UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> New CEO taking RYU out of the MMA business

3/30/13 2:28 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Handsome Jack
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They can get bent with their overpriced bullshit. Six Deuce by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night Phone Post
3/30/13 2:29 AM
12SixElbow
631 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

30 bucks a shirt... For basically, a plain colored t shirt...

No wonder they're taking losses

3/30/13 2:30 AM
12SixElbow
631 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Team GDP - 
CindyO - 

Didn't RYU even have a spammer on the UG pushing their stuff? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Cindy

the RYU shill. lol. guy said he only owned 'a few shares' or something like that LOL.

they had some okay stuff but their prices are fucking insane. 

i'll stick with my six deuce shirts 

Yeah.

There was a pretty epic thread on it.

3/30/13 2:53 AM
David Mortensen
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12SixElbow - 
Team GDP - 
CindyO - 

Didn't RYU even have a spammer on the UG pushing their stuff? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Cindy

the RYU shill. lol. guy said he only owned 'a few shares' or something like that LOL.

they had some okay stuff but their prices are fucking insane. 

i'll stick with my six deuce shirts 

Yeah.

There was a pretty epic thread on it.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=1936826

i can't believe he went on for that long pretending like he didnt work for them... blatant keyword stuffing and shilling

3/30/13 2:55 AM
Brabatross
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The management team can't be that great, they obviously did no research into the sport. Phone Post
3/30/13 4:07 AM
Kage
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"formed around executives"

Yes i can see this being a succeess
3/30/13 4:51 AM
Sergio88
502 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12SixElbow -

Saw this coming...

I don't know who they have with any experience in athletic wear, or any type of clothing, but they seemed to have REALLY missed the mark with nearly everything they did.

They just weren't doing anything different than dozens of other established companies with cheaper clothes that are better IMO. I mean, 150 dollar duffel bag? What does that do better than my 40 dollar nike bag?

I mean... THESE are 60 dollars...

That is some horrible photoshop. Phone Post 3.0
3/30/13 5:14 AM
Macedawgg
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn!

That's a lot of cash to insiders. . . for a company with less than $100k annual revenue. . .

Pink Sheet. . .

Who was pimping this in 2012?  That was a long thread. . .

3/30/13 6:36 AM
neonbelly
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So how were these garments supposed to prevent diseases and viruses?
3/30/13 6:37 AM
neonbelly
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If the writer's gonna allude to fighters being affected by "viruses that live in MMA gyms" you'd think he'd also explain wtf he's talking about.
3/30/13 8:32 AM
Culinary Union Delegate
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

neonbelly - So how were these garments supposed to prevent diseases and viruses?

A priest, a rabbi and an imam say blessings over every piece of RYU gear, hence the price

3/30/13 8:56 AM
john joe
401 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only, web/editorial
with that corporate philosophy they would have been better off going after surfers, skateboarders etc as athletes

personally i think that trying to market sports apparel should be more than one sport; a big part of Affliction's win was that they were into music and other sports - there was a lot of cross-promo and positioning in different genres

to pump 2.6m into an apparel brand focused entirely on mma is lunacy; and whoever was in charge of marketing must be borderline negligent not to consider crossing over into something like surfing etc as well

the guy says himself, while at Sports Authority he didnt want to touch MMA brands as the sport is so small - then he goes and does RYU?!
3/30/13 8:59 AM
john joe
401 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only, web/editorial
w9 - “When we came in, we shook up the entire industry. We rebuilt this industry, we rebuilt the fight business. And we think we have the right plan and the right strategy over the next five years, and I think mixed martial arts and the UFC is going to be the biggest sport in the world. Bigger than soccer, bigger than football, bigger than anything." - Dana White

RYU and major soccer apparel provider Adidas are roughly neck and neck in size and popularity, as are UFC and soccer.
3/30/13 10:56 AM
Ingrained Media
192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/30/13 11:00 AM
Ingrained Media, President
Seraldo Babalu - Strikeforce's Jon Fitch?

Nice research over there at ingrained media.

LOL at me, I am not a journalist and I do not play one on TV. The keyboard came free with the laptop, that is my only credentials. I write these things when I have time. I do not have the same resources that the media has. Speaking of them, where are they on this? Isn't there a website that covers MMA sponsorship or have they too become UFCPayout/sellouts?

Sorry about the Fitch mess up, honestly his fights are so boring I forget where I saw them. Always thought they missed his calling. Where some MMA promotions bring in singers or Capriola dancers the UFC could have used Jon "The Intermission" Fitch.

Management team had Nike, Nike Golf, Armani and Luluemon backgrounds. Most have been replaced by David Campisi formerly from Sports Authority.
3/30/13 11:06 AM
Dougie
1102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a t-shirt company but I am not about to sponsor anyone or pay a company to let people wear my t-shirts anywhere.

Obviously I have no business sense.

3/30/13 11:07 AM
Trombles
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RYU? Never heard of it Phone Post
3/30/13 11:26 AM
Ingrained Media
192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ingrained Media, President
Dougie - 

I have a t-shirt company but I am not about to sponsor anyone or pay a company to let people wear my t-shirts anywhere.

LOL VU for this one
3/30/13 11:37 AM
Dougie
1102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/30/13 11:41 AM
Ingrained Media - 
Dougie - 

LOL VU for this one

I'm not kidding. I did just that. I started up my own t-shirt company. Check out my thread on teh OG. I posted some designs and my absolute lack of a business plan or customer service.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/ns/mma.cfm?go=forum.VersionCheck&thread=2153765&forum=2&updLastViewed=1

3/30/13 11:53 AM
mma trane
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder which one of jon fitch's sponsors will get fitched next
3/30/13 12:11 PM
blupitt
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol I guess that's why sports authority is so much bigger than dicks? Phone Post
3/30/13 2:41 PM
Hessian
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pump and dump, clean, rinse, repeat
3/30/13 2:58 PM
XxLiveBaitxX
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He is risen!!!!

The return of broke Fitch.
3/30/13 3:28 PM
ocbadapple

LOL. What a surprise. They should have left the people at Nike and elsewhere you know NOTHING about youth culture or MMA. Could have hired me for less i bet.
3/30/13 3:49 PM
DiscipleDojo
686 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kage - "formed around executives"

Yes i can see this being a succeess

Didn't want this little gem of a response to go unappreciated.  :)

Any clothing line that is priced to be worn only by sheiks in Dubai is bound to fail immensely if it tries to make a sports line. Even if it is woven by hand from the silk of virgin Laotian worms and infused with Tibetan aromatheraputic herbs...if it can't sell a plain t-shirt for less than $30 it's gonna fail.

3/30/13 4:49 PM
ocbadapple

The problem is this, MMA cannot support any clothing companies on its own. The reason is there are no MMA stores, or at least not enough to make a real industry.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.