wolfslair, etc. Teams never seem to last more than five years or so beyond their peak. It really makes you appreciate the few gyms out there that have have managed to keep things together for the long-haul (Jackson's, ATT, AKA, etc.).

I think the super gyms ill eventually die out, and that's a good thing.  The biggest reason is that fighters rarely generate money for a gym.  Here in San Diego we have multiple super gyms (Alliance, Victory, Arena, Blackhouse) and they all have super  high overheads.

What ends up happening is:

1. The top students end up starting their own schools.  
  2. The gym owners pay more attention to the fighters(who don't pay dues) and not enough attention to the regular students (who do pay dues).
  3. Fighters in the UFC or on winning streaks get treated like kings while fighters (who may have been there from the start) who are losing, injured etc get pushed aside.  Loyalty is rare.
A BJJ school, with a small mat area that concentrates on childen and family can actualy be more proftable than a super gym due to:
  1. Way less overhead (staff, facilities, equipment, marketing, and travling with fighters)
  2. Greater student retention (owners directly train and develop relationships with the students and parents of child students)

The latter seems the direction he wants to take, just including some MMA coaching.

Yeah, this is really interesting to me. MMA business just isn't always what we think it is.

He seems a really good guy. Maybe I'll visit his academy next time I'm in LV.

Great interview!!!

3/31/13 3:54 PM
Evzey
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks crooklyn Phone Post
3/31/13 3:55 PM
Anderson P. Sonnen
710 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IN for later.

Crooklyn you always bring the hot stuff ;) Phone Post
3/31/13 5:40 PM
Doem
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

well they said the same thing about Militech. These guys are going around the county taking on other ventures and the gyms suffer
3/31/13 5:44 PM
BRZ

Good one Crooklyn Phone Post 3.0
3/31/13 5:59 PM
Brian J DSouza

Good article/interview, Steph!

3/31/13 7:32 PM
Russ
278 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Later Phone Post 3.0
3/31/13 8:28 PM
burner22
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoejitsuMD -
jdb2414 - Robert is an awesome dude. I trained at his gym (under Beecher) for a long time, but since Mark left I've decided to take a break for a while after about 15 years of training. Point is, I'm not some Drysdale disciple, so I'm not just pumping him and his gym.

He's genuinely a good guy, as far as I've seen. I think he's just confident that if he works hard, offers great instruction, then he doesn't need to screw members over with ridiculous terms. I've also never heard him talk shit about another gym or instructor. He never hit me up for privates, or pushes me to focus more on BJJ than Muay Thai, like every other BJJ fuck tries to do (relentlessly).

He's super conservative when it comes to his gym. We all (the Muay Thai team) tried to get him to expand and add a ring, etc., but he was satisfied with his conservative growth plans. Really smart way to handle his business.

Anyway, I'd definitely recommend visiting him if you're in Vegas. Eventually, I'll switch over to training strictly BJJ and go back to his gym with my kids, and I'm looking forward to it.
You should ask him how he feels about Eddie Bravo. Phone Post
What does he think about bravo? Phone Post
3/31/13 9:22 PM
Brian J DSouza

Someone should ask Drysdale what he thinks of Xtreme Couture's grappling coach Neil Melanson.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.